Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The awakening....

Views : 617

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2019, 14:50   #1
Triple-S
How Old?

Default The awakening....

My Volvo 240 estate project was fetched here by transporter last autumn, and bar a few niggles I got it to run fine after some cleaning under the bonnet. However, I haven't for several months..... but today I was steady enough to check the car out again.
I had run the car periodically after replacing the battery to keep it OK, so after checking all the fluids whizzed it over. It fired up very quickly and all seemed fine until I checked its systems:
1) central locking won't do the n/s front door
2) no n/s indicators (offside are fine)
3) no w/screen wipers, but I have washers and headlamp wipers
Knowing the fusebox is prone to corrosion I cleaned all the relevant fuses, but no difference. Then after having to call a halt to proceedings (have to go out) worse followed: the bonnet release cable won't move. Fortunately I hadn't pushed the bonnet shut, otherwise I couldn't have disconnected the battery again. Another slow job to fix....
So the moral of this story - if a car is temp out of use and outside in all weathers, be prepared to have lots more niggles to sort out before one can use it again! I only hope my classic 164 will be OK after hibernating in the garage since late last year. It ran a few weeks ago but that doesn't mean much it seems. Volvo bonnet-release cables seem prone to seizing if not lubricated, and electrical connections corroding slightly if not smeared with ACZP anti-corrosion paste.

This is a public information message for all you enthusiasts...... but not necessarily the full list relevant to your project!

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Triple-S For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 16:28   #2
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

Been there etc.!

Sometimes chasing rainbows can be easier!

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 17:46   #3
Dippydog
Premier Member

My V70 has not stood long enough in my ownership to suffer such problems thankfully.My Omega[yes I know it's a Vauxhall and many don't like the brand for some reason-but the "big"ones are damn good cars]stood for a year and a half-albeit in a lock up garage-and after putting a freshly charged battery on it fired up a bit lumpy until fresh fuel was added and suffered no electrical problems,the rear tyres were cracked unbelievably badly and were replaced as was the cat back exhaust and then flew through M.o.T.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 23:55   #4
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
My Omega[yes I know it's a Vauxhall and many don't like the brand for some reason-but the "big"ones are damn good cars
Nothing wrong with the 80s built Vauxhalls. German car with an american engine, can't be beaten! I loved my Cav MkII Sri.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 10:41   #5
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
Nothing wrong with the 80s built Vauxhalls. German car with an american engine, can't be beaten! I loved my Cav MkII Sri.
The Senator was a fine car, too, 'canis'; a fact not missed by a number of Police forces!

Regards, John.
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 11:36   #6
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
The Senator was a fine car, too, 'canis'; a fact not missed by a number of Police forces!

Regards, John.

Have to agree. The Senator ( particularly the 24V ) was one of the best Patrol cars that I ever had whilst on Traffic. Tough as old boots and bloody quick.

At the same time, I had a 2.5V6 Omega Estate as my own car and again, it was very very well put together.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 13:48   #7
Dippydog
Premier Member

Had 3 Senator A's and 2 Senator B's[although only the 12v engines]beautiful cars.present Omega is my second of these both of which have been 3L V6 Elites.Must be honest fine cars though the Omegas are I still prefer the Senator.Anyway back to the thread and I hope you get all the niggles sorted without too much hassle/cost.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 14:00   #8
canis
Non Fragile

Had a little Astra MkII as well for a while. That thing was indestructible! I actually drove it to the scrapyard!
canis is offline   Reply With Quote