Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Couple of issues with the v40, 1 mechanical, 1 electrical.

Views : 351

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 14th, 2019, 17:45   #1
drone

Default Couple of issues with the v40, 1 mechanical, 1 electrical.

The mechanical one I think I have sorted, the engine stumbles and sometimes stops when the aircon is on. I decided, in my infinite wisdom, that it felt as though the throttle was sticking around the idle position. Off to halfords and buy an aerosol of wynns carb cleaner and then remove the airpipe from the MAF to the throttle body, 2 jubilee clips and one pull off vacuum pipe.
The throttle is clearly visible as is the accumulation of carbon from (probably) 155k miles of motoring.
I held the throttle open with a long plastic tube and cleaned the worst off with tissues, then sprayed with the carb cleaner and mopped that up.
I then sprayed the outside of the throttle actuator with a silicon lubricant, for chrissake don't spray this inside the throttle body as silicon can adversely affect your cat.
I had to spray the insides of the throttle bearings with the carb cleaner several times until, when the tube was removed, it flicked back into the same closed position.
Engine doesn't stall now and maintains 750 rpm at idle, dropping to about 700 give or take when the compressor cuts in, that job's a good un.
The second job is the bulb failure indicator, I have replaced a duff osf bumper lamp and a failed xenon lamp and checked all my other bulbs but the bloody warning sometimes goes out but most of the time it's on. How do I sort this, it's driving me bonkers. The only code that comes up on my obd reader is 1250 which I can't seem to find.
As I intend to hand the car over to my daughter who is based in London it has to be "just so"..
Any advice gratefully received.

Last edited by drone; Sep 14th, 2019 at 18:07.
drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 17:56   #2
drone

BTW, the job took less time than driving the 2.5 miles to halfords, getting the carb cleaner and driving back home.
Car is a 1.8i GDI engine btw.
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 17:24   #3
P156KWJ

My 1.9D drops from its idle speed of 650 down to about 600 when the compressor starts

Annoyingly (for a pedant like me) the bulb failure light is the opposite for me, it doesn't work, only found this out when in a queue one night and noticed off the reflection of the car in front I had a headlight out. Dash bulb works when turning the ignition on though...
P156KWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to P156KWJ For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 21:10   #4
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

In my 1.9D V40 the bulb warning only applies to the left and right brake lights.
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 22:33   #5
drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecabbage View Post
In my 1.9D V40 the bulb warning only applies to the left and right brake lights.
Annoyingly, the handbook for the car calls the warning light "brake light bulb failure warning" but my bloody brake lights are working!
As I said it's really frustrating to see it there one minute and off the next.
I'll change the brake light bulbs and see if that sorts it.
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 00:11   #6
gatos
Premier Member

The bulb warning light will only ever light up when there is a problem with the brake lights. Not any of the other lights. So check if the brake lights are all fine.

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 18:44   #7
drone

It's sorted. Such an elementary fault I would feel embarrassed if I'd done it; sadly it's down to h*****ds where my son took it for mot, they replaced one brake light bulb with a 21/5 watt dual element bulb when we all know the volvo has single filament bulbs.
I wouldn't have found it except they left the packaging in the rear light compartment and I though eh? that's not right.
But now it's fixed.

Last edited by drone; Sep 16th, 2019 at 18:46.
drone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drone For This Useful Post: