Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

tow bar options pls

Views : 5076

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 11th, 2019, 15:43   #21
James77

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelnut View Post
I have just done about 1,000 miles to Scotland and back towing my 1,500 caravan and got an average of 25 mpg from my V90 D4 R Design.
Crikey! Could by 15 - 18 in the T5 then. Something to ponder!
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 16:03   #22
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelnut View Post
I have just done about 1,000 miles to Scotland and back towing my 1,500 caravan and got an average of 25 mpg from my V90 D4 R Design.
I achieved my 25 mpg when towing up the A1 to Berwick Upon Tweed, around the Dales and North Yorkshire where its more up and down its usually around 22 - 23 mpg.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 16:05   #23
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James77 View Post
I thought Alko Hitches were red (or had red on the handle)? Maybe it's just the angle of the picture.
It is black and red. It is an Alko Chassis and hitch, I don't know of a UK caravan that does not use Alko chassis and hitch.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 16:09   #24
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
I thought you'd achieve a little more than that, I'd read you lose about 20% consumption pulling a caravan? Never towed so I could well be wrong.
If only that were true. Larger engines mpg % would/may not drop as much as they would not have to work as hard.
It obviously also depends on the weight you are towing, my caravan is 1500kg, plus everything including the kitchen sink.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Sep 11th, 2019 at 16:13.
Old Sep 12th, 2019, 20:45   #25
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
If only that were true. Larger engines mpg % would/may not drop as much as they would not have to work as hard.
It obviously also depends on the weight you are towing, my caravan is 1500kg, plus everything including the kitchen sink.
If you use the power it will drink the fuel. Specific fuel consumption doesn't vary much with the engine's swept volume. It doesn't matter much whether the engine is big or small to produce a certain level of power utilised, it will use the same fuel if of the same family of engines. If the bigger engine is substantially more powerful but driven behind a four cylinder, therefore driven no harder, both should use about the same fuel with a theoretical advantage to the smaller volume engine due to lesser friction and pumping losses and a lower mass.

It should be remembered that due to a combination of engine and transmission efficiency improvements, todays vehicles are far more efficient than older ones. For instance I had a factory diesel 2.4 litre four cylinder manual Range Rover, many years ago, that output a heady [for the day] 112hp at 4400rpm but absolutely nothing under 2200. There's one steep hill locally that required me to rev to the governor in first in order to keep the engine above 2200 so that second gear could be sustained without having to immediately change back to first. It was a terribly noisy engine and when towing my caravan up moderate but long hills, a close watch was needed on the temperature gauge. It served me reliably for nearly 100,000 miles.
Fuel consumption never bettered 26mpg though. Even though it was a good bit smaller and lighter than the Volvo and had a manual gearbox and considering that the Volvo has nearly twice the horses and three times the torque and can run rings around it in performance terms. I get 38mpg on average from the Volvo.

Towing is a great leveller. I suspect that if a 2000kg caravan was towed at normal A-road speeds in traffic, there would be little difference in consumption between D4, D5, V60, V90 or XC90. They would all actually use the same amount of power and therefore near enough the same fuel for that job. Some would have more power in reserve but power not used is power not produced and not fuelled for.
Old Sep 12th, 2019, 20:57   #26
Quacker
Premier Member

The type of work an engine does has a big impact on miles per gallon. Nothing better illustrates this than my 2.2 litre Ford Ranger 6 speed automatic. This is a fairly thirsty engine by today's standards.

On long solo unladen journeys, which it seldom does, it is easily capable of 30mpg. However, my combination of short hard journeys and towing means that it averages between 17gallon tankfuls, how much do you think? 25? 20? No, it varies between 17 and 19mpg.

In isolation that sounds terrible, but it does have 150hp and 350Nm torque and an automatic. It also slightly betters the consumption I got for 22 years from a manual Land Rover 110 pickup with a 2.5 non-turbo engine developing all of 67hp doing the same work but m..u..c..h s..l..o..w..e..r. which would only do 25 at best solo unladen long distance.
Old Sep 12th, 2019, 21:27   #27
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
The type of work an engine does has a big impact on miles per gallon. Nothing better illustrates this than my 2.2 litre Ford Ranger 6 speed automatic. This is a fairly thirsty engine by today's standards.

On long solo unladen journeys, which it seldom does, it is easily capable of 30mpg. However, my combination of short hard journeys and towing means that it averages between 17gallon tankfuls, how much do you think? 25? 20? No, it varies between 17 and 19mpg.
Similar consumption to my Merc CL500 that weighed 2 tonnes (same as an XC90) but had a 5 litre V8 petrol engine.

On a long motorway cruise I'd typically get 30-32 mpg but around town it was 16-18 mpg. Is this much worse than a T6 in real-world use?
Old Sep 12th, 2019, 22:58   #28
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Just for interest, this is my current average mpg if the voc app is reading correctly. I reset it with every fill up,
Screenshot_20190912-215134_Volvo On Call.jpg
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 16:55   #29
ukden

Quote:
I thought you'd achieve a little more than that, I'd read you lose about 20% consumption pulling a caravan? Never towed so I could well be wrong.
Towing my 1550 Kg caravan consumption varies between 26 mpg (shortish journeys with lots of stopping and starting) and 32 mpg (long motorway journeys at 55-60 mph).

Last year I towed caravan from Northumberland to Bavaria and back. 32 mpg on each tankfull which involved 100% towing. Checked brimful to brimful.

The last petrol car I towed with was a 1.8 Fiat Tipo, I used to get 18 mpg towing a 900 Kg caravan.

Previously: MY2018 XC60 Momentum D4 Auto, Winter Pack, Volvo On Call, Rear camera, Electric deployable towbar, Tempa spare wheel.
ukden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 09:12   #30
James77

On the Swedish car accessories website, which I believe is a website run by a dealer (don't know which one) there are two tow bar options available. Firstly the neatest solution the foldable which I'm sure is a superb unit. Although I've seen it deployed on YouTube and it's not as impressive as I thought it sort of drops down then man handled into position. I'd assumed it did the lot itself for the price.

Secondly there is a fixed tow bar for £650 fitted not as neat of course (if you care about that). Presume it's tested to work with rear sensors too.

https://www.swedishcaraccessories.co...bar-3667-p.asp