Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 D2 poor economy & running

Views : 4515

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 30th, 2011, 21:01   #1
TEECE

Thumbs down C30 D2 poor economy & running

Hi out there I have a year old c30 d2 which does not pull away smoothly and has poor fuel consumption at 44/gallon no matter how I drive. Any ideas as local dealer just fobs me off?
TEECE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 22:32   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

the dealer will have a fix if he reads his service bulletins , try another dealer ..
Old Dec 4th, 2011, 15:41   #3
kenny37

44 mpg ? some of us can only dream of these dizzy hights !!
kenny37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2011, 21:56   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

i know of one which had the secondary adaption treatment last week , and got 57 mpg on the treatment drive over 45 miles . The diesel knock disappeared too . It seems when these cars are out of adaption most average in the low 40's to the gallon ...
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 17:24   #5
stevep999

Hi Clan

Does this apply to all D2`s? I've had my11nearly two months and the average on the comp never goes above 43/44 ish. Seems to run OK other than that. ZShould a dealer need much convincing to action?
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 18:51   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

mainly those made between june and september 2010 , but i guess it could be othe rD2 as well .
If you havent reset your average fuel consumption for a while its not going to move far from where it is now , re set it now and see what the current average will be with some miles on the clock , you wont be trying to making up for heavier consumption when new then .
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 21:58   #7
vencato

Thumbs up

[B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEECE View Post
Hi out there I have a year old c30 d2 which does not pull away smoothly and has poor fuel consumption at 44/gallon no matter how I drive. Any ideas as local dealer just fobs me off?
Hi sure..this is understandable, I have a Start Stop SE zero road tax job...C30 2010 model...You have to nurse them around like a nun etc...my car reads 66.6 all round MPG on the dash reader in the summer when the system is running hot...This means no use of the Air Con...I turn the light to the zero position to take the large beam bulbs off to save power...If you punt the car or drive about dragging the clutch about ie anything over 1800 rpm in any gear it starts chewing the fuel up and the average mileage reader starts dropping like a stone...In winter when the car is running cold in extreme temps ie 4 and below the fuel starts dropping possibly 3 miles per gallon difference than in the summer...A good way to increase fuel economy is by learning to glide quite a bit...the over run on my car appears to be great...the longest glide I have done without stepping on the gas with an instantaneous reading of 99.9 was nearly 2 miles on a slight down hill gradient...The car appears to have some type of aerodynamic under tray which is similar to ground effect in an F1 car it is very noticeable...The Michelin low energy tyres are exceptional for drag reduction in this instance but do not last well if you live near lots of roundabouts, front tyres have lasted me 24,000...As for pull away on start all of these diesels seem to drag and suffer from turbo lag issues...It is a question of feathering and clutch control...1st gear in my car is quite short well very short in fact...Third gear seems to be the power punch of my c30..

Last edited by vencato; Jan 27th, 2012 at 22:00.
vencato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 22:12   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

I don't know if TEECE has had it fixed yet , but there is a new software come out for these problems this month .
you are right , power starts in 3rd gear because turbo boost power is reduced in first and second gears ...
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 22:54   #9
grin factor

Interesting post vencato, I turn my lights off too, as I find day lights a pain to be honest, but have notived the over run on the instant trip too. I've done an eco run and driving softly managed 55.
grin factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 18:34   #10
vencato

Default C30 Awesome Car 66.6 MPG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grin factor View Post
Interesting post vencato, I turn my lights off too, as I find day lights a pain to be honest, but have notived the over run on the instant trip too. I've done an eco run and driving softly managed 55.
Hi Sure Grin Factor 55 is good...!!! Well done old chum. 66.6 is hard to attain as it equates to around 58 around the town and nearly 80 on a long run...I can get to Bluewater shopping centre on really silly money for a family of four...Try doing that journey on a bus or train, makes the Top Gear boys mantra about cars & public transport, sing even louder...: C30 Start Stop is an awesome car, with the Aero tweeks and the Libra flush diamond flat wheels...It is a swedish love affair, that does have some issues with anglo idiosyncrasies...One has to stroke this car to attain the best out of her...I reckon the London to Edinburgh run could easily be smashed in this car on 90% of a full tank...The highest end of tank reading I have ever seen on the dash reader is over 1000....cheers vencato +++

Last edited by vencato; Jan 31st, 2012 at 18:37.
vencato is offline   Reply With Quote