Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

When did the T5 become a 4 pot..?

Views : 2287

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 25th, 2016, 23:22   #1
AndysR
VOC Member

Default When did the T5 become a 4 pot..?

As above... Basically I'm quite interested in getting a V40, specifically the T5. I see that the T5 is now a 4 pot, knew that they'd dropped the 5 pot before looking, but when did the T5 change to a 4 pot and has anyone had any experience. Having had an 850 for the better part of 9 years I just love the 5 pot warble and can't see the 4 pot providing the same smiles for miles that the 5 pot would? From what I can see the T5 is rare at the best of times but if I can source a 5 cylinder which still has manufacturers warranty I think I'd seriously consider buying it over a new 4 cylinder one.

If anyone has any experience of either model I'd really appreciate the feedback
Old Aug 26th, 2016, 06:23   #2
steV50

I think the 4 cylinder T5 was introduced for the 2015 model year cars so would have been on sale from around June/July 2014. As you say any V40 T5 is very rare in the UK.
steV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2016, 14:13   #3
H20 VOLVO

I've got one (or should I say my wife). It's the 4 pot one.

I used to have an 850 T5 manual and a C70 T5 auto, so can comment on both.

The 4 pot tends to hunt for gears a lot (possibly due to it being 8 speed and also for better co2 and mpg figures). It's still rapid when on the move - 30-50 and 50-70 all similar to the 5 pot. Engine note is not as nice as a 5-pot (althought he polestar exhaust might improve that for £1,000....).

They come as Lux-Nav models, so pretty much fully specced, and all are auto.

A lot of ex-management cars come up, and they don't move that quickly in the trade, so you can grab a well-specced, low mileage bargain. MPG not too bad really. But you don't really buy a T5 for mpg - but I would say a bit better than the old 5 pots.

Usual Volvo chassis limitations haven't changed - you will usually light up the front tyres if pulling away quickly, and also has the torque steer too - but nothing new to a seasoned T5 driver. The press class it as a performace tourer really - bit of a Sleeper/Q-Car. Looks no different to a D2, but is rapid.

Like-for-like, it's also miles cheaper than a Golf GTi/R, S3, AMG-45 or an M1, and better specced. Although I'm not suggesting it handles better, as I don't think it does - but that doesn't matter to the average UK driver on pot-holed roads.

Steve
H20 VOLVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2016, 16:29   #4
villarsch

Very interesting comments about the T5. I changed our S80 V8 for a V40 T5 R in January 2015. Its small size makes it very useable in crowded Essex, while the performance (now it has the Polestar upgrade) is quite interesting and satisfying. I do not know if the Polestar exhaust has a better exhaust note, but there could be problems with induction roar. Has anyone experienced this exhaust? Could anyone who has this exhaust on their car please advise? As you say, a real Q-car, and a delight to drive.
Villarsch
villarsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2016, 23:44   #5
AndysR
VOC Member

Some nice encouraging comments about the T5's so far, feeling a bit better about not necessarily limiting myself to the 5 pot T5, it's good to know the 2.0 still packs the punch when it's needed, anyone tried the V40 T5 5 cylinder and also the 4 cylinder? Also keen to know what people think of the Polestar exhaust if they've experienced?
Old Sep 9th, 2016, 23:01   #6
Volvophile
Premier Member

I've driven the V40 T5 four pot and I can say it may as well be a Ford engine. There is little Volvo about it and that disappoints me to admit.

New Volvo engines are characterless, particularly the petrol units. I would say take a drive in one and see what you think yourself.
Volvophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2016, 11:47   #7
Fantastic
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20 VOLVO View Post
... Volvo chassis limitations haven't changed - you will usually light up the front tyres if pulling away quickly, and also has the torque steer too - but nothing new to a seasoned T5 driver. The press class it as a performace tourer really - bit of a Sleeper/Q-Car. Looks no different to a D2, but is rapid.
You mention spinning fronts and torque steer on your wifes V40 T5. Can I ask, is it FWD or AWD? I'm wondering about a V40CC T5 AWD but as said above they are few and far apart so a test drive at dealer is difficult (I think the nearest is 250 odd miles away at moment).

Cheers.
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 14:07   #8
H20 VOLVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantastic View Post
You mention spinning fronts and torque steer on your wifes V40 T5. Can I ask, is it FWD or AWD? I'm wondering about a V40CC T5 AWD but as said above they are few and far apart so a test drive at dealer is difficult (I think the nearest is 250 odd miles away at moment).

Cheers.
The FWD R-Design. You shouldnt have any issue with the AWD. In fact most people believe all T5s, current and past would have been better as AWD - plenty of power, but sometimes you just can't use it as easily with FWD.

Mind you, my V70 D5 (215bhp) FWD was the same too - just wheel spinning if ever so slightly damp when pulling away.

So yes, the V40CC T5 AWD should be a great choice - and I think most reviews say that too.

Don't forget the new XC40 should be with us next year too.... may impact on sales of the V40CC and therefore costs. It doesn't replace the CC, just a full SUV version.
The Following User Says Thank You to H20 VOLVO For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 14:14   #9
H20 VOLVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvophile View Post
I've driven the V40 T5 four pot and I can say it may as well be a Ford engine. There is little Volvo about it and that disappoints me to admit.

New Volvo engines are characterless, particularly the petrol units. I would say take a drive in one and see what you think yourself.
True - but it's still quick.

The main issue is Volvo promote it more as a Tourer, than an outright performance car, and therefore the engine note etc. wasn't designed into it.

A Golf GTi or R, has got the exaust warble, and a deeper induction roar to give it that character. It wouldn't take much for Volvo to do the same, if demand was there - which it isn't.

As for the Polestar exhaust - it's an expensive option, and fairly new out. Not many have it, and from YouTube clips, it appears that it's quite 'throaty', although only seen it on a V60, so not quite a like-for-like test. If it's similar to this, then the noise is probably a little too much if anything.

I just don't think the T5 engine sells enough in any range at the moment, to justify much tweaking.
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 14:49   #10
Fantastic
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20 VOLVO View Post
The FWD R-Design. You shouldnt have any issue with the AWD. In fact most people believe all T5s, current and past would have been better as AWD - plenty of power, but sometimes you just can't use it as easily with FWD.

Mind you, my V70 D5 (215bhp) FWD was the same too - just wheel spinning if ever so slightly damp when pulling away.

So yes, the V40CC T5 AWD should be a great choice - and I think most reviews say that too.

Don't forget the new XC40 should be with us next year too.... may impact on sales of the V40CC and therefore costs. It doesn't replace the CC, just a full SUV version.
Thanks for the info. I nearly got one early summer, but found out that Volvo had dropped the AWD bit off - strange, but it is Volvo UK after all ☺. They have now apparently put AWD back on so it's now part of my wish list again.
I have a few more questions when I've time before deciding but will not hijack this thread.