Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alarms & Mobiles!

Views : 977

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 8th, 2011, 19:07   #1
Ingulphus

Default Alarms & Mobiles!

So today the alarm in my V50 kept going off. It would go off, I'd turn it off and then one minute, two minutes later off it would go again. I could see no good reason for this. I chalked it up to the wind, but even when the wind completely dropped (it was never excessive), it still happened. Anyway, I looked inside the car on the off-chance there was a cat or something in there and spotted my mobile on the back seat. Could it be that? Surely not! But, as soon as I removed it, the problem stopped - and the wind didn't! So, given that phones are constantly transmitting, is it possible that somehow the frequency interferred with the alarm system?

Last edited by Ingulphus; Aug 8th, 2011 at 19:10.
Ingulphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 21:50   #2
tayandre

You could have something there. My alarm has gone off a handful of times for no apparant reason over the last 12 months. Just put it down to a glitch. Every time my mobile was in the car now I come to think of it. As far as I know it's only a 3G phone that I can link to it.
tayandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 07:07   #3
biggs312800

im a chef and mine goes off with the microwave at work so i have to unlock my car whilst i use it, i have had the mass movement sensor replace 2 or 3 times and when i asked if the can do anything to recalibrate it they said no so looks like ive gotta live with it
biggs312800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2011, 23:57   #4
imjohnson

That explains it!

I wondered why my car's alarm only goes off when I leave it for ten minutes while I pop into a shop but never when parked up for the night.

I often leave my phone in it if I am only leaving it for a few minutes. Doh!
imjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2011, 09:25   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

The sensor is not ultrasonic ( sensitive to air movment ) but Radio frequency microwave, the car is filled with radio waves.. any disturbance in this pattern will set off the alarm , they use this so wind pressure from passing lorries doesnt set off the alarm . So it looks as if there is something in the mobile phone theory ..
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 17:29   #6
Ingulphus

Thanks, Clan, that clears that up then - the mobile it is!
Ingulphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 19:36   #7
feltorange

I do a fair bit of cycling and use a pub carpark as a short cut. I noted that when I cycled through this car[ark, some car alarms were set off. presumably the signal from the wheel sensor. Great fun!
feltorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 23:13   #8
Bendolfc
Premier Member

I keep on meaning to test my sensor, when someone dumped a big ceramic plant pot through my rear screen, the alarm didn't go of.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote