Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Leaky Rear Door Seals

Views : 2678

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 28th, 2015, 20:40   #1
Billyn

Default XC60 Leaky Rear Door Seals

Has anyone had a problem with water coming in the rear door seals. When my car is parked and it rains my rear doors appear to let a lot of water in. The foam / rubberised seal around the door is soaked through ! I brought this to the attention of the dealership at the 3 months review of this new vehicle only to be told this is normal. Given the fact that all my past Sara have never let water in via this area , I do feel that I'm getting fobbed off - hence trying To find out if other owners have had a similar problem ?
Billyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billyn For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2015, 20:49   #2
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyn View Post
Has anyone had a problem with water coming in the rear door seals. When my car is parked and it rains my rear doors appear to let a lot of water in. The foam / rubberised seal around the door is soaked through ! I brought this to the attention of the dealership at the 3 months review of this new vehicle only to be told this is normal. Given the fact that all my past Sara have never let water in via this area , I do feel that I'm getting fobbed off - hence trying To find out if other owners have had a similar problem ?
Not a problem with mine, and it is parked up outside at 1400ft in the North Pennines, with all the wind and rain you could wish for !
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 06:56   #3
id5
Premier Member

Not a problem with mine either. No water inside and the rubber just feels as if the surface of it is wet.
id5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2015, 21:15   #4
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
To quote the obvious, you are being fobbed off 100%.
Does the door close with a solid clunk, Expect the door seal is just not making a tight seal contact which can be adjusted pretty simply with a few turns.
Old Nov 1st, 2015, 09:21   #5
Brodick
Master Member

When you say water inside I take it you do not mean in the actual cabin? Or do you?

I have had three modern day volvos now and all of them have allows a small amount of water to reach the metal door sills. Nothing more than that. Never caused an issue. Yes it could be a little annoying but I just give these areas a quick clean each time I wash my car. Hence it is like it just came out the factory
Brodick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 17:35   #6
S40AMD

Default XC60 Leaky Doors

I think I have a similar issue! My rear seat passengers are frequently dripped on due to significant amounts of water bypassing the 'seals'. It's difficult to describe, but whilst the car is sitting unopened it seems to remain dry, however once the doors are opened and closed there is a lot of water entering the car - I know that sounds obvious if it was raining, but this isn't always the case. Passengers have complained that they are getting quite wet when they open the doors and water is running down the inside of the door and the seals are saturated. I have tried to show on the pictures included.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20170330_08_44_27_Pro.jpg (183.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20170330_08_44_33_Pro.jpg (160.6 KB, 37 views)
S40AMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 05:12   #7
MyXC602020

Default XC60 2020 Leaky Door Seals

When going through a car wash, soap and water enters through the seals and door jams. When it rains, mud, dirt and road debris enter the same areas, especially the bottom seal. I've had it checked at 2 different Volvo dealers who say the seals are working the way they are designed. The doors were changed for 2020 removing the runner on the bottom for entry comfort. "bad design?" I don't like driving in the rain, as it takes an hour just to get the seals and door jams cleaned. Thank goodness it does not come into the car. Just the same, who wants road dirt in the car doors? I love the car, and hate the mess.

Anyone else experience this and maybe found a fix? Any help would be appreciated.
MyXC602020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 05:24   #8
MyXC602020

Default XC60 2020 Leaky Door Seals

When going through a car wash, soap and water enters through the seals and door jams. When it rains, mud, dirt and road debris enter the same areas, especially the bottom seal. I've had it checked at 2 different Volvo dealers who say the seals are working the way they are designed. The doors were changed for 2020 removing the runner on the bottom for entry comfort. "bad design?" I don't like driving in the rain, as it takes an hour just to get the seals and door jams cleaned. Thank goodness it does not come into the car. Just the same, who wants road dirt in the car doors? I love the car, and hate the mess.

Anyone else experience this and maybe found a fix? Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1159sm.jpg (260.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0974sm.jpg (303.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1117snm.jpg (245.5 KB, 28 views)
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 07:53   #9
MyXC602020

Quote:
Yes. Please read my post #8.
The Following User Says Thank You to MyXC602020 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 09:46   #10
id5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyXC602020 View Post
... I've had it checked at 2 different Volvo dealers who say the seals are working the way they are designed
The dealers are right and the door seals are working correctly, anything below the outer door seal gets wet and mucky and I agree it is bad design compared to some other cars with a similar door/arch design. They have been fixes on other forums but they are all handmade, involving sticking cut up bits of a new door seal at the bottom of the door and arch creating a third door seal but get it wrong and it becomes a right mess. It is one of the few bad bits of an XC60 you may just have to live with.
id5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to id5 For This Useful Post:

Tags
doorseals, leaky, xc60