Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General > 140/164 Series Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 144 - towbar

Views : 1644

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2013, 06:27   #1
fredwinter
VOC Member

Default Volvo 144 - towbar

I am looking for a tow bar for my 144 so we can put the rally 144 on a trailer to and from events.
fredwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 09:01   #2
Audrey Old
VOC Member

Are you implying that you want to tow a trailer loaded with a 144, with your other 144?
Be warned, the regs have changed over the years: I was stopped by the Police when doing exactly that. Apparently the "train weight" exceeded either general regs or the plated capabilities of my tow-car, however I was let off because the officer has one of those 4 x 4 Volvo ex-military off-roaders which also has the B20 engine!

Paul
Audrey Old is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Audrey Old For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 09:24   #3
fredwinter
VOC Member

Default 144 Towbar

For Brock5
It seems even after all this time I still don't have enough posts to even reply to your PM. Rules must have changed I used to be able to reply. I am interested the bar is not needed until Oct.
fredwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 23:24   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The 140 is not plated, provided the towbar is not plated then ther is not a problem as far as VOSA are concerned. Provided you don't go ott with what you tow you should be fine.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 19:28   #5
Volvo_133
VOC member

My 1970 133 owners hand book gives a maximum towing weight. Its genuine Volvo towbar also states 1000Kg maximum. Even though your towing set up "looks ok", if you are unfortunately involved in an accident, checks will be made,your insurance may not pay out.
Your towed trailer, plus a car of equal weight to the towing car sat on it, will be too heavy in my opinion.
I have towed caravans which have been known to be too heavy, the amazon copes power wise and feels fine when the brakes are applied. Legally be careful!!!
Volvo_133 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvo_133 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 22:58   #6
Volvorama
Too many cats

Default Those were the days...

I used to tow 140s on trailers with another 140 but I wouldn't try it anymore and would borrow a 4x4.
Did it the other way round once and rescued a non-running Land Rover by towing it with a 164E. Landy guy said it was quickest it had ever been. Afterwards worked out power-to-weight ratios and Rover plus Volvo with only the Volvo engine was better than the Landy on its own.