Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Interesting head info

Views : 2970

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 25th, 2020, 11:33   #21
HWKWallis

Believe that's correct for the machining and he builds iup from the spec he provides.

I'd like to know what kind of estimated increase is available through a street drivable range from head work even if that is tune and other component dependant. I. E. A to K cam +12%

Rob built my engine and bar the CR left the head - I was auncertiain I would gain much for my purposes bang for buck and potentially risk comprising usability. Money better spent on reliable gearbox and carbs.

Jim
HWKWallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2020, 12:06   #22
Bracpan

Yes i just might concentrate on carbs, cool air feed, exhaust, possible K cam and just rise the C/R a bit fit harder seats on the exhaust and take it from there... all i want is a smooth torquey motor I don't need a race engine... the amazon is a cruiser, i have a competition car that will give me the thrills
Really appreciated the advice on the heads
Bracpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2020, 12:48   #23
HWKWallis

Sounds exactly like where I stopped except I've added a lambda plug to assist tuning to a bigger exhaust on the volvo 2 branch combined manifold.
Same flywheel as am heading for the Alps eventually.

In fairness to Rob he did say moneyiwse to fit a big valve B20 rather than wring the neck of the B18 which I wanted to rebuild.
Given human nature I bet he gets a lot of requests for all the HP he can find.
HWKWallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2020, 13:33   #24
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracpan View Post
Yes i just might concentrate on carbs, cool air feed, exhaust, possible K cam and just rise the C/R a bit fit harder seats on the exhaust and take it from there... all i want is a smooth torquey motor I don't need a race engine... the amazon is a cruiser, i have a competition car that will give me the thrills
Really appreciated the advice on the heads
Lighten flywheel and electric fan are two things I will most likely do.
Old May 25th, 2020, 13:58   #25
Derek UK
VOC Member

Consider some budget for balancing all or some parts. Just having the flywheel and clutch done together is useful especially with a B20 as it's reckoned to be a bit less smooth than the B18. A lightened flywheel takes a lot of the smoothness away from low speed driving but a good skim of the working face is sensible even if you aren't going to balance it. Volvo internals were at the time considered pretty well balanced but modern engines are better. Things can be improved but time = money.
Thoughtful reading.
http://vclassics.com/archive/badmotor.htm
http://vclassics.com/mppe1.html

Mitch's comment re flywheel not seen when I posted this. I'll stick to my comment. Agree about the fan.

Last edited by Derek UK; May 25th, 2020 at 14:05.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2020, 14:36   #26
arcturus
arcturus

Just as a matter interest how does one work out how much to remove from a head to up CR? For example,if a head was skimmed to flatten it what effect would that have. How much would it need to be skimmed by to make a noticeable difference?
Old May 25th, 2020, 15:05   #27
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Consider some budget for balancing all or some parts. Just having the flywheel and clutch done together is useful especially with a B20 as it's reckoned to be a bit less smooth than the B18. A lightened flywheel takes a lot of the smoothness away from low speed driving but a good skim of the working face is sensible even if you aren't going to balance it. Volvo internals were at the time considered pretty well balanced but modern engines are better. Things can be improved but time = money.
Thoughtful reading.
http://vclassics.com/archive/badmotor.htm
http://vclassics.com/mppe1.html

Mitch's comment re flywheel not seen when I posted this. I'll stick to my comment. Agree about the fan.
Think I had 7lbs removed off my Amazon Derek and no problem at low speed. Think they are overly heavy to start with. Think mine was still 17lbs after machining.

Good suggestion on the clutch and flywheel balances together.

Amazon cars also do a vid of lightening the steel timing gear, I won’t be but if you were building a engine that might be an idea as well.

Last edited by Burdekin; May 25th, 2020 at 15:23.
Burdekin is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2020, 13:17   #28
blueosprey90
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
Just as a matter interest how does one work out how much to remove from a head to up CR? For example,if a head was skimmed to flatten it what effect would that have. How much would it need to be skimmed by to make a noticeable difference?
To do a proper, but rough calculation, you need to do some measuring. I looked at the specifications of the B16B engine and there is not enough information given to determine. In particular, you need to measure your combustion chamber volume, the piston dish (or dome) volume, the piston to deck clearance and the head gasket clearance. Once you have the numbers from either the given specs and the measurements, you can plug the information into a compression ratio calculator. Then you can see how changes in the combustion chamber from changing the head affect the compression ratio.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/compcalc.html

Other major players in the compression ratio game are changes in piston dish (or dome) volume and piston to deck clearance. If you get real tricky and start using high lift camshafts, you may need to cut eyebrows for valve clearance in your block and that volume will also need to be calculated and plugged in.

I can't speak to the Volvo engines. My MGA engine has a somewhat smaller bore and a somewhat longer stroke than a B16B engine. The combustion chamber spec is 38 cc, but mine always seem to measure about 42 cc, probably due to valve recession and a slight modification (easing) of a point that creates a known hot spot. With those engines, each 0.010 milled off the head reduces the combustion chamber by about 1 cc and increases the compression ratio by about a tenth of a point. That should at least give a rough idea.

The stock B16B engine compression ratio is given at 8.2 to 1.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blueosprey90 For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2020, 00:06   #29
Bracpan

I have these if it helps for the B18 motor. its the measurements for the overall height of the head,,, but as its been said do the standard pistons have different size dishes in the pistons ? I have a spare head ready to be worked on and its 88mm I was thinking of taking 1mm off it to take the CR to 9.5 ;1..as my engine is the low CR version. but i need more info first.

B18A (1) 1962-1964, head height 88.0 mm, compr. 8,5 : 1
B18A (2) 1965-1968, head height 88.0 mm, compr. 8,7 : 1

B18B (1) 1961-1963, head height 87.0 mm, compr. 9,5 : 1
B18B (2) 1964-1966, head height 86.2 mm, compr. 10,0 : 1
B18B (3) 1967-1968, head height 86.2 mm, compr. 10,0 : 1

B18D (1) 1961-1963, head height 88.0 mm, compr. 8,5 : 1
B18D (2) 1964-1966, head height 88.0 mm, compr. 8,7 : 1
B18D (3) 1967-19.., head height 88.0 mm, compr. 8,7 : 1
Bracpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2020, 04:10   #30
blueosprey90
Master Member

I know a guy named Hap Waldrop who has an engine building shop called Acme Speed Shop. He is a good old boy from Greenville, South Carolina who probably used to run moonshine and needed a fast engine to outrun the revenuers. He likes to talk and you might accuse him of being a bit long winded. But I'll share some of his wisdom.

"I don't like using head thickness as a way to figure compression ratio, too many variables to foul the job up, valve height for one. As mentioned above CC volume measuring the combustion chambers is the more accurate way to do this, and while it may seem beyond the novice engine builder's skill set, it really isn't, and can be a fun project.

Things you need to have to know what your current CR is and how to plan for your target CR, while keeping in mind this is being done by a novice and with a budget in mind.

A feeding tube syringe, you can get one at your local drug store for a couple of dollars, get the biggest one you can, remember CC and ML is the same thing in this regard.

A piece of plexiglass bigger than the combustion chamber with a few holes drilled in it 1/4" will work fine, and having a chamfered counter bore around the drilled holes aids in helping get the fluid in the chamber. You can use grease to seal the plexiglass to the head deck for CC volume checking. The holes are for filling the chamber, you'll notice even when you level the head on the workbench you may have to chase a few air bubbles to get the chamber filled with fluid, this is where a few well placed drilled holes will aid you.

OK now you need something to measure depth, ideally a depth micrometer would be the tool of choice, and if you don't mind buying one, then you can find them online reasonably. OK lets assume you don't want to buy a depth mic, you can do this job with a dial caliper, just check your finding many times and look for repeatable numbers. Also the dial caliper will come in handy for other aspects of this job, measuring the bore size of the head gasket for example. You need to measure depth in two ways in this job, your piston to block deck height with the piston at TDC, remember to only measure this at the piston pin axis which is at 12 and 6 o'clock when facing the front of the engine, the piston at any other point can be rocked one way, or the other and that would give you inaccurate measurements. The second place you will use a depth measurement would be in the chamber when figuring how much to take off your head, I'll explain that in a minute.

OK, lets say the head is off the engine, and on the workbench, the combustion chambers have been fairly well cleaned, and ridded of carbon deposits that would askew your findings. The block deck has old head gasket debris scrapped off and is clean enough to take a deck height measurement. OK record your piston to block deck height, record that data, measure the bore on your head gasket, most head gaskets I find to be a good .080" or so over standard bore size, but still measure, never assume.

OK now with the head level on a bench, and yes use a level you want the head as level as you can get it. With the valves and springs installed, as well as a spark plugs installed you now can check your current chamber volume. Get your plexiglass plate, smear some grease around the combustion chamber for sealing the plate, make sure not to get any grease inside the combustion chamber as this would take up volume and askew your findings. OK now put the plexiglass plate over the chamber and fill with liquid from your ML feeding syringe, make sure you start off at the highest volume the syringe allows, fill the chamber and see how much liquid you used to fill the chamber. Now say the head has a big chamber volume, and say the biggest feeding tube syringe you can find is 50 ML, don't worry, you can do this with more than one filling of the syringe, just keep close look on how much your total ends up being as for how much liquid you put into the chamber, repeat the process to make sure your findings are accurate. For example say you are using a 50 ML syringe and you fully fill the syringe to 50 ML mark and use all of it in the chamber and still need more liquid, simply fill it again to given mark, than add the extra fluid until the chamber is filled, then add up to the two amounts, and you have your volume.

OK, now lets say you have all your data to know what your current CR is.

Bore size
Engine stroke
Piston to block deck height
Piston dish volume, if using a dished piston then you would fluid fill it as well and see what the CC volume of the dish is, in the case of a flat top piston most CR calculators will just have you enter a 0 zero amount here.
Head gasket bore size
Head gasket compressed thickness
Combustion chamber volume

OK, these days with the internet, this job is much easier, you can simply enter your data on a online CR calculator, and hit the convert/calculate button, this sure beats the long math I did many years ago to figure this out.

Here a CR calculator I used many times.

https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/compstaticcalc.html

OK enter your data and see where your CR currently is, with these old engines is almost always a given you are not the first one there, so seeing where you really are is big time important. I tell folks, assumption is the mother of all mistakes.

OK, now you know where you are and it is now time to figure out what you need to do to get to your CR target. On some engines it may aid you, if doing a complete rebuild to incorporate block resurfacing into this equation. … this would lessen the amount you would have to remove from the head to get to your CR target. ….

OK so at this point say the way we are raising the CR is only going to be head resurfacing, so with the CR calculator just insert lesser CC volume amounts into the calculator until your reach your target CR. Now back at the work bench with the head still leveled and all of the previous liquid removed from the prior test, put the amount of liquid/volume into the chamber that the calculator showed you would reach your target CR. Now with this test there is no need to use the plexiglass plate, because the level will now be below the top edge of the chamber. OK now here's where the second depth measurement will be taken, you need to see how far down into the chamber you measure before you hit the liquid. Now I cannot always see when the end of the mic, or dial caliper when it hits the surface of the liquid, and you for sure want to sneak up on it, so I simply move the depth probe gradually deeper, checking it by rubbing it across my arm to see if I feel the wetness of the liquid. Once you feel wetness, double check your measurements a few times, even backing off your measurement to make sure you have for sure gotten the exact measurement of the where the probe touches off on the liquid. OK now record this figure, this is how much you will need to take off your head to reach your target CR.

A word on what liquid to use, any thin liquid will work, I use the green rubbing alcohol, it's cheap, and easy to find.

Hopefully this reads in a way one understands this, is really a simple, and fun project that takes out the guesswork, and way more accurate than using head casting thicknesses. I tried my best to describe how you can do this with simple and cheap tools, yes I have a big nice 100ML glass burret and stand, head stand pedestals, depth mics, because I do this sort of work often, but you can still do this, and get accurate data without making the investment in tools a professional would, and accomplish your goal.

Yes this is harder than simply asking on the forum "how much should I cut off my head" , but remember what I said about assumption, it is better to be accurate, and not create a unworkable fix. This is like the old carpenter's saying, "measure twice, cut once"

Here's a a video, showing how to take your cylinder head combustion chamber volume. This guy has all the stuff a pro would use, head stands, a 100ML vertical glass burret on a stand, but you can use stack of books, a couple 2x4 pieces for the stand, etc., you're just trying to level the cylinder head on your work bench. Then in place of the glass burret you can use the 50-60ml feeding tube syringe you can buy for a couple of bucks at the local drug store.

https://youtu.be/V7V40ZWNgCo

Last edited by blueosprey90; May 28th, 2020 at 04:14.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blueosprey90 For This Useful Post: