Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is it worth fixing?

Views : 2671

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 28th, 2021, 17:06   #21
ltec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
Sadly even the brands with SKF or Timken bearings are not in the same league for longevity. No aftermarket item has proven comparable to the OE water pump.

And we all know the problems that supposedly quality belts can cause on the D5...

Volvo parts also have a lifetime warranty if fitted at a dealer - now that may not be cheap, but in the long run it's liable to be money very well spent indeed.
Sadly that's all old wives tails.
Show me some examples were an skf waterpump has failed on a xc90.
No I don't know the problems of quality belts on any cars. As I said I've fitted nothing else all my career and never seen a fail ever.
Its all nonsense. Show me examples of proof on here.

Last edited by ltec; Nov 28th, 2021 at 17:08.
ltec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 17:12   #22
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltec View Post
Is this the same manufacturer that says the transmission oil doesn't need changed?
Really? Volvo are liable. If after a timing belt change the pump goes 9 years later then volvo would stand over it.
Your having a laugh.
Doesn't make sense to change every bearing but leave 1.
The waterpumps are recycled as they worth money they are not filling up land fills and its not wasting customers money. If you want to save money stay away from the main stealer. And stop paying stupid prices for genuine parts coz it comes in volvo box. An skf pump and timing belt kit comes to ,£100. And your looking to save £30 on a waterpump but your willing to pay stupid prices for the same brands coz it says volvo on it. Gates, skf, INA etc make the parts for the dealers, then the dealers double the price.

No it's not ! Volvo have never said or documented that , it's an internet myth which has been going around a long time now . Volvo do have provisions for changing the oil , the people who service volvos are supposed to explain that to the customer , it benefits the garage and the customer .

volvo do not buy parts off the shelf either , each one is made to volvo's specifications and are usually the top grade .

Dealers sell at Volvo uk recommended retail prices not their own ... you might be lucky and get a discount if you ask 👍
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 17:15   #23
ltec

They make up the prices as they go along. The Northern volvo dealer said he couldn't buy the parts for the price the mainland was selling them for.
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 17:17   #24
ltec

Another point when your their clan. You said the rear brake adjusters are not volvo approved. Why then is volvo recommending them and pushing the sale on them.
Old Nov 29th, 2021, 17:14   #25
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
No it's not ! Volvo have never said or documented that, it's an internet myth which has been going around a long time now . Volvo do have provisions for changing the oil , the people who service volvos are supposed to explain that to the customer , it benefits the garage and the customer .

volvo do not buy parts off the shelf either , each one is made to volvo's specifications and are usually the top grade .

Dealers sell at Volvo uk recommended retail prices not their own ... you might be lucky and get a discount if you ask 👍
No, they haven’t. That’s the problem… they’ve only mentioned transmission fluid changes briefly.

No where in my owner’s manual does it specify that the transmission fluid needs changing. It only says it needs to be changed if you tow or use the vehicle in arduous conditions. So what do you do if you don’t tow? The manual doesn’t mention it, so people don’t bother doing it. No dealership has ever mentioned a transmission fluid change to me either.

I understand that there’s an element of common sense here, that being all fluids need to be changed. However, transmission servicing isn’t part of Volvo’s regular service plan (for cars that are used “normally”). This is why it get neglected.
Old Jan 1st, 2022, 20:22   #26
wbv

Thanks for all the replies.

I took the car to a local independent garage who put it through a new MOT that naturally failed, suggesting a very dodgy MOT (to be reported to DVSA).

Needed a new coolant tube (not new steering system), and there was an advisory on the edge of failure that was new shocks on front so got that done.

Dealer can pay voluntarily (have spoken to them, waiting a written response; they've tried the usual tactics to deny initially/pass it on to warranty), or will go to small claims court so I'm not out of pocket for their miss-selling (done this before and won).

Won't be buying a used vehicle without an inspection first, and certainly won't be trusting an MOT again.
wbv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2022, 22:05   #27
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Quote:
Sadly that's all old wives tails.
Show me some examples were an skf waterpump has failed on a xc90.
No I don't know the problems of quality belts on any cars. As I said I've fitted nothing else all my career and never seen a fail ever.
Its all nonsense. Show me examples of proof on here.
Ive never broken my leg - that doesnt mean that other people have not done so.

Im not suggesting SKF bearings in XC90 water pumps are any problem. However, I am suggesting that the likes of SKF products in general are not what they were, and that the SKF branding is not the automatic, take-it-for-granted indicator of quality that it was until the early 80s.

When I was working (40 years building race engines for a living, 2 decades building and developing F1 engines and PUs) we had to be very careful that any SKF bearings were not manufactured by their Indian subsidiary as they were never as diligent with dimensional accuracy or composition of materials as the European products. A quality micrometer is all you need to see the truth of that for yourself.

When you have had as much experience as I have building higher performance motors than I have then I'll let you lecture me on what may or may not be "nonsense". Unless you have over 4 decades practice building, say, top fuel drag engines then that seems extremely unlikely.

Don't judge the modern product by the reputation it last truly deserved 40 years ago.

Last edited by Familyman 90; Jan 1st, 2022 at 22:08.
Familyman 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2022, 22:07   #28
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
I dont care what manufacturer it is. When I get paid a few hours labour to stand over a job, that would cost thousands if it goes wrong, ill be changing the pump or I wouldn't take on the job.
Of course you do, well done. People on here seem to have lore of ‘it’s fine at change’.

Yes it is, but with 108k service intervals it is changed at 108k and then left on its own to 216k.

If it fails thousands of pounds worth of damage.

Good to hear you change them, when I did it I think I paid an extra 60 or 70 quid for genuine Volvo pump!
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote