Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The Joys of a Brake Job

Views : 75

Replies : 0

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Yesterday, 14:14   #1
BlameMe

Default The Joys of a Brake Job

As the title said

I got all the parts for a brake job, front and rear pads and discs and all the little bits that go with it to do a full 4 corner brake job on my V60 when I got back from my holiday.

Now back and started the job on the front and while the calipers and discs were a bit corroded the fronts when to plan and jobs done in and afternoon.

The rears however have turned into a little bit of a saga.

I could see they were a little dodge through the wheel, very corroded, pads down to the bone and discs shot. Discs came off with no bother. Someone had been in before me and slightly rounded off the caliper bolts on both sides, though I got them off with a little heat and taking it slowly. Pads on one side fell to bits when removed, the other side were not as bad.

Inspected the piston in the calipers and both looked ok to start, but one had a little split and the other piston had a little weep. Tried the battery method to wind back one of the pistons with the split and its won't move back, it actually wobbles, also took the motor off and tried the manual wind back and again this is not budging. So with that and the condition of the calipers the best course of action is to change both calipers.

Got the part numbers and tried to sort a pair, left rear not a problem, right rear, nope. Want calipers without the handbrake motors? Its more expensive than ones with (I don't understand that either) and by a tidy sum.

I think it will be sometime next week before its all done, and a new MOT a week later hopefully.

The upside to this saga, the extras I have to do are still well within the Volvo quote I got for a 4 corner brake job and I got some new tools past the wife as its an important safety job and who doesn't like new tools
BlameMe is offline   Reply With Quote