Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

960 LPG conversion

Views : 2140

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2008, 18:35   #11
FRUB
I wish I understood!!

Default LPG Single Point

The problems with single point are numerous, Cutting out after relative high speed runs leading to difficulty in starting being one of them, cutting out at lights leaving you high and dry being another.

The biggy is that they sometime run too lean (mainly because they can be difficult to set up and the gas men run them lean.) Running lean equals running very hot which leads to head gasket failing. It happened to me and it ain't cheap if, like me, you can't do it yourself.

Go for the best system you can afford is good, solid advice.
FRUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 13:27   #12
GavinC
GavinC

IMO singlepoint can be very problematic, as can multipoint. Multipoint can be great, as can singlepoint. Multipoint should be better as it is a more exact, later technology. Singlepoint has advantages in its simplicity - however that can be its downfall. Multipoint is more complex - and that can be its downfall. However, on balance, a well chosen, well specified, well set up multipoint should beat singlepoint every time in every way. However not all systems are the same. And then, of course, you've got variability with the fitters...

Though clean burning and half the price of petrol, LPG as an alternative fuel has been more than a little 'bitched' in the UK. Partly because we use a 'cheaper' propane/butane mix which has undesirable implications for 'burn' characteristics - but mostly, IMO, 'cos of inept DIY and cowboy fitters. Also because many engines do not have valves and valve seats hard enough for LPG. Some - not all - Volvo engines are considered by some to be ideal, however. Perhaps Flashlube is the answer for all engines... I dunno, though. In fact, I don't know nearly enough to sort my way through all the bull dust around LPG. Because they are a significant exporter of LPG, Australian websites and forums on LPG are interesting and motorists there have had longer and more extensive experience of it than we do in the UK. Some Australian motorists claim very high mileages of reliable motoring.

One thing is for sure, though. FRUB and MDR point to it... Cut corners with LPG and it all ends in tears with problem running and/or engine damage way in excess of potential savings. First and foremost it requires the ignition system to be in top nick.

Wish we could have an authoritative 'sticky' so that Volvo owners thinking of converting can get a handle on best system (if possible by car model and turbo/non-turbo) AND recommended fitters. I, for one, recommend Autogas 2000 at Carlton Minniott nr. Thirsk, N. Yorks.
GavinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 21:53   #13
capt jack
VOC Member

[/QUOTE]Wish we could have an authoritative 'sticky' so that Volvo owners thinking of converting can get a handle on best system (if possible by car model and turbo/non-turbo) AND recommended fitters. I, for one, recommend Autogas 2000 at Carlton Minniott nr. Thirsk, N. Yorks.[/QUOTE]

DITTO!

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 15:33   #14
Terminator
VOC Member

Wish we could have an authoritative 'sticky' so that Volvo owners thinking of converting can get a handle on best system (if possible by car model and turbo/non-turbo) AND recommended fitters. I, for one, recommend Autogas 2000 at Carlton Minniott nr. Thirsk, N. Yorks.[/QUOTE]

DITTO!

Jack[/QUOTE]

And for those down South, Arun Autogas, Littlehampton, West Sussex.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 10:48   #15
M D E
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M D E View Post
I also was running my 960 1995 3.0 Auto on LPG until the older single point fuel injection system blew the engine up.

Lesson learn't buy the best multipoint fuel injection system with seperate / standalone ECU and fuel management system. Do not cut corners, as this experience shows......
The single point injection system should never have been fitted. I went to start the car a few minutes after turning off. The Petrol mixed with the LPG on start-up and caused both fuels to ignite causing the inlet manifold be to blown clean off the engine block which in turn caught the engine bay alight. It took 8 months to get back on the road as the wiring harnesses had melted.
340GL,740GL,850GLT,850 T5,850 R,V70R,(95) 960 3.0,480 Turbos in white, black, blue, gold,S60 T5
M D E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 22:39   #16
GavinC
GavinC

MDE - That's serious damage and sorry to hear that.

The type of unfortunate and costly experience which highlights, IMO, why we need a 'sticky' as a convenient resource identifying best systems and recommended fitters as suggested in my previous post.

There are too many poorly fitted and/or poorly specified systems 'bitching' the reputation of this clean-burning fuel for too many of us.

Is there any reason why a 'sticky' ...Recommended Fitters and Systems ( by car model) would be inappropriate/not possible?

Last edited by GavinC; Nov 24th, 2008 at 22:40. Reason: typo
GavinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 00:25   #17
John_C
Allons-y!

I can't see a reason why there couldn't be a sticky post where members can post their personal experiences with their cars, installers and systems.

We could try something like:

Car (Model, engine and year):
Fitter (Name and county):
LPG system fitted (specify make and single or multi-point):
Cost of installation inc VAT:
Comments:

Then people could search the sticky thread by model number or county.

Any comments would have to be within the forum rules or the post would be deleted:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/rules.html

Comments?

Thanks,
John
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote