Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2008 2.0D AWBA1 transmission fluid and filter: no dipstick?

Views : 890

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 2nd, 2020, 20:40   #1
tonaldduck

Default 2008 2.0D AWBA1 transmission fluid and filter: no dipstick?

Hi all,
I have a bunch of questions about changing the transmission fluid and filter. I read many of the threads, so I feel like I am quite prepared to do a drain and fill. However, I hope to get some particular details from diesel owners about our transmission. BTW I have a v50 '08 2.0D automatic with 240000km on the clock. The tranny seems to be Aisin, 7m5r AWBA1 is written on the sticker of the tranny, don't know which of that is the model.

I got myself 5 liters of the Mobil ATF 3309 (14 euro per liter, quite expensive here), and the replacement washer (could not find the o-ring, is it a big deal?). I removed the air filter assembly and hose, and got all the tubes and cables out of the way, but I don't see any dipstick . I have not been under the car yet to see if the drain plug is where it is shown in videos, but first I want to be sure I can refill it back!
Here are good photos of my transmission found on ebay, seems to be no dipstick that everyone is talking about.

Is the bolt circled in blue in the picture the one I should take out to fill new oil?

I know to refill the same amount that drained, but what if some seeped out in the last 12 years, Is there a way to know the correct amount without the dipstick?

The car is jerky for the last 40 000 km, especially the first jerk when starting moving at traffic lights - the whole car jumps with a lound bang of some metal parts smashing into each over under the hood. Recently the alternator gave up and I replaced it and the battery and it seems to have become less jerky.
I understand that touching the transmission fluid now may spell the end of it, but it seems to be on the way out anyway, so I'd give it a try.

Should I change the fluid filter as well? Is it located in the black botle on the side of transmission? Anyone knows the correct part number?

Many questions, thaks in advance for any insights.

Edit: pictures did not attach, here are links:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-VOLV...p2047675.l2557
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bIQ...ew?usp=sharing
tonaldduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2020, 13:43   #2
AndrasL

Hello,
the links do not work for me.
I am pretty sure you got the transmission type wrong. You should buy AutoDNA report, it includes what type of transmission your car came with.
If it is aisin tf-80sc, you have no dipstick. You have to set the level using the special overfill-drain plug. I do not want to write in detail about this because it is a bit more involved and you are better of watching videos on the subject.

BTW, if you do not know the transmission type, make sure to double-check the oil you bought before changing it.

EDIT: the filters in these transmissions can not be changed.
AndrasL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2020, 22:18   #3
tonaldduck

Thanks for the answer.
These links should work (I hope):
http://www.ebay.it/itm/2008-VOLVO-S4...p2047675.l2557
http://drive.google.com/file/d/1bIQv...xy7XxZfwD/view

The sticker on the transmission says: 7M5R 7000 HE, AWBA1 201108 071014. In the manual for my car it actually states the transmission fluid is JWS 3309, so I figure mobil 3309 is the same spec, some forums even say volvo original is produced by mobil.

It's not tf-80sc, as the filter bottle is black and on the side. I have found a ford video with exactly same filter bottle and the guy replaced the filter. May be its the same transmission.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4WtZUhf7kM&t=1334s
Ok so I am not crazy, there is no dipstick.
I'll jack up the car to see if it's the saem tranny as in the ford video, thenI guess I'll follow that. If not I'll buy the vin report (thanks for suggestion!) and do some more research!
tonaldduck is offline   Reply With Quote