Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

external air temperature

Views : 6415

Replies : 55

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 27th, 2008, 13:34   #1
alfiembra

Default external air temperature

The reading on my 05 S40 1.6d is regularly going haywire just now, was showing -7 degrees yesterday when it was about +15 degrees. Is this a common problem and if so is it an easy fix?

Cheers

Alan
alfiembra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 14:08   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Most likely the door connector wiring , at the multi-plug on the door best to speak to your dealer about this one ...whether in warranty or not it may be to your benefit .The sensor is that little pip on the bottom of the left mirror
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 15:01   #3
MavUK

I have this issue on my 2005 V50 - it's something the garage has never been able to fix (or reproduce TBH - I get it two or three times a year...)
MavUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 15:42   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Your Volvo dealer should know what to do to repair this by now with this particular symptom ...
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 11:52   #5
Milton Keynes

I had the same problem recently.

I got to my V50 one morning to find the drivers door no longer locks with the remote key fob and I have to use the key (all other doors work fine).

Then for the duration of the journey I found the outside air temp was reading -6 degrees which meant the heater was going crazy. I had it set on 14 degrees and it was blowing hot air. I turned auto climate off so I just had the fan and found the windows all steamed up.

When I got back in later it had sorted itself out so I left it until I next needed work done (which happens to be now).

I'll report back on my findings.
Milton Keynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 21:02   #6
MavUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes View Post
I had the same problem recently.

I got to my V50 one morning to find the drivers door no longer locks with the remote key fob and I have to use the key (all other doors work fine).

Then for the duration of the journey I found the outside air temp was reading -6 degrees which meant the heater was going crazy. I had it set on 14 degrees and it was blowing hot air. I turned auto climate off so I just had the fan and found the windows all steamed up.

When I got back in later it had sorted itself out so I left it until I next needed work done (which happens to be now).

I'll report back on my findings.
Hmm, that's totally different from me (thankfully)... I just get in the car to see -15 or so which gradually warms to to the real temperature over the next few miles. My Climate works as it should during this time.
MavUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 13:48   #7
Milton Keynes

Exclamation How big a job is this?

Has anyone had this work done now?

Is it a big job? Does it involve a new sensor? How much work is involved?

My dealership couldn't find anything wrong at the time I took it in, but now it is occuring on a daily basis and I am sick of having to drive to work in my pants because my sensor is reading -16 and at 14 degrees my aircon is blowing out hot air!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am desperately trying to keep up with the monthly problems I have with this car but if I have to keep going back to the dealership I'll be broke by christmas!
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 16:55   #8
alfiembra

My car is going in for a service next tuesday so I'm planning to get them to check it while it's in, I'll post up any news next week.

Alan
alfiembra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 18:54   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

This problem isnt the sensor at all it is the wiring multi plug in the doorshut . Your dealer should be very aware of this by now , your car may have a policy against it for new gold plated connectors . Try another dealer with experience ...
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 08:31   #10
Milton Keynes

Default Door connector

That's interesting because the problem started at the same time as my drivers door lock stopped working via remote.

I have just paid out £200 to get a new door lock put on and my temp gauge is still going nuts. I'm now wondering if I even actually needed the new door lock at all or if I could have just got the connector plate changed?

Do you know roughly how much I should expect to pay to get this problem sorted?