Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help! First breakdown in 15 years

Views : 3576

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 21:19   #11
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
My own fault as I fitted a new timing belt last February. At that time I did reuse the old pulley securing bolt, but I did loctite the threads and torqued it to specs, but somehow it loosened.
Chris
Did you clean the threads completely of the bolt and also the one in the crank nose Chris?

If not, even with new Threadlock, you could easily get an incorrect torque response from your torque wrench and easily think you've torqued it correctly when you haven't.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 20:26   #12
chris s

I finally got around to stripping it down today, and all pulleys are tight and in situ.
(The RAC man who brought me home half removed the timing cover and reckoned that the lower pulley had shifted. It hasn't). The belt tensioner however was spinning but was seized against the block. I reckoned I must have overtightened it with the 40 year old torque wrench my Dad let me borrow. Then I suppose as the belt stretched it began to lose tension.
A cambelt and tensioner will be with me tomorrow (and I've ordered a new torque wrench as well!).
Cheers,
Chris
chris s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chris s For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 00:16   #13
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Glad you’ve found the fault- hard to tell if you’re aware from the way you’ve described it but the tensioner doesn’t adjust automatically, it only takes up tension when the securing nut holding it is released. The nut should be released periodically to allow the spring to take up any slack, then the nut done up again. There’s a rubber bung in the cam front cover to access the nut for this purpose.

Obviously not whilst the engine is running!

There are prescribed intervals for this release and retighten after a new belt is fitted as a new belt will stretch a bit, someone will know them- but if you haven’t done this since you fitted your new cambelt I’d guess this will be the source of your trouble.

Cheers

Oh and I know the dangers of old torque wrenches- I snapped a head bolt off in the block once as the torque wrench was reading far lower than its actual torque...
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 08:27   #14
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I'm confused.
You said you found that the bolt holding the lower pulley had come loose so the pulley had loosened and the belt had come off?
Now you say the AA man also said that, but you say it hadn't.
Now you say the bolt holding the adjuster pulley had been overtightened. I don't understand that - you say it was spinning but seized against the block.

Tightening that bolt doesn't tighten the pulley against the block, it merely needlessly holds it more firmly in its current position. I don't understand these contradictions.
If you had overtightened the adjuster pulley bolt then nothing would have happened unless you had broken it - but you would have known that?

I think we need clarification on exactly what has come loose through undertightening, what has broken through overtightening, and what is seized.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 09:25   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
I finally got around to stripping it down today, and all pulleys are tight and in situ.
(The RAC man who brought me home half removed the timing cover and reckoned that the lower pulley had shifted. It hasn't). The belt tensioner however was spinning but was seized against the block. I reckoned I must have overtightened it with the 40 year old torque wrench my Dad let me borrow. Then I suppose as the belt stretched it began to lose tension.
A cambelt and tensioner will be with me tomorrow (and I've ordered a new torque wrench as well!).
Cheers,
Chris
If you didn't re-tension the timing belt after 600 miles, for most of its service life it will have been loose causing varying strange things like sudden periods of low performance, particularly when called on to work harder.

That will almost certainly be why it's got more and more loose until the teeth were eventually stripped.
How long has the belt been on there? (Mileage and years)

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 12:05   #16
chris s

Sorry for the confusion, Clifford Pope. I'll try to make this clearer.
When the car broke down and wouldn't start the RAC man partly opened the timing cover, found the slack belt and said "there's your problem, the lower pulley has come off". I took a glance and took his word for it, as although I've done all the servicing and MOT work on the car in the last 15 years (except for a clutch change), I'm obviously not going to have the knowledge of a professional who had mentioned he'd been working on 240s since the 80s.
As I mentioned the pulleys were all tight when I stripped it and looking for a reason for the belt coming off when I found the tensioner bolt was very tight I (wrongly) assumed I'd overtightened it, assuming that it would tension itself, not realising that I was meant to retension the belt after a certain mileage. So I'm obviously far from being an expert unlike most users on here but I'm keen to learn, and through this group you're never short of helpful owners willing to give advice, that's the beauty of this forum.
Thanks,
Chris
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chris s For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 12:09   #17
chris s

Laird and Bugjam , thanks for your helpful replies.

You can probably tell from my previous post that I didn't retension the belt after I fitted a new one last time. I don't think that will be something I'll ever forget to do again!
Cheers,
Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to chris s For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 12:41   #18
mrredwards

Default First break down

Hi I have a 240 Torslanda with a B200f engine.I had a cambelt go and it destroyed all 8 valves.I had to buy a good second hand one on Ebay luckily it came with all the valves.Just swapped the head over.Good luck .Regards Ron.
mrredwards is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrredwards For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 13:19   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrredwards View Post
Hi I have a 240 Torslanda with a B200f engine.I had a cambelt go and it destroyed all 8 valves.I had to buy a good second hand one on Ebay luckily it came with all the valves.Just swapped the head over.Good luck .Regards Ron.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post
Torslanda..... seems to be a B200F or B230F with LH2.4

and most of B2x0 are non interference, H and K are.....

good luck, Kay
I reckon you must have been either seriously unlucky with yours or it had previously had a replacement engine and wasn't in fact a B200F as you thought.

As Kay says, the vast majority of B2x0 engines are non-interference, the 16v versions are so you will bend valves but highly unlikely all 16 would be bent and even more unlikely that all 8 valves were bent in yours unless there is something seriously wrong somewhere.

Old Jan 25th, 2020, 15:26   #20
mrredwards

Default First break down

Hi Thanks for your reply its got me thinking.I have owned the car for 15 years its an original car but without checking the serial numbers on the car i dont know about if the engine as been changed?I will check it .But when i changed the original head it was very corroded beyond repair.When you say that the vast majority are none interference what do you mean?? When this happened i thought that my head was none interference but i was wrong.Regards Ron
mrredwards is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrredwards For This Useful Post: