Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2008 front end - Facelift or Pre-facelift ??

Views : 975

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2022, 20:01   #1
LucyLastic

Default 2008 front end - Facelift or Pre-facelift ??

I hope you guys can help......

I need a headlight unit & front bumper but am struggling to find the right parts because its right at the changeover.

My car is A V50 2.0 d Lux SE (black) - 2008/08 - but has the Euro 4 (no DPF) engine.
This leads me to believe its Pre-Facelift, but I'm not sure & looking at parts online I really can't see obvious differences between the 2 models, as regards bumpers & light units.

Listings confuse this as various sellers are listing parts as pre/post 2006, pre/post 2007, pre/post 2008 & pre/post 2009.

So Is there an easy/obvious difference I haven't noticed??

and can I use S40 or C30 parts from the correct model year too??

many thanks in advance....
LucyLastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 10:52   #2
domhart10
Volvo S40

yes there is quite a difference if you look closely between the V50 / S40 PLF and FL. C30 parts will not fit your V50 without further work.

The headlight units are quite different when you look closely between the PFL and FL units. Exactly the same for the front bumpers, but the FL S40 and FL V50 front bumpers are different, but these still fit.

I have a 2009 S40 FL but I now have a V50 FL bumper on it.

If yours is a 2008 I would be pretty sure that its a FL as I think they are 2008+

If thats the case you would be after these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304358340...3ABFBM9oHCvuNf

These headlamps are PFL:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294822523...gAAOSw6eJiESSC

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to domhart10 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 10:05   #3
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyLastic View Post

I need a headlight unit & front bumper but am struggling to find the right parts because its right at the changeover.

My car is A V50 2.0 d Lux SE (black) - 2008/08 - but has the Euro 4 (no DPF) engine.
This leads me to believe its Pre-Facelift, but I'm not sure & looking at parts online I really can't see obvious differences between the 2 models, as regards bumpers & light units.

Listings confuse this as various sellers are listing parts as pre/post 2006, pre/post 2007, pre/post 2008 & pre/post 2009.

as Dom said below its probably FL model but to be certain take a photo of your headlamp (the non broken one, I assume) and we can tell you right away if its FL or pre-FL.
FL lights have separate cluster vertical parking lights where pre-FL lights have parking lights as a bulb in high-beam reflector.
from there u will know what bumper to get and only look at S40/V50 models.
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 13:05   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

If the handbrake leve comes up out of the dash and exposes the metal work (rather than having a gaiter around it) then you have a facelift model.

Also if your reverse lights are a round clean lens in the middle of the cluster - that is pre-facelift.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 15:43   #5
Turbodave
VOC Member

I think I'm correct in saying, if you match the lights and bumper... it'll fit. Ie, pre-facelift lights need a pre-facelift bumper, facelift lights need a facelift bumper. Mixing these parts doesn't work. On an 08, I'd take a stab at it being a facelift but as has been said, the differences are subtle but they are there so figuring out what you haven't shouldn't be an issue - however incorrectly listed used parts could be.
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbodave For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 13th, 2022, 14:02   #6
LucyLastic

Thanks for the replies everyone.....at least I can now suss out which parts I need......using a combination of all the responses.
2008 apparently is crossover to facelift......even the mot tester got it wrong & tested the car as euro5 (after I made a point of telling them it was euro4).

Next question: these parts were damaged by a local garage that droppped the car off their recovery truck, allowing ing to crash through an industrial steel fence......they bodge-filled & hand painted the bumper & promised to replace the headlight unit, but several months late they claim not to be able to find one......
......so, once i've replaced the parts, should I make the mechanic wear the old parts, or rise above it and just move on ??
LucyLastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2022, 20:42   #7
Teddy1975

I think 2007 is the cross-over year between pre and facelift. My V50 2.0D SE is from July 2007 and is a face lifted 2008 model.

The garage ought to have an insurance, so no, I don't think you should rise above anything and move on.

If you can locate the parts your car needs to get back to what it was before they ruined it, you should go to the garage and tell them where they can buy them.
Teddy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2022, 22:03   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyLastic View Post

you should be using the VIN to get the right parts , so many variations with Volvo model year , year , chassis No, type ( C30,V50,S40 C70)