Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is it worth stripping modifications prior to sale?

Views : 3488

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 4th, 2019, 12:15   #1
TarmacNymph

Lightbulb Is it worth stripping modifications prior to sale?

Hello to all and welcome to my first post as a new member.

I have been a forum user in the past and know that some have minimum criteria for sale posts, etc. I had a quick scan and didn't see anything but if there is such a requirement then please throw me in the right direction. Albeit, this isn't a sale post as such, just a query pertaining to one.

The crux:

I have been the owner of a 'dark blue' (couldn't find the correct paint code / name via Google but I'm sure it's in my owners documentation at home) since July 2014. It is a 2010 V50 D5 SE Sport on a 59 plate, manual gearbox, and I am the second owner.

Since starting a new job in May of last year I have been using the bus to get to work as it is much cheaper than parking costs, and since then my wife has been badgering me to sell it as I very rarely use it. I have resisted to the best of my capabilities but the reality is, I don't use it, and paying for two cars when we only need one is no longer making sense.

The problem arises due to the fact that I love to modify my cars, and my V50 is no exception. I owned a Honda Civic Type R EP3 prior to this and stripping it of its modifications and then selling the car in standard guise netted me a much healthier return but it was a royal pain in the posterior.

My question(s) therefore is/are:
Is it worth stripping my V50 and selling it as a standard car?
Is there a market for second hand modifications for this model (or counterparts that utilise the same parts)?
Is there a market for such a vehicle if I was to sell it as it stands?
What sort of figures should I/ could I expect from selling a standard car plus parts versus selling it as a whole?

I have a ballpark figure based on a quick AutoTrader / PistonHeads search, where there is only one manual D5 currently available with higher mileage (mine has just broken the 100k barrier) and it seems to have a shabby interior compared to mine. This is up for £3,500 so could mine command a slight premium? I also have a figure from WBAC but knowing that they never pay what they offer I am reluctant to use them.

For reference, as the car stands:

Additional options already fitted (at point of purchase):

Full R-Design body kit and interior Sport options
Sport lowering springs and chassis bracing
320mm front disc brake upgrade
Front fog lights
Upgraded "High Performance" sound system (fantastically good, with brilliant bass and clarity for just door components)
18 x 7.5 "Midir" alloy wheels, et52.5
Load compartment retractable protective nylon net
Luggage compartment retractable cover
Matt chrome R-Design roof rails
Winter pack (heated seats, etc)

Additional parts already fitted (since point of purchase):

Full Thule bike carrier system (for two bikes) comprising of:
* 757 foot pack (set of four)
* 961 WingBars (set of two)
* 532 Freeride bike carriers (two of)
Replacement set of genuine Volvo Sport matts
Replacement OEM wheel centre caps

Fitted Modifications:

RICA 'Sports Tune' remap - circa 253bhp and 405lbft!
Hayward & Scott custom 3" turbo-back exhaust with DPF delete, catalyst removal, and re-circ bypass
Heico front grill
K&N replacement filter
Porsche Boxster 986 front callipers with Shark Performance custom fitting kit
Pagid RS29 front pads
DBA 320mm 2120 slotted front discs
EBC USR slotted rear discs
Ferodo DS2500 rear pads
Goodridge braided brake lines
Motul RBF600 brake fluid
DO88 front intercooler
Elevate 26mm rear ARB
Elevate gearbox mount plus V50 T5 gearbox bracket
OEM Midir wheels refurbished in anthracite
Yokohama AD08R tyres - 225/40/18
SuperForma hub-centric spacers fitted up front to clear the callipers (15mm) and to the rear to fill the arches better (20mm)
Spax RSX101 coilovers (35mm to 65mm drop, currently at a 40mm drop front and 50mm drop rear)
CompBrake Focus RS mkii adjustable front top mounts
SMD custom front spring top mount locators
Full Powerflex bush kit comprising of:
* Front wishbone lower front
* Front wishbone rear
* Front anti-roll bar
* Rear track control arm - inner
* Rear track control arm - outer
* Rear upper trailing arm
* Rear lower trailing arm
* Rear anti-roll bar
De-badged
Front number plate bolt holes removed, area smoothed, and sticker number plate relocated to nearside of front bumper underneath headlight
All four arches rolled
Every bulb replaced with Osram units, apart from front and rear indicators which are Silvatec

I presume that I can post pictures via the likes of PhotoBucket, etc.? As I can attempt to do that if necessary.

Your help will be greatly appreciated and thank you for your time.

Karl.
TarmacNymph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TarmacNymph For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 12:45   #2
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Emm, can I just quickly "oh, wow" myself internally reading trough list?...
:} impressive to say the least. It would be a terrible shame to part it out as this seem to be nice one-for-all package, but in the same time finding someone who will appreciate&enjoy it for a premium price - thats another story.
I guess that easy things like roof/bike racks etc are much better to be sold separately, but parting out mods like brakes or DP makes no sense as time/effort from your side, I think. Your best option is to advertise it properly on forums and sites (and groups like FB's volvotuning or V50group) witn pics and full list of mods and wait for a "right person" to find it.
It may be a bit of a niche car/market but if you are not in a panic, maybe its better to wait? If I was selling my unicorn I would prefer it to go as-is to a volvofan rather than put it into random carsell website/place where market value would mean pennies.
just my thoughts, best of luck in sale!
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 13:30   #3
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Worth noting that car won't pass an MOT because of the DPF delete.

Personally I'd strip that car down as much as possible (but retaining the remap) Remember that this car shares it's platform with the Ford Focus and Mazda 3, so there is a bigger audience for some of these parts than just Volvo owners.
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 13:49   #4
TarmacNymph

Thanks Lizard, it has had a stupendous amount of money spent on it. My wife tells me that I never learn, and it seems she is right (again!).

Biding my time for the "right one" could be an option, but now that I have made the decision to part with it, I don't want there to be enough time for me to change my mind; if that makes sense?

It will get advertised but I just wanted clarification on the route I should take, perhaps from anyone that has experienced the same turmoil as me.

I.e., if the parts will only net me £1,500 and the cost of removing them is approaching £1,000, will the niche nature of the modified vehicle render this still worth pursuing? As money wise, all that effort for £500 isn't viable.

And T5R, I am aware of the interchangeable platforms, a few of the parts are Ford / Volvo T5 as you are probably aware.

The RICA tuning box will have to go with the car irrespective of whether the owner wants the maps or not, as the box is coded to the vehicles' VIN.
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 14:44   #5
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarmacNymph View Post
Thanks Lizard, it has had a stupendous amount of money spent on it. My wife tells me that I never learn, and it seems she is right (again!).
hehe, why do I know this? :} but thats how it is, some ppl will treat is as driveable object, some will treat is as pride&joy. If you add a hard case of car OCD where every squeak needs to be inspected and every knock eliminated, well, then you land in the same pot as I am :]

Cant advise you unfortunately, I get where you are going with your logic but I just think it would be a shame to dismantle a perceftly tuned&balanced machine and sell out its pieces, but its just a look from enthusiast perspective. If it makes more sense or $$ to you, part it out.
do you have all original parts to replace it with? (stock IC, brakes, DP etc etc) ? can you revert it back to 100% stock as hardware goes?
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 14:59   #6
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Definitely post some pictures. Even if you are just hyperlinking to an image gallery.

I think you have a good case for asking for a premium price just on the basis that it's a facelift manual D5, with low miles.

Though it all depends on how extreme the exterior mods are.

Last edited by T5R92011; Apr 4th, 2019 at 15:04.
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 15:28   #7
Yobbo
Dave

Mate, that is a fantastic setup!
It would be painful to go through the rmeoval process however as stated previously there will be demand for the parts your have retrofittted.
Might be a pig in some cases and not a viable option, though suspension, brakes, spacers, intercooler, are fairly easy to swap out.
The exhaust however - and because of the mapping won't be so easy, unless the DPF case is part of the system...

I've a few questions if you don't mind me asking? -
How is the clutch holding up with the torque and how long have you been driving with the RICA Sports Tune?
Some have said in the past that it's quite aggressive on the drivetrain!

Are the adjustable top mounts these ones? - https://www.compbrake.com/product/fo...ly-guaranteed/
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 15:51   #8
TarmacNymph

Lizard - Yes I have all original parts to be able to revert back to standard apart from the exhaust (which the fabricator spliced to obtain the sensor locations).
I would rather it went to someone who would appreciate it in its entirety, both from an enthusiasts perspective as well as saving me massive stress, haha.

T5R - I'll see if I have any pictures already loaded on hosting sites and see about posting them.
Exterior modifications are subtle. The only thing that's noticeable is the number plate delete. The arches have been rolled to accommodate the increased track and to stop the wheels from scrubbing.

Yobbo - Thanks.
RICA map has been running for over three years now and the clutch seems fine. Yet I do minimal mileage so that could be a contributing factor. I have, however, tracked it at Spa in Belgium twice and the clutch didn't seem to be a concern with consistent heavy driving. Tyre pressures, that's a different story!
As for the top mounts, they're a Ford RS MKii part but I can't find them on the website for some reason, they look like this, however:
https://www.compbrake.com/product/vo...ly-guaranteed/
The Following User Says Thank You to TarmacNymph For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 16:05   #9
TarmacNymph

Last edited by TarmacNymph; Apr 4th, 2019 at 16:11. Reason: More images.
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 16:13   #10
TarmacNymph

Wow, they're massive. Any reason they won't format to conventional size for on screen viewing?

And these are before the brake upgrades and spacers. Don't have any "of the minute" pictures floating around on the web.