Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Telematics insurance - is it that bad?

Views : 2334

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2022, 09:15   #21
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicBike View Post
I've used them extensively to cover old cars and new, never had an issue but never had to claim either.
Every insurance company’s dream! 😇
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2022, 12:54   #22
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicBike View Post
I've used them extensively to cover old cars and new, never had an issue but never had to claim either.
unfortunately you usually only find out how good , or Not they are when you make/try to make a claim,, or sit there with the renewal notice laughing as they really Are taking the P this time
paying and never having to find out "perfect customer, raise the renewal" as far as in-sewer-rats is concerned.

i have had "good" brokers in the past when it came to paying them, who had been brilliant on price for a few years, great service at renewal time and then one year i found out they had not forwarded the payment onto the Actual insurance company, and said company were chasing ME for the payment, despite bank receipts/records saying i had paid up,,,, leaving me out of pocket Without a policy and playing with the law to reclaim monies ,,, (said broker is no longer trading due to a Few cases of very similar things,,,) QED others experience's Are info to share so people can make an informed choice, this culture of "dont say if its bad" , does more harm than good,
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 20:10   #23
Cloth Ears

With telematics, people should keep in mind that the GDPR says that by and large companies can’t make significant decisions that affect people, by completely automated processing. So if the telematics dob you in for something, and your insurance gets automatically cancelled as a result, you’d have a right to have that decision reviewed by a human. You might argue that the circumstances made the event less significant than it might appear, for example, or that the event wasn’t sufficiently severe or significant to justify the draconian outcome, namely cancellation of insurance, and which was disproportionate to the transgression that led to it.
Cloth Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 20:35   #24
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
I'm not a saint.

I'm just canny and have never been caught!
It’s only illegal when you get caught anyway

TT
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 20:37   #25
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloth Ears View Post
With telematics, people should keep in mind that the GDPR says that by and large companies can’t make significant decisions that affect people, by completely automated processing. So if the telematics dob you in for something, and your insurance gets automatically cancelled as a result, you’d have a right to have that decision reviewed by a human. You might argue that the circumstances made the event less significant than it might appear, for example, or that the event wasn’t sufficiently severe or significant to justify the draconian outcome, namely cancellation of insurance, and which was disproportionate to the transgression that led to it.
Is this factual or correct? GDPR exists to control how organisations handle private information and is not relevant to the human rights act etc.

Sharing data as an ensurer provided it is to regulations would seem to be acceptable. This would be undertaken in the same way insurers share no claims discounts and accident information.

Unless of course you are a practicing GDPR personnel in which case I have learnt something new.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 21:48   #26
Cloth Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
Is this factual or correct? GDPR exists to control how organisations handle private information and is not relevant to the human rights act etc.

Sharing data as an ensurer provided it is to regulations would seem to be acceptable. This would be undertaken in the same way insurers share no claims discounts and accident information.

Unless of course you are a practicing GDPR personnel in which case I have learnt something new.
Yep, you’ve learnt something new GDPR isn’t just about how organisations handle information, there are a number of rights that individuals have in relation to their data, and one of them is that companies can’t make automated decisions about you which have a significant effect, without you having a right to request the decision be reviewed and remade by a person.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cloth Ears For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 17:35   #27
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloth Ears View Post
Yep, you’ve learnt something new GDPR isn’t just about how organisations handle information, there are a number of rights that individuals have in relation to their data, and one of them is that companies can’t make automated decisions about you which have a significant effect, without you having a right to request the decision be reviewed and remade by a person.
which is all well and good relating to "personal" issues,
however when a law has been broken,,, its a different kettle of strawberries
also check out the clauses relating to "sharing information between insurance companies to prevent fraud + other things"

net result
if you have any sort of telemetrics installed Expect far far less leeway than a Proper plod person who could choose to use his informed common sense and allow Discretion
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 19:34   #28
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Except these companies aren't making automated decisions.

Exceptional data is automatically flagged and a human makes the decision, and if that decision is cancellation that usually has to be ratified by a second person after being checked against certain criteria.

Provided they play the game properly, which they do, they are entitled to cut total nutters loose - its a contract, not a suicide pact.

Interestingly, Google pulls up a gazillion examples of incidents where people have had telematics policies cancelled, yet not a single tale of anyone successfully challenging at all, never mind as an abuse of process under GDPR. Their right to cancel if you misbehave is clearly spelled out in the T&C's, and every single customer either signs or ticks to box to confirm they have read and agree to those conditions.
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 19:50   #29
marcb
Master Member

I took out a third party fire and theft policy with Adrian Flux, who were very helpful and wanted the business because they almost immediately dropped an initial quote by £200. It's about £150 more than the cheapest telematics policy (quoted by Bell) but it's worth it I reckon to give my son flexibility and peace of mind. I tried another broker but that was way more and it is partly because it is a low value car.

I also got a mobile mechanic to put in a new starter motor so it's been a bit of pricey month...
marcb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marcb For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 09:17   #30
Cloth Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
Except these companies aren't making automated decisions.

Exceptional data is automatically flagged and a human makes the decision, and if that decision is cancellation that usually has to be ratified by a second person after being checked against certain criteria.

Provided they play the game properly, which they do, they are entitled to cut total nutters loose - its a contract, not a suicide pact.

Interestingly, Google pulls up a gazillion examples of incidents where people have had telematics policies cancelled, yet not a single tale of anyone successfully challenging at all, never mind as an abuse of process under GDPR. Their right to cancel if you misbehave is clearly spelled out in the T&C's, and every single customer either signs or ticks to box to confirm they have read and agree to those conditions.
Which is fine. The earlier post seemed to suggest that there was a "computer says 'no' " aspect to all this, ie the slightest transgression and the policy was automatically voided. In that sort of situation, the GDPR would give you a legitimate right to challenge. If, as you say, and as I would expect, any data is reviewed and a person makes a rational decision as to whether it warrants cancelling the policy, then that's fine and GDPR has nothing to say.

The other stuff upthread about law breaking, and other aspects of GDPR might, or might not be relevant depending on the context. The specific thing I was bringing to peoples' attention was the GDPR right not to be subject to wholly-automated decision-making in circumstances where it has a significant effect.