Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S80 Wheel Alignment

Views : 1365

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2019, 15:13   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
Several years ago I remarked on the cost of a Hunter rig to my preferred tyre shop and they said that it had cost them over £30,000. It probably costs even more today.
back in 1998 a reasonable 4 wheel alignment kit was about £10,000
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 16:39   #12
tonys1966

Default wheel alignment

i like a plank of wood and some string,a few cones and if being fussy a camber gauge...lol but each to their own
tonys1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tonys1966 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 17:44   #13
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a 2007 S80 2.4 D. I'm getting new front lower Control Arms fitted to the vehicle soon, as I noticed that the bushes were perished & there's movement when you use a pry bar to replicate bumps when its jacked up. After these have been fitted, I intend to get an alignment as one should.

However, I've heard that these vehicles need to have a four wheel laser alignment that uses some form of cameras to see the toe angle etc on each wheel, as opposed to some places that seem to adjust the front end suspension only. Is this true? If so, do you have any suggestions as to where I could get a four wheel laser alignment done in the Manchester/Stockport area & what the approximate cost would be?

Thank you
i had mine done at dury lane motors in hollinwood abt 5miles from
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 17:46   #14
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a 2007 S80 2.4 D. I'm getting new front lower Control Arms fitted to the vehicle soon, as I noticed that the bushes were perished & there's movement when you use a pry bar to replicate bumps when its jacked up. After these have been fitted, I intend to get an alignment as one should.

However, I've heard that these vehicles need to have a four wheel laser alignment that uses some form of cameras to see the toe angle etc on each wheel, as opposed to some places that seem to adjust the front end suspension only. Is this true? If so, do you have any suggestions as to where I could get a four wheel laser alignment done in the Manchester/Stockport area & what the approximate cost would be?

Thank you
i had mine done at dury lane motors in hollinwood abt 5miles from manchester
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 23:39   #15
Kev0607
Premier Member

Thanks very much for the replies everyone. It does seem that the Hunter Alignment shops are few & far between, but I guess that makes sense if the equipment to do the work costs £30,000!

What's the difference between having a Hunter alignment, which is more expensive than say the ordinary alignment that I'm used to on other cars I've had then? By 'ordinary alignment', I mean the steering is locked in place & clamps/brackets are attached to each wheel & then the tie rods are adjusted if need be. I think it was referred to earlier in this thread as a 'Supertracker'.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 07:52   #16
green van man
Premier Member

If it does the job it matters not what it's called provided the guy doing the job actually knows what he is doing.
As one poster said a plank of wood some cones and a length of string will do it. It will and I have seen it done but it's a slow meticulous process that I would not have the patience for.
I have also had 4 wheel alignment that took 3 goes to get the steering wheel streight, and the works van regularly comes out of dock with the steering wheel at strange angles because they claim they reset the tracking.

It's all down to the operative and rather than the advertising bumph about the gear I go by recomendation about the ability of the operative..

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 10:29   #17
Tatsfield
Premier Member

It's definitely down to the the skill of the operative running the rig but the Hunter, if operated by someone that knows what he's doing, will produce the most accurate results using laser alignment and computerised setting. Plus the fact that if an outfit spend that sort of money on its equipment, they are going to be serious about the work they do, otherwise they could save themselves a lot and settle for less accuracy and use less skilled staff. I believe that tyhe purchase price of the Hunter rig includes a course for the operators.
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 19:20   #18
green van man
Premier Member

The problem is that once ascertaining that the camber of the rear wheel is out of tolerance how is it corrected?
Obviously it can be but not easily quickly or cheaply so is it realy worth knowing it's out unless you are prepared to spend the time and money to correct it ? Similarly the front, there is no easy way to adjust camber so basically you are stuck with what you have, unless the out of tolerance is down to worn bottom links/bushes/swivel what else is easily adjusted/ renewed.
I have altered the camber from positive to negative on the front of a car, it involved removing the kingpin carrier from the wishbone, shaving the bottom of the carrier and packing the top, equally both sides. Precise measurements and frequent checking to ascertain the castor correction.
Not quick and certainly not cheap were it not a labour of love on my car. It was worth it for me but was not within manufactures tolerance when done despite the improvement to handling. I have seen top mounts cut out of inner wings and rewelded in different position in order to correct castor angle inaccuracies.
Taken in the round there are few cars that altering castor or camber angles can easily be achieved on, you have what you are given and can only replace parts in the hope of getting back to manufacturers spec.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 13:51   #19
Steff79

I can recommend drury lane services just off the m60 at chadderton.

After several trips to a much cheaper place who couldn't get it right I went here and they sorted it straight away.

Noy cheap at about £90 but worth it.
Steff79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 22:27   #20
Kev0607
Premier Member

I ended up.going to Kwik Fit to get it aligned (Hunter).

It was about £85, but i can definitely feel the difference. I always felt the car was wandering & it turns out the rear toe angles were well off, as well as the thrust angle.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote