Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

CFE not working - pre facelift V70

Views : 404

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 26th, 2020, 18:26   #1
reggit
Premier Member

Default CFE not working - pre facelift V70

Any CAN bus wizards on here?

I’ve got a CFE+ in my car which is wired into an auxiliary OBD port. I’ve picked the high speed CAN from the back of the CEM and low speed from the back of the radio. However something is amiss, it self checks fine when first installed but won’t come back on once the car is locked for a few minutes. If I unplug it and plug it back in, it does the self check again and will read out various parameters on the DIM display, so the unit is working.
I’ve been told it’s likely I’ve got one of the wires hooked up wrong, however it’s a complete faff to get to the connections.

All I’ve been able to check is the permanent 12v which is good.

Anyone know if it’s possible to check the CAN signals at the auxiliary OBD2 socket? I might be able to get hold of an oscilloscope if needed.

Is there anywhere easier I can find both high and low speed CAN signals, perhaps in the boot, may make installation and fault finding easier.

I know this is a long shot!
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 18:44   #2
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Hello reggit.

I've got the standard CFE and it's connected using the AEM wiring at the back of the vehicle.

I don't have the AEM fitted so the wiring wasn't there but once I got the cable it was a simple plug and play.

I found Volvotech (or whatever they are called now) very helpful when setting up the CFE, email support was really good when I needed it.
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 20:06   #3
reggit
Premier Member

Which module is the AEM?

It was volvotech that suggested I’d got it connected incorrectly, but that’s all the help they gave.

Just been digging around on v-division website and I’m guessing my issue is on the high speed CAN lines. Damn, looks like the CEM needs to come out again.

Last edited by reggit; Jan 26th, 2020 at 20:50.
reggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 21:11   #4
davebb
Premier Member

Hi I connected mine in the rear left side in the boot under the side panel in my 2002 s60,
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 07:06   #5
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggit View Post
Which module is the AEM?
AEM is the Auxiliary Electronic Module, it's used amongst other things to connect an auxiliary fuel powered heater.

Here's a link to the CFE install manual, clicky.

Not sure if the CFE and CFE+ are the same but it gives information on where the AEM cable could be and which models might already have one. As I said before, it can be retro fitted.
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 07:33   #6
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

I've just had a read on V-Division's website and it looks like the CFE connection method won't work for you, your CFE+ needs high speed CAN which the CFE doesn't.

I'm guessing that this is for the extra functions of the CFE+ like monitoring engine ECU, whether you want these functions or if it would work without I'm not sure.

I can't find any links to the installation manual, but does the CFE+ not connect directly via the OBD (diagnostic) connector?
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 07:44   #7
reggit
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Lincs View Post

I can't find any links to the installation manual, but does the CFE+ not connect directly via the OBD (diagnostic) connector?
That would be too easy! Unfortunately on the pre-facelift cars it needs hard wiring in. On facelifts it works from the OBD connector.

I found last night that the original CFE only has low speed CAN, and I can get the information display working that’s why I’m guessing I’ve got a problem on the high speed line, which is soldered to the wiring from the CEM.

Thanks for looking. Looks like I’ll be waiting for a dry weekend to pull the dashboard apart.
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 13:54   #8
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

That sounds about right. I guess we're lucky that pre-facelift is still supported.

I presume you're looking on the back of the instrument cluster for the signals you need? It's a while since I played around with CAN-Bus interfaces but I seem to remember the instrument cluster is a node for both CAN signals.