Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 D5 - short journeys / lack of use

Views : 2484

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 6th, 2020, 14:38   #1
daern

Default XC60 D5 - short journeys / lack of use

Hi all,

So perhaps not an uncommon question in these times, but with the current lockdown, my 2014 XC60 D5 AWD is doing very few (if any) long journeys and, were I to completely obey the lockdown restrictions, may not do any for some months to come.

What considerations do I need to have for this particular vehicle and what problems am I likely to have? I've had issues in the past (particularly with Renaults) with DPF regeneration cycles, but haven't given any thought to it with this car until now. My wife's car (2015 Megane diesel) will certainly have issues if not used for decent journeys, so it has been furloughed for now (sadly, without 80% salary payment!) so the Volvo will have to be used, albeit infrequently.

Thoughts / opinions / recommendations welcomed.
daern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2020, 15:38   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I would be surprised if you had a problem, it's rare to hear of DPF issues on these cars - it's a well designed implementation that works really well in the absence of other issues.

All I would say is if you get onto national speed limit roads - boot it as you join - it's about keeping all the vacuum and boost control systems free and working as well.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2020, 11:22   #3
dhr90

My daily commute used to be about 7 miles each way, consisting of about 2 miles in town with plenty of stop start and the rest 50mph B roads. I was averaging a long journey maybe every 6-8 weeks which seemed to keep the DPF and EGR happy enough. Only problem as such was a drop in the average 50-55mpg down to 43-47mpg depending on type of journeys I had been doing. No warning lights. I would try to floor the throttle every now and then to help keep things clean and free.
Old Apr 7th, 2020, 16:26   #4
piotrek

I would be more concerned with 12V battery when car is parked. Battery state of charge drops approx. 1% every day.

The state of charge (SOC) can be displayed on a smartphone in Car Scanner ElmObd2 app, battery is charged to 82-85% SOC when car is used frequently. You can also read the DPF soot level, if needed.
Check the quiescent current (standby battery drain) - should not exceed 25mA. All electronic gadgets should be disconnected (dash cam, bluetooth/wifi dongle).
Attached Images
File Type: png batteryvoltage-Carscanner.png (103.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: png batteryvoltage-Carscanner2.png (73.8 KB, 35 views)
piotrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 10:23   #5
TrollSniper

Mine is getting a 20 mile run out once a week shopping. Put the charger on it yesterday and it only accepted charge for 20 minutes, quite surprised at that.
TrollSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 11:10   #6
Rocinante
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrek View Post
I would be more concerned with 12V battery when car is parked. Battery state of charge drops approx. 1% every day.

The state of charge (SOC) can be displayed on a smartphone in Car Scanner ElmObd2 app, battery is charged to 82-85% SOC when car is used frequently. You can also read the DPF soot level, if needed.
Check the quiescent current (standby battery drain) - should not exceed 25mA. All electronic gadgets should be disconnected (dash cam, bluetooth/wifi dongle).
Piotrek, I note that you said that the car should be charging to 82 to 85%, but any idea at what state of charge it is going to start having trouble actually starting the car ?
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 13:03   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrek View Post

Volvo have recommended that the battery is charged every 2 weeks on cars laid up , also put 50 psi in the tyres to prevent local distortion .( just as they do for new cars )
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 13:37   #8
piotrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondcoia View Post
Piotrek, I note that you said that the car should be charging to 82 to 85%, but any idea at what state of charge it is going to start having trouble actually starting the car ?
I could start my diesel engine with battery at 30% SOC. I have no idea what could be the lowest SOC for battery to still crank the engine. I would probably not let it drop under 20-25% SOC. Besides, petrol engines are much easier to start than diesels.

Unfortunately, modern AGM 12V batteries should not be left fully discharched even for a day or two, as they might suffer irreparable damage.
piotrek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to piotrek For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2020, 12:51   #9
Gangrel1971

Default XC60 D5 battery

Went to start my xc60 d5 this morning and it wouldn’t turn over. When charging the battery is it as simple as connecting the charger to the body of the car and the batteries positive terminal. Thanks for any advice given.
Gangrel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2020, 14:40   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangrel1971 View Post
Went to start my xc60 d5 this morning and it wouldn’t turn over. When charging the battery is it as simple as connecting the charger to the body of the car and the batteries positive terminal. Thanks for any advice given.
yes but to fully charge it will need as much over 24 hours as you can leave it .. The fact it is flat means it is likely to never be the same .. volvlo have recommended you charge it every two weeks during this shut down .