Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 593796

Replies : 2689

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 3rd, 2023, 20:49   #2681
Paww

Quote:
Originally Posted by j001 View Post
If that Mr Muscle is touching aluminium parts that's probably bad news for your car. The stuff is packed with caustic soda, which literally disolves aluminium in a chemical reaction. Might look cleaned but surface will be compromised. Do a test with Mr Muscle and aluminium foil if you need convincing.
Despite a day using Mr Muscle neither the carbon or the aluminium has dissolved in fact my three day assault on the cooler section has done nothing: the EGR code was back in just a few miles.
Fortunately that gap allowed it to pass through the MOT as the fault light has to be on throughout the testing to be a fail.
It doesn’t affect the car but it does irritate that I can’t fix it other than buying a new item at probably 20% of the value of the car.
Paww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2023, 01:30   #2682
Rob3583

I have been reading up on a chemical called DMSO, have 500ml arriving in a day or 2. It dissolves organic compounds like nothing else, use very carefully and observe all precautions before opening. Goggles and gloves are a must and rinse any skin contact immediately. Will ruin paint and certain plastics.

Videos online show glazed pistons and rings spotlessly clean after a soak in pure DMSO.

Relatively cheap, 500ml around £20. I will be performing an engine flush with a 5% solution in 10/40w oil followed by 2 more flushes just oil, using the method mentioned here.
https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/...reply_top_post

Volvo forum in Poland have reported excellent results on the VEA engine, drastically reducing oil consumption.

Will post update after flush.
Rob3583 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rob3583 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2023, 23:59   #2683
lennymacd

Default is the XC60 2.4d D4 also prone to the EGR fault ?

Hi,

I live in Sweden and looking at buying a 2011 to 2015 XC60 2.4d D4 under 200,000 km

Is the 2.4 diesel D4 also prone to this EGR fault ?

Sounds like a real headache for those who have had this issue

Sadly had to scrap my 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.2Di as the engine had issues for a second time, known issue that Mitsubsihi refuse to acknowledge , and lost over 8k on the car

Any advice appreciated.

Best regards,
Dave
lennymacd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2023, 09:59   #2684
V70Gavin

Default P04D9 - Car in with Volvo Today....

I have been following this thread with interest since my 65 reg XC70 D4 had EGR issues in June 2020 at 69k miles just 3 months after I bought it. Taking advice from the forum I managed to get 50% goodwill from Volvo Head Office for a replacement EGR (cooler not changed). It has had a full Volvo service history so software is up to date.

Engine check light has come on (now at 128k miles) and it is the dreaded P04D9 low flow detected code. Cleared it twice, came back very quickly.

Car now at Cambridge Volvo (Petersfield) for them to take the code reading and put the report into their service system.

I have no doubt that I will have to battle with Head Office again and don't feel inclined to accept 50% this time. What advice does anyone have as to how to argue for 100%?

Yours hopefully, Gavin
Old Dec 8th, 2023, 18:07   #2685
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennymacd View Post
Is the 2.4 diesel D4 also prone to this EGR fault ?
Not at all, but it does have a Bosch CP4 high pressure diesel pump, which you might want to look into. Not a big issue per se - you just need to be a bit careful, change the fuel filter on time, and not do anything stupid.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 13:37   #2686
V70Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70Gavin View Post
I have been following this thread with interest since my 65 reg XC70 D4 had EGR issues in June 2020 at 69k miles just 3 months after I bought it. Taking advice from the forum I managed to get 50% goodwill from Volvo Head Office for a replacement EGR (cooler not changed). It has had a full Volvo service history so software is up to date.

Engine check light has come on (now at 128k miles) and it is the dreaded P04D9 low flow detected code. Cleared it twice, came back very quickly.

Car now at Cambridge Volvo (Petersfield) for them to take the code reading and put the report into their service system.

I have no doubt that I will have to battle with Head Office again and don't feel inclined to accept 50% this time. What advice does anyone have as to how to argue for 100%?

Yours hopefully, Gavin

I have just had the answer back from the Volvo Garage.....a mighty 10% on what will probably amount to £900 of work (remove, replace cooler).

I have raised a complaint with Volvo but still very keen to hear any advice you may have on how to word the complaint.

Many thanks, Gavin
Old Dec 21st, 2023, 23:00   #2687
paulmaguire99

Default EGR valve fault light on XC60 D4

Will Volvo pay to resolve this issue still today?
paulmaguire99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 23:28   #2688
Mascher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob3583 View Post
I have been reading up on a chemical called DMSO, have 500ml arriving in a day or 2. It dissolves organic compounds like nothing else, use very carefully and observe all precautions before opening. Goggles and gloves are a must and rinse any skin contact immediately. Will ruin paint and certain plastics.

Videos online show glazed pistons and rings spotlessly clean after a soak in pure DMSO.

Relatively cheap, 500ml around £20. I will be performing an engine flush with a 5% solution in 10/40w oil followed by 2 more flushes just oil, using the method mentioned here.
https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/...reply_top_post

Volvo forum in Poland have reported excellent results on the VEA engine, drastically reducing oil consumption.

Will post update after flush.
Rob, could you give an update on your oil consumption now?
Mascher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2024, 16:51   #2689
Rob3583

Oil consumption has more than halved, the DMSO may have affected the inlet manifold gasket as now I have a weep which causes some smoke during dpf regen. I am considering step 2 of the DMSO treatment which is to remove the inlet manifold remove injectors and pour pure DMSO into cylinders then use drill and type of bottle brush to scrub piston heads and hand crank the engine to reach piston rings with pure DMSO. This will have to be in the summer when temperatures are above 20 Celsius as DMSO freezes around 18 C. After which I'll fit a new inlet manifold. I've already mapped out the egr so hopefully the piston rings will remain clear of blockages.
Rob3583 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob3583 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 13th, 2024, 22:35   #2690
Mascher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob3583 View Post
Oil consumption has more than halved, the DMSO may have affected the inlet manifold gasket as now I have a weep which causes some smoke during dpf regen. I am considering step 2 of the DMSO treatment which is to remove the inlet manifold remove injectors and pour pure DMSO into cylinders then use drill and type of bottle brush to scrub piston heads and hand crank the engine to reach piston rings with pure DMSO. This will have to be in the summer when temperatures are above 20 Celsius as DMSO freezes around 18 C. After which I'll fit a new inlet manifold. I've already mapped out the egr so hopefully the piston rings will remain clear of blockages.
That's interesting. Have you considered using Berryman B12 for the piston soak? It seems like it would be less harsh and people are reporting great results with the petrol engines. You could do it now too.

I have the berrymans but not sure if I have the mechanical skills to take the injectors in and out.

Any issues since you had the EGR mapped out? I'm planning on doing that too
Mascher is offline   Reply With Quote