Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Camshaft confusion

Views : 4104

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 12th, 2016, 14:13   #11
jjkenya

So - the replacement engine is already fitted. The options I have are:

1. Change the engine out again to the correct one (a T4) (approx £1500 labour)
2. Replace the camshafts in the already fitted "replacement engine" (approx £400 labour)

There is already:
- £400 labour bill for the diagnostics required to satisfy the warranty company
- £400 labour bill for the troubleshooting of why they engine wouldn't start
- £1300 labour bill for swapping out the original and replacement engines

What would you do? Anything and everything welcome, I am completely frustrated right now. What SHOULD happen is option 1, and the bill for swapping the engine and troubleshooting the cams goes to the breaker... or am I living on Mars?
jjkenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 14:54   #12
cheshired5
Premier Member

Seeing as you're not the expert in all this, I would be starting by establishing exactly who ordered what engine code and whether the breaker supplied exactly what was ordered.

From there, it will be clear who is responsible and therefore possibly liable for the so far unnecessary and wasted labour costs.

The garage has a lot of questions to answer regardless because they've either ordered the wrong engine or they've ordered it correctly but not established that they received what they ordered.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 16:52   #13
jjkenya

I ordered the engine having asked the breaker to check it was the right one. They checked twice. The garage openly said they wouldn't order it as they couldn't be responsible.

I have spoken to the breaker. They are not willing to accept any of the labour charges and said they are happy to take the engine back but that is all.

My only remaining feasible option is:
- replace the camshaft(s)
- pay the extra labour for that
- pay the troubleshooting labour and move on

The breaker was adamant the supplied engine was a T4 engine; they also checked another T4 in their yard and says it has the same camshaft. He has never heard of a T3 engine (apparently) and said I need to speak to Volvo about where this camshaft came from.

http://www.volvohowto.com/volvo-xc90...ear-2003-2014/

If I was allowed to swear a lot I would.

Last edited by jjkenya; Dec 12th, 2016 at 17:07.
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 18:02   #14
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Unless you can prove that you ordered a T4 engine the breakers will simply stonewall you saying that they provided a Volvo D5 engine for the year of your car and unfortunately they are correct.

It is hard to say this but I fear a relatively simple mistake could cost you dear, even if you elect to only change the camshaft. You will need to know what other differences exist between the T4 you had and the T3 you now have to fully understand any other implications that there may be for your car they have different designations for a reason.

Once you know the full cost to get the current replacement running you can then make a call on whether it is more effective to get the correct engine or rework this engine.

There is also the final aspect which is what warranty has the breaker provided on any of the engines, will they run correctly or not? I know of one car where I replaced the engine with one from a breaker where the 'new' engine ran worse than the old engine and to get a satisfactory engine I had to cannibalise both engines to get a good engine for that car. The breaker had apparently stated that the engine ran ok when it was driven into the yard - and that was impossible to dilute.

I do feel sorry for you as you have tried to everything correctly and been thwarted by circumstances at every move of the dice.
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 18:06   #15
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkenya View Post
The breaker was adamant the supplied engine was a T4 engine[/url]
The simple solution here is to ask the breaker how they established that what they sent was definitely a T4 and ask the garage how they've established that what they've received is definitely a T3.

The engine is unlikely to have shapeshifted in transit.
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 20:23   #16
jjkenya

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
The simple solution here is to ask the breaker how they established that what they sent was definitely a T4 and ask the garage how they've established that what they've received is definitely a T3.

The engine is unlikely to have shapeshifted in transit.
The URL below has no mention of a T3... so yes I agree, and I have asked the garage to send me a photo of where it says that on the engine cover.
If it does say T3, then yes it's the wrong engine but no I have no proof that i asked for a T4 other than my word on the phone asking twice to check.

http://www.volvohowto.com/volvo-xc90...ear-2003-2014/

The whole thing is a complete joke, to say I'm incensed is pretty understated.
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 20:56   #17
IainG
Premier Member

Hi

Quote:
The URL below has no mention of a T3.
Surely it does mention one in the previous link
given by wimorrison, although is a different vehicle.
so could infer the engine is from another platform?
Quote:
Diesel Engines

– Volvo V70 2.5D 140 hp D5252T MSA1.8, made / sold in 2000 and 2001
– Volvo V70 D5 163 hp D5244T, made / sold in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006
– Volvo V70 2.4D 130 hp D5244T2, made / sold in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006
– Volvo V70 D5 185 hp D5244T3, made / sold in 2003, 2004 and 2005
– Volvo V70 D5 185 hp D5244T4, made / sold in 2005, 2006 and 2007
– Volvo V70 2.4D 163 hp D5244T5, made / sold in 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008
– Volvo V70 2.4D 122 hp D5244T6, made / sold in 2005, 2006
– Volvo V70 2.4D 126 hp D5244T7, made / sold in 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008
Iain

Last edited by IainG; Dec 12th, 2016 at 21:04.
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 21:36   #18
Scooser

I'm hoping when you bought the replacement engine you got a receipt which detailed in writing the exact model of the engine you where buying.

If you have and the breakers supplied a different engine then you are in good shape.

However, if it's all a bit vague with little of the engine technical detail written down in transmittals or receipts then it sounds a difficult situation.

First thing is get you paperwork in order. That is what you are going to rely on. What a rotten time you've had. I feel for you, I really do
Scooser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scooser For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 21:52   #19
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkenya View Post
I have no proof that i asked for a T4 other than my word on the phone asking twice to check.
You kind of have proof because the breaker is insistent that that's what he sent.
He wouldn't be insistent on it being a T4 if being a T4 wasn't a factor.

Perhaps record your next conversation with him......
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 21:55   #20
jjkenya

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainG View Post
so could infer the engine is from another platform?
I don't really know what that means, is it normal to use a V70 engine in an XC90?

I've asked the garage for "proof" of paper work/delivery note and also a photo of the T3 label... However having spoken to the breaker today, they won't go near the labour cost so even if it is the wrong engine, dropping it and replacing it with a new one is going to be £1500 more.

The only place I would say I can go is the small claims court... but, really!?

Tags
31216227, camshaft, xc90