Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Distributor help in Scotland

Views : 2115

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 28th, 2019, 03:44   #11
c1800
Master Member

Well Dave, yes harsh here, cold and dry like a desert. Uk, damp, cool, I really don’t know, but if you know better, that’s ok. Oh, well, just trying to help.....
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c1800 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 28th, 2019, 11:52   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1800 View Post
Well Dave, yes harsh here, cold and dry like a desert. Uk, damp, cool, I really don’t know, but if you know better, that’s ok. Oh, well, just trying to help.....
Very helpful it would have been as well if our environment had been similar to Canada. I have used a similar product to the one you describe, allegedly for that sort of environment and also allegedly waterproof - it may even have been the same product.

For the use it was put to (harsh marine environment) it was no good at all and not really waterproof.

For battery terminals and their connectors, they need to be clean, dry and grease-free. Once connected and tightened, then some dielectric or silicone grease over them to protect them.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 29th, 2019, 21:59   #13
TonyS9
Premier Member

If its a thermal related problem getting worse it could also be the ignition amplifier.

The Hall sensor will either work or not, its an input to the computer. The computer outputs to the amp which drives the coil.

The difference will be fuel. If there is no hall signal, there will be no fuel. If there is no amplifier output (only) then there will be fuel, but no spark.

Spark checker lights are a good simple tool, and ideally a light connected to the fuel pump.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 09:49   #14
Ben W

Right guys,

Sorry for the lack of progress, haven't had much time for the Volvo lately but got back on it this morning in earnest (or aa earnest as I can manage with my limited skills!)

The car will run barely , turns over very slow but will fire reluctantly and run with a fully charged battery, and instantly with a jump.

Tried the jump leads to starter, but theres not a noticable difference, maybe slightly better with the ground lead? Still turns over slowly though...

Was thinking about buying a battery today and seeing if that sorts it, as you still get a wee smell at battery but clears once running.

As above, I can usually smell fuel after repeated cranking, but I dont get lights on the tester on the spark plug leads..

Thanks very much lads,

Ben
Ben W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 10:03   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

On a hunch based on experience, i'm going to suggest renewing/replacing the starter motor, it sounds very much like the symptoms of a duff starter.

With your limited skills it's going to be difficult to not only describe further tests to make completely sure but for you to do them i would think.

Given the battery is smelling during cranking, that points to the starter pulling way too much current, this also means it can hog all available current so there's nothing left for the ignition system. Seen it many times.

This theory is borne out by the fact the car starts with a slave battery and the battery pong dissipates when the car is running.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 10:10   #16
nutco
Getting on a bit

but I dont get lights on the tester on the spark plug leads.

if your getting no spark, then its either the dizzy cap dirty/broken, coil or the amplifier, regards the engine turning over slowly even with jump leads on makes me think that you have a lazy starter motor, had mine fettled by a auto electrician and spun over great after that,
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 10:15   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutco View Post
but I dont get lights on the tester on the spark plug leads.

if your getting no spark, then its either the dizzy cap dirty/broken, coil or the amplifier, regards the engine turning over slowly even with jump leads on makes me think that you have a lazy starter motor, had mine fettled by a auto electrician and spun over great after that,
We know his leads etc are ok as it starts with a slave battery but the starter struggles to turn over on just the normal battery alone.

Like i said in my post, everything points to a duff starter. There are tests that could be done but the OP has freely admitted his skills are limited so it's a case of bypassing those tests and making an educated/experienced guess and suggesting the starter.

Old Dec 30th, 2019, 10:28   #18
Ben W

The starter cranked really fast to begin with before it got worse though, it always spins up okay

But just had the battery caps off, two cells are a bit dry looking and it had sweated acid down from one of the dryer cells, could that be the issue?

Otherwise once I've done that, time to start looking into starters?
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben W For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 11:13   #19
Ben W

Lads,my apologies

Just short-tested the battery at my work with what we use on tractors... drivers side cell is as deid as a doornail

So, a new battery is what I need?
Sheepish isn't the word right now, had to cancel my starter motor order .. !
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben W For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 13:23   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Make sure your battery is fully charged and has enough electrolyte in before trying though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben W View Post
The starter cranked really fast to begin with before it got worse though, it always spins up okay

But just had the battery caps off, two cells are a bit dry looking and it had sweated acid down from one of the dryer cells, could that be the issue?

Otherwise once I've done that, time to start looking into starters?
I did mention checking the electrolyte in the battery much earlier, same post but before the trick with the jump leads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben W View Post
Lads,my apologies

Just short-tested the battery at my work with what we use on tractors... drivers side cell is as deid as a doornail

So, a new battery is what I need?
Sheepish isn't the word right now, had to cancel my starter motor order .. !
You need to find out why those two cells have gone dry. Have they gone dry because those two cells failed before the others (faulty battery)? Or did they go dry because the starter is pulling too much current (faulty starter)?
Or, least likely, have they gone dry because the alternator was overcharging?

I'd reinstate your starter order and get a new battery but a lead-acid one, NOT calcium technology version.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HB096-Lea...v/192434766703

One like that will do the job nicely.

Tags
740, b200e, bosch, distributor, hall sensor