Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Urgent warning: 240 thefts in south-east

Views : 185764

Replies : 74

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 24th, 2018, 14:12   #51
Triple-S
How Old?

I had the same with my Volvo 164 a few years ago - stolen from a Council-rented lock-up nearby, and was told by a nice old lady who had my number and watched it all happen. I got an invaluable (!) crime number from the Police who told me they do nothing about car-theft..... However, we know where old cars go to be banger-raced and asked at the village garage. A truck-driver overheard and told us where he'd seen it behind a high hedge at a former battery-chicken place.
We went down an adjacent footpath and saw it there so told the Police - they didn't want to do anything about it UNTIL I suggested we'd trespass with our van-plus-trailer to retrieve it. They only got off their butts then, to advise me I would be breaking the law..... They entered with us, I showed them the V5 (despite that proclaiming it isn't proof of ownership) and asked the land-owner where he got the car: "£80 from a man at the pub" but they didn't continue with investigations.
So as has been said before, what exactly is breaking the law? When is it OK to handle stolen goods? Also how does one prove one owns a vehicle if not the V5: I bought my car privately many years earlier, before the seller died! Strikes me selective criminology.

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Triple-S For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2018, 14:30   #52
rtbcomp

I bet if it was a brand-new car they'd have a different attitude. They seem to put the seriousness of the crime on monetary value of the items stolen. My £300 Astra which was stolen meant nothing to them, but it put me out of business.
rtbcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rtbcomp For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 23:34   #53
ktz

Another one bites the dust.

My 1989 Volvo 240 Estate (that was not even running, battery disconnected) was stolen today from outside my house on the street.

The driver side lock had been jammed up and the car broken into last week (noticed when I returned from holiday), but nothing had been stolen*–*not even the stereo.

Today I returned home and the car was gone. Police report has been file and I'm trolling through my CCTV footage now. If anyone sees it kicking about –*can you try and convince the filthy thieve to at least give me back my car seat? I kind of need that.
ktz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ktz For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2020, 10:45   #54
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple-S View Post
I had the same with my Volvo 164 a few years ago - stolen from a Council-rented lock-up nearby, and was told by a nice old lady who had my number and watched it all happen. I got an invaluable (!) crime number from the Police who told me they do nothing about car-theft..... However, we know where old cars go to be banger-raced and asked at the village garage. A truck-driver overheard and told us where he'd seen it behind a high hedge at a former battery-chicken place.
We went down an adjacent footpath and saw it there so told the Police - they didn't want to do anything about it UNTIL I suggested we'd trespass with our van-plus-trailer to retrieve it. They only got off their butts then, to advise me I would be breaking the law..... They entered with us, I showed them the V5 (despite that proclaiming it isn't proof of ownership) and asked the land-owner where he got the car: "£80 from a man at the pub" but they didn't continue with investigations.
So as has been said before, what exactly is breaking the law? When is it OK to handle stolen goods? Also how does one prove one owns a vehicle if not the V5: I bought my car privately many years earlier, before the seller died! Strikes me selective criminology.

P
What a bizarre story, good that you managed to recover the car yourself, but very poor by the police.

I'm not sure that police forces (generally) have done themselves many favours: they have been claiming a shortage of resources means they can't investigate theft, but then find sufficient people to harass children for playing in their own gardens during this pandemic. I can't see them doing so well in future spending allocations having lost considerable sympathy from the public.

Best wishes.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2020, 10:48   #55
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbcomp View Post
I bet if it was a brand-new car they'd have a different attitude.
Do you know that to be the case, or is it an unfounded conclusion you have jumped to?

I'm certainly not defending the police for not investigating crimes (I think that is very poor of them), but I suspect their attitude would have been the same regardless of the value of the car.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2020, 15:13   #56
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

The chap who first alerted me to this situation in the first place was given that exact message by the police - too busy investigating "higher value" vehicle crimes (keyless relay thefts of Range Rovers, etc) to chase after old bangers being stolen...!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2020, 18:39   #57
Levonsrealm
240 user and non-abuser

This worries me as a new member of the volvo community and proud new owner of a 240 estate se '92. The south of Manchester (where I am based) is quite notorious for vehicle theft.
Just to ponder, if anyone has suggestions for personal protection and immobilisation of their car ( like disconnected battery/ removed fuel relay) I would love to hear them. shoot me a pm if you wouldn't want your advice publicly seen.
Apologies if this is viewed as thread commandeering, just noticed the thread had been raised from the dead and thought it may be a good time for people to open a dialogue once more on the subject and see if as a community we can share our ideas with one another.
Levonsrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2020, 11:07   #58
novomobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levonsrealm View Post
This worries me as a new member of the volvo community and proud new owner of a 240 estate se '92. The south of Manchester (where I am based) is quite notorious for vehicle theft.
Just to ponder, if anyone has suggestions for personal protection and immobilisation of their car ( like disconnected battery/ removed fuel relay) I would love to hear them. shoot me a pm if you wouldn't want your advice publicly seen.
Apologies if this is viewed as thread commandeering, just noticed the thread had been raised from the dead and thought it may be a good time for people to open a dialogue once more on the subject and see if as a community we can share our ideas with one another.

Call me old fashioned if you like but my thoughts on this is "prevention is better than cure". I still fit my steering wheel stick lock, gearstick to handbrake lock, and clutch pedal to steering wheel steel lock rod, all painted a vivid bright yellow, on my old car. None of them are what you would call high tech, but any of them would be a pain to remove unless your well "tooled up". Hopefully it deters the chancer opportunist in terms of time and hassle to remove the car.....However I don't think professional car thieves would have a problem.....but to me its a little bit more peace of mind.
novomobile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to novomobile For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2020, 14:44   #59
Levonsrealm
240 user and non-abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by novomobile View Post
Call me old fashioned if you like but my thoughts on this is "prevention is better than cure". I still fit my steering wheel stick lock, gearstick to handbrake lock, and clutch pedal to steering wheel steel lock rod, all painted a vivid bright yellow, on my old car. None of them are what you would call high tech, but any of them would be a pain to remove unless your well "tooled up". Hopefully it deters the chancer opportunist in terms of time and hassle to remove the car.....However I don't think professional car thieves would have a problem.....but to me its a little bit more peace of mind.
I agree that preventative measures should be taken. If it is standing for a long time, i can't see any harm in disconnecting the fuel pump relay. That provides me the peace of mind that prevents me from checking on my car at odd times of the night.
Did you purchase a specific Volvo 240 anti theft kit?
I wonder with the amount of play in the gearbox as standard with these cars whether, given enough time, a rather industrious individual might be able to figure out how to get the anti theft device off.
Levonsrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Levonsrealm For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2020, 17:25   #60
Thekilt

the issue is in this modern world is the advancement of power tools. Many vehicle theives (mainly motorbike and Bicycles in london) carry cordless angle grinders. 30 seconds or less and a lock could be gone.
In the capital people just look on while its going on as they dont want to get involved/Injured so they get away with it.

If they want it, they will get it. Its very difficult to deter theives these days.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thekilt For This Useful Post: