Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

volvo 240glt nearly overheating

Views : 464

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 27th, 2019, 15:07   #1
ovlov236

Default volvo 240glt nearly overheating

Hello all So My 89 Glt Is Having Nearly Overheating Problems Has Done For A Few Weeks It Started By A Flutuating temp Gauge Mid To Slightly over half then its got worse over the past few months there is no water in the oil no leaks from the water pump ive just changed the thermostat its made the tempreture gauge more steady as in it does not wander around as much it does not go into the red my radiator fins look a bit worse for wear at the top only about 8 fins does not leak the bottom hose is warm into the water pump and top hose get warm i wonder does anybody think the radiator might need to be changed? has the car a temp sender on the block ? its a b230e k jetronic engine any thoughts kindly appreciated thanks louise
ovlov236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2019, 01:20   #2
Nicholas Lewin
newish member

Louise - warm? Hot surely? and soft at that...

If only warm then my guess is dicky thermostat

I have a B230F with an aftermarket electric fan and 92 degree thermostat. The gauge lifts higher than one might like before the fan kicks in. Sometime I will change for an 88 degree thermostat and maybe adjust slightly the temp when the fan kicks in

Prior to that a Volvo 240 with a standard fan/stat has a rock steady temperature gauge once up to running temp. Doesn't it?
Nicholas Lewin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nicholas Lewin For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 20:25   #3
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Lewin View Post

Prior to that a Volvo 240 with a standard fan/stat has a rock steady temperature gauge once up to running temp. Doesn't it?
Not entirely, in my experience.
Mine never really rises above the half-way mark, but a long fast run down hill can certainly lower the temperature, to about 3/8. Not surprisingly, I think - the radiator is being cooled, the water pump is turning fast, but the engine is burning no fuel.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 21:08   #4
volvo always
Premier Member

I would fit a new nissens radiator. Around £65-100.

Most likely well knackered by now if original.

It fitted perfectly on my 1989 240 GLT.

My GLT only tried to overheat once and that was reversing up a steep hill in hot weather at Ballybunion Beach up to the main road. As soon as airflow was getting to the rad, no issues.
Shortly after had new rad as auto gearbox cooler pipe holed so garage couldn't get pipes off old rad, so fitted new.

James.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 09:52   #5
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I would avoid spending money or changing anything for now. The spending might not be necessary, the changing of component(s) could disguise what the actual problem is. If there is a problem.

You say nearly overheating. Has there been any coolant loss?

"When" does the gauge reading rise or fluctuate? Sorry if you have said already. But for example does it occur when the fan might or should be in operation?

You asked about a sensor/sender unit for the temp gauge. Yes there must be one. I forget where it is. Advice from the experts please

If there is no overheating then this could be the temperature sensor, the gauge or a connection perhaps an earth connection.

I'm puzzled about the thermostat. That controls the temperature at which coolant begins to flow between radiator and engine, so the engine is not cooled before it has warmed up.

Good luck.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 20:23   #6
ovlov236

Default volvo 240 overheating

so thanks guys and girls my problem was the expansion tank cap was allowing i suppose air into the system replaced with a new one the temp is now at 9am all the time now when warmed up very pleased i could fix it myself thanks for all the comments ----Louise
The Following User Says Thank You to ovlov236 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 21:00   #7
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

That is very good news. GOOD !!!!

Often things have simple causes that just have to be found.

Your exerience here reminds me of an Austin 1100 given to me by a friend, generous but he had refused to even lift the bonnet himself. So neglected. I kept it going for 18 months with little trouble. On receiving it I changed all the usual suspects. Mainly ignition. Thermostat. Hoses. &c. On the M4 it overheated. It had a blanking cap instead of a pressure cap. EEK!

The journey was continued to Wales and home again. Uneventful except for the wiper arm failure.

Did I digress again?

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Aug 31st, 2019 at 21:03.
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 12:03   #8
ovlov236

Default volvo 240 overheating

Hello Stephen
Nice To Here About Your Experience with the austin well i only noticed on the expansion tank cap it was leaking when i happened to flip the bonnet up then i did see moisture near the cap i glad i didnt panic and buy a radiator or water pump i suppose i need one of those pressure testers it would make life so much easier ebay here i come thanks to all ......Louise
The Following User Says Thank You to ovlov236 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 13:04   #9
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Hello Louise,

I saw a Sykes Pickavant pressure tester at a boot sale years ago and I kick myself for not buying it. But. I have not needed it, yet.

You are sorting things by using your observational powers. Kushti.

Old Sep 1st, 2019, 15:02   #10
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Drain and flush the system would be my bet. Then go from there
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul240480 For This Useful Post: