Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

cambelt replacement cost?

Views : 1693

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 26th, 2003, 18:18   #1
1988 360GLT

Hi,

I'd like to replace the cam belt on my car soon, how much should I expect an independent to charge and is it necessary to replace waqter pump/ tensioners at the same time?

Thanks for your help
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 00:49   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: cambelt replacement cost?

A lot of people will change water pump and tensioners in order to avoid having to do it at an unscheduled mileage. It is though to be prudent so that you save another big bill soon after this one. I think this applies to most of the Volvo engines as opposed to the Renault engines in lesser 300s. Renaults have timing chains anyway.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 20:52   #3
Jon Marsh

We paid £225 inc vat and labour for an MOT, three new fan belts ( as it has power steering), timing belt, tensioner and water pump on a 360 GLE (1988) this year.
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 23:01   #4
pettaw
Forum Support Team

>
>A lot of people will change water pump and tensioners in
>order to avoid having to do it at an unscheduled mileage. It
>is though to be prudent so that you save another big bill soon
>after this one. I think this applies to most of the Volvo
>engines as opposed to the Renault engines in lesser 300s.
>Renaults have timing chains anyway.
>
>All the best, Peter

Not so, but you're a 700/900 expert so I'll forgive you Peter :)

The B14 has a timing chain, but the Renault unit in the B172 has a timing BELT and must be renewed at the scheduled interval, once every 4 years.

There's no service requirement to change the tensioner as well, but it is prudent to change it to avoid any mishaps later, although it is a metal one, so it will let you know in no uncertain terms, rather than the plastic ones in some other makes of car which crack up silently and then bang goes the engine.

The water pump is driven by the auxiliary drivebelts in all cases, including the Volvo unit in the 360's, so change it if you want, but if the spindle seems in good nick and its not leaking I would leave it.

It would be helpful to know the engine in your car so we could give you some more advice.

Andy

Oopsie, just noticed the date of the first question. He's probably changed it already, so probably not much good getting him to post back.
pettaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 02:10   #5
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

That's more likely to be because I have two Renault engines A BB110 and a BB130 both with timing chains of course. Still they are old, although the PRV units all had chains which come into my area of knowledge. Anyway, thanks for the information which I shall duly note.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote