Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Project Thread - 1966 Amazon 121

Views : 18290

Replies : 113

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 8th, 2013, 22:38   #41
random_noise
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222s View Post
If your existing floor hasn't been butchered, there should be a seam visible running across the car, just before the floor starts to curve up into the bulkhead. The new front floor sections fit up to that seam.

Should you also want a rear floor pan, the more expensive type from Brookhouse (along with the front floorpans that they also supply) are very nice, and fit extremely well.
Thanks, will check for the seam tomorrow. I dont think the rear will need a full panel replacement (although I'll hold off until I've seen the underside).

Dave
random_noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 12:02   #42
222s
Amazoniste

Regarding the rear pan, I guess it depends on how thin the metal has become in other areas. Mine had only a few holes, but was so thin & easy to perforate with a screw driver that it ended up being better to fit complete new pans. My bodywork guru (ex R-R MPW) who did the work was extremely impressed with the quality and fit of both the front and rear floor pan panels.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 17:35   #43
random_noise
VOC Member

Seems (ho ho) that the worst of the rust is further forward than the seam

Spent the afternoon scraping layer after layer of underseal off the inner wing. It might be great at protecting the car, but I was cursing whoever invented it today! 4 hours later & I've only got this far:

Hole from the inside (now that I've removed a bunch of filler)

Looking forward to getting my hands on the new engine (many thanks to Antz) so that I can distract myself with that in between scraping sessions.

Dave
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to random_noise For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 21:22   #44
random_noise
VOC Member

Last night with a bit of help from Nick & Mitch I got the windscreen out. The good news is its not too bad in behind- some of the paint was a bit flaky, but no rust to be found! Took a while to get the chrome off & it didn't come off perfectly, but hopefully should be able to bend it back in to shape no problem.

Tonight we had a look at the full extent of the rust at the top of the wing. The shotgun was very bad & had been covered with an extra strip of metal to hide the rot. We pulled it off & chipped out more filler.

There was a big hole which must be where some dirt built up behind where the wing meets the A frame.

Only 1 solution- chop out the lot!

The plan is to form 3 separate panels which will be welded back in to fix the A-frame. I've ordered a new shotgun + cowl which will then go in afterwards.

Dave
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to random_noise For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 22:43   #45
V70 Geoff
A Volvo is essential

Cool Glad it's not just me who is mad enough to do this

Picture 287.jpg

Picture 1768.jpg

I hope I have just attached one of many before and after pictures of my 1966 Project Amazoom!
V70 Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to V70 Geoff For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 22:51   #46
V70 Geoff
A Volvo is essential

Angry More Amazon rusty bits

I quite enjoyed sharing my rust with others so here are two more from when I started it in August. I thought it would only take a couple of weeks until I discovered the trader who did it up for sale has shares in Isopon. It will be very good and very strong once finished.

Picture 280.jpg

Picture 283.jpg
V70 Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to V70 Geoff For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 06:18   #47
john h
VOC Member

Looks better already!

I'm sure Nick likes scraping underseal

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john h For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 21:28   #48
random_noise
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70 Geoff View Post
I quite enjoyed sharing my rust with others so here are two more from when I started it in August. I thought it would only take a couple of weeks until I discovered the trader who did it up for sale has shares in Isopon. It will be very good and very strong once finished.
There's nothing better than seeing the nasty brown & orange replaced with some nice shiny steel.

Dave
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 21:36   #49
random_noise
VOC Member

Looking better already.. tonight Mitch was busy cutting some steel, bending & welding while Nick & I chipped off some underseal from his wagon.

Nice new panels welded in to fix the A pillar.

Not the best picture, but once Mitch was finished I smoothed it off a bit with the grinder.

Dave
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to random_noise For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2013, 20:06   #50
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

hi ya

coming along nicely and i can relate to this a lot that feeling when you cut out the rot is awsome and as already has been said once that shinny metal starts going back in its very reasuring with an element of yeah its getting stronger woot hehe

robert

keep the updates coming

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 123GT-AMAZON For This Useful Post: