Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazon conversion to Electric

Views : 6951

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 17:13   #21
morwenna240

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitep View Post
I personally am simply looking for something equivalent to my Renault Zoe. It is 89hp and does about 100 miles depending on season. In summer its more in winter its less.

On one of the EV forums lots of people seem to think because I am converting I should be slicing and dicing the car. Putting 200kg of batteries and 300hp motors. Losing the back seat etc. Or taking a smashed Nissan Leaf and putting it in the Amazon.

THAT IS NOT MY AIM!

I want to take an almost stock classic car. Restore her. Keep her as original as possible, but with an electric motor. The 1.8 engine was about 86hp, so the gearbox and running gear can stay. I hope to hide 3 battery cells in the back and 2 in the front. A 75hp(ish) motor on the gearbox. All the other electronics in the front. This should keep the corner weight similar to stock. Perhaps a little heavier.

I don't want to effectively take a pre existing car and put the Amazon body on it. Its lots of work and I might as well buy and drive a pre existing car. I want it to be different. A daily commuter. And simple.

Granted I will add mod cons. Maybe a LCD dash because the stock one will have lots of unused bits in the electric car. Also a stereo, Aux port, USB ports etc. Maybe proximity sensors, I dont know yet.
No, no, NO! No proximity sensors! Look behind you, DRIVE your car, not be dictated to by a computer. (sorry if seems rantish)
morwenna240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to morwenna240 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2020, 14:30   #22
Bracpan

https://www.londonelectriccars.com/

I like the way these people convert classic cars, the Minor for example can be converted back to ICE very easy if needed. The motor was bolted to the gearbox via an adaptor to keep things simple as it does not actually need the G/B.
Batteries were spread over the car to aid weight distribution, some where the fuel tank used to be.. all in all a very practical solution.

https://www.electricclassiccars.co.uk/

This company is very professional and the one i spoke to a lot when I was considering a conversion... they do some lovely conversions with considerable power if requested. And again i believe they can be converted back if needed. As one car was a 308 Ferrari and i can imagine in the future the genuine V8 in the car would make it more valuable, but there again you never know !
I would have loved to go ahead but the evil problem of cost got in the way.. one day perhaps.

So i'm really looking forward to see how this conversion progresses. I would personally keep it as simple as possible
Bracpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2020, 10:44   #23
Army
marches on his stomach

How about practical things like where are you going to fit the batteries?

How much extra weight will the existing structure have to carry?

Have "they" actually decided on a standard battery shape for vehicles or is it going to be one of those ever changing pains in your backside every time you need to replace the batteries? (In which case have you thought of future proofing the battery considerations during the restoration phase?)

######

I think electric is certainly the way forward for "classic vehicles that you want to use" - given half the chance I will definitely do something similar with one or more of my vehicles.
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2020, 16:10   #24
Derek UK
VOC Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvyCetgy_os
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 4th, 2020, 19:12   #25
Bracpan

That's the chap i spoke to and i was also going to use the Tesla motor in a very small and light special saloon car, but with different batteries. (only 6)
As you can see they are a very professional team and the Land Rover was very impressive. Not sure about the baby poo colour but if you can afford that changing the colour is no problem.. i would not say no to that in any colour but a nice dark metallic green would have looked better i think.
Old Oct 5th, 2020, 18:47   #26
morwenna240

Hmm. Looks as if idea works ok, an no doubt, it's a good thing, all those silly SUVs to be got rid of. I suppose i'd have one if forced. Yet, half the point of a classic is it's engine, all the senses it feeds. The only saving grace of electric, in this sense, is the astounding power available. Apart from the obvious cleanliness of the fuel, all else is negative, to me. An you are still producing pollutants, brake an tyre dust.
morwenna240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2020, 07:57   #27
Underdrive

Although electric vehicles maybe 'clean' in their lack of emissions where they are being driven, they are far from 'green'. The electricity they are charged with is only as clean as the method of generating it, still mostly coal or nuclear around the world. Plus the rare metals used in the motors and batteries are finite. They are often mined in the poorest countries by exploited children paid a pitance and will at the current rate, run out before fossil fuels.
Underdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Underdrive For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2020, 09:49   #28
Army
marches on his stomach

I agree that manufacturing, "doing stuff", batteries, tyres and brakes cause polution but in a way those aspects are pretty much out of the common man's hands...

...if there happens to be a future for "classic cars that you want to use" I think the chances are pretty high that an electric conversion will be the main way in which people can keep their classic cars on the road.

(Eventually we will probably have to install a robot that drives them for us too!)

In the UK "they" are saying that by 2035 no more internal combustion engines will be sold. It is obvious this rule isn't going to go far enough to reduce at street level polution (let alone the pollution caused before the vehicle is actually driving down the street). I think "they" will have to do more - and do more more quickly.

Despite the panic and stress I have heard through out my life time that the oil will run out it seems much more likely that "they" will have to stop the wide spread use of oil based fuels.

Perversely it seems that my plans to convert my diesel Mercedes to petrol in order to keep it going for a few more years now seems like a bad idea. In principle I will be able to make my own fuel for an old fashioned diesel engine even if fossile fuels are no longer sold....

...realistically, however, electric seems to be the most likely reasonable solution.

For me an electric conversion is all about the practicality of being able to use and drive something with character (at some undisclosed point in the future)
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Army For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2020, 13:33   #29
Derek UK
VOC Member

Bracpan. Note that the Defender conversion was £152k! You can get 3 Teslas for that.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2020, 13:58   #30
Bracpan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Bracpan. Note that the Defender conversion was £152k! You can get 3 Teslas for that.
Yes I did (Gulp) when I spoke to them the prices really shocked me especially as i could have done all the installation myself...I was actually talking with another company from the Bristol area and they knew each other well and recommended that I got some bits from them and some from the Electric Classic cars... it was then i started to do the maths and got a big shock... The Telsa motor was around 7K but the rest of the kit tripled the costs and that was for a car that only needed to do about 15 miles all weekend... its a shame i think it would have been an interesting project..
Perhaps in the future when more damaged electric cars become available..

Ill be watching this guys progress that's for sure