Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

smart motorways?

Views : 5168

Replies : 105

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 1st, 2019, 09:13   #1
derek vivian

Default smart motorways?

Can anyone remind me just what does 'smart motorway' mean? If I already obey all speed limits (which I do) and never pass a red cross on motorway lanes what else is there? There seems to be much money being spent on motorways claiming to be for making them 'smart'!
derek vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to derek vivian For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 09:39   #2
Bendolfc
Premier Member

It means focus 100% because the only thing that is really smart about them is the MIDAS loops that detect the speed of traffic and can set speed limits automatically to improve the flow of traffic (which to be fair in 2019 isn't really all that smart).

The downside is break down on a relatively quiet free flowing motorway and you are at the mercy of being spotted on CCTV by someone looking at miles and miles of motorway so the odds are your car will be sat there for a good period in a live lane and you are at the mercy of other drivers spotting you and not going straight into the back of you.

If you do break down and can't make it to an ERA which could be as much as 1.6 miles away if you have just passed one, then get out ASAP and get get over the barrier. Oh and that barrier is probably right upto the nearside of the lane so it may be fun extracting a small child via the offside door.

Oh and as for red x's if you are one of those people that ignore sucn things, don't worry too much, the SMART thing to do would have been to have the cameras able to enforce them but in typical half arsed fashion, this is currently not done as the cameras are still not type approved for it,
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bendolfc For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 20:36   #3
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

I used the m6 from j20 south yesterday since it opened as a smart mway, all the middle lane hoggers have moved to lane 3 , with lane 2 empty , they were doing 60 to 65 mph , with the bmw lane doing about 80 , is there any situation where I can legally undertake ?
Daveb
galloot633 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to galloot633 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 21:09   #4
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galloot633 View Post
I used the m6 from j20 south yesterday since it opened as a smart mway, all the middle lane hoggers have moved to lane 3 , with lane 2 empty , they were doing 60 to 65 mph , with the bmw lane doing about 80 , is there any situation where I can legally undertake ?
Daveb
None but there’s not enough Plod to enforce it.

TT
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 23:05   #5
gpl1968
VOC Member

Quote:
Daveb
Interesting. I thought it odd on the way up the M1 last Sunday evening, the number of cars in lanes 3 and 4 doing 65mph with none in lanes 1 and 2. I was in lane 1 most of the way and had the road to myself.
I hadn't experienced this behaviour previously. Is it just the latest form of madness?

1997 945 CD (B230FK) [RIP: 1991 945 Turbo (B230FT) 1992 945 SE turbo (B200FT)]
gpl1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gpl1968 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 23:45   #6
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Quote:
, is there any situation where I can legally undertake ?
Undertaking hasn't been a specific offence since 1972. Unless you are driving like a bellend constantly switching lanes etc, then there shouldn't be an issue passing on the left. Obviously on an ALR "smart" motorway there isn't much room for error though if you are doing it in L1 and the idiot decides to move over without looking.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bendolfc For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2019, 21:21   #7
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpl1968 View Post
Interesting. I thought it odd on the way up the M1 last Sunday evening, the number of cars in lanes 3 and 4 doing 65mph with none in lanes 1 and 2. I was in lane 1 most of the way and had the road to myself.
I hadn't experienced this behaviour previously. Is it just the latest form of madness?
Now they’ve made lane hogging and endorsable offence I think people enjoy doing it more... Sometimes being Bad Feels Good

I’ve noticed a rise in people lane hogging on motorways in general. Smart motorways seem to have more than their fair share of em, it’s poor road craft.

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 05:16   #8
canis
Non Fragile

Smart motorways. It's just another entrapment method to upset motorists.

Got hit by one last week. The gantry was showing 60mph, as had the last three gantrys. There was no reason to presume anything might change. The traffic was flowing perfectly smoothly. I was in the middle lane overtaking a lorry. At 60mph, using cruise control. Someone was overtaking me at about 65 I'd guess.

Suddenly the gantry changed to 40mph, only yards before I passed it. Both me and the driver beside me braked sharply, but not sharp enough. We both got the tell-tale double flash of the speed camera.

Now as everyone on this forum knows, I hate speeding offenders with a passion. And yet here I find myself.

Not recieved the summons in the post yet. But I wouldn't be suprised.

It's the modern way. Machines are telling us what to do, and we must comply.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 13:16   #9
domhart10
Volvo S40

M25 is a smart motor way now as well? all the camera's went live there too.

Was traveling off the M4 onto the M25, motor way was not busy at all but randomly the variable signs ahead of me down the road I could see said 30mph?! I had no idea why as there wasnt anything around really or no sign for queing or crash etc ... luckily there were cars in front of me who continued doing about 60mph (about 4 of them) then suddenly an almighty display of flashing started where I suddenly dropped all achors and slammed my brakes down to 30 mph ..... The motorway was still pretty empty and the next signs after that said 40mph which was weird and again the cars in front got another mighty display of camera flashing which caused everyone to slam brakes again.

driving on the M25 for another hour and saw no traffic, breakdown, queing etc etc to of warranted that drop in speed .... oh yes the time I was driving at was 1am

Under taking seems to be acceptable as well now with these smart motorways making it more of a free way as people just sit in whatever lane they want now just looking at their speed limit and many cars never got flashed or anything for undertaking.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to domhart10 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 14:04   #10
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
Smart motorways. It's just another entrapment method to upset motorists.

Got hit by one last week. The gantry was showing 60mph, as had the last three gantrys. There was no reason to presume anything might change. The traffic was flowing perfectly smoothly. I was in the middle lane overtaking a lorry. At 60mph, using cruise control. Someone was overtaking me at about 65 I'd guess.

Suddenly the gantry changed to 40mph, only yards before I passed it. Both me and the driver beside me braked sharply, but not sharp enough. We both got the tell-tale double flash of the speed camera.

Now as everyone on this forum knows, I hate speeding offenders with a passion. And yet here I find myself.

Not recieved the summons in the post yet. But I wouldn't be suprised.

It's the modern way. Machines are telling us what to do, and we must comply.
You will not receive anything if it was as you described, enforcement is inactive until 60 seconds have passed following a speed limit reduction.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bendolfc For This Useful Post: