Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Was thinking buying an XC90

Views : 1380

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 21st, 2024, 21:09   #1
ian ferguson
ian ferguson

Default Was thinking buying an XC90

Having had three of the older XC90s and currently a 3.2, wanted to upgrade to the new shape, but after reading on here about the T8, I'm not sure if i want to buy one and wait for something to happen. i can't believe with the problems they had in the past XC90 T6 gearboxes, they would let this happen again. They would have known quite early on that parts were failing, yet they were/are still selling these cars.

Are any of the new shape cars worth buying.
Ian
ian ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 21:20   #2
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Have a read of the engine failures and other costly bills, these new or not so newer models now are nice looking cars but the hellish repair costs and lack of goodwill is keeping me holding onto our older models for the time being.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 22:01   #3
Murph7355

If you looked up every car model ever made and worried about what the internet said about them, you'd be walking everywhere.

Do they have issues? Some do.

Does any car (including the mk1)? Yes.

We have a D5 2016 mk2. It's just done 120k miles. It still works well. It's barely cost anything other than routine servicing (and an aux battery). Just like the mk1 did (it needed a clock spring and a couple of dampers IIRC).

Of all the options available to us...we just bought another (T8 this time).
Murph7355 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Murph7355 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 22:34   #4
Discoman

I’ve got a T5, perfect. One of these or a B5P?
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 09:11   #5
MarkBrt

I agree. The T5 or B5P makes sense in terms of reliability. No potential ERAD or battery issues of the T8. No potential supercharger issues of the T6. No potential powerpulse hose or DPF issues of the D5 or B5D. Downside is that the T5 is not the fastest or most powerful but it is smooth and powerful enough for most uses.
MarkBrt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarkBrt For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 09:31   #6
Discoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBrt View Post
I agree. The T5 or B5P makes sense in terms of reliability. No potential ERAD or battery issues of the T8. No potential supercharger issues of the T6. No potential powerpulse hose or DPF issues of the D5 or B5D. Downside is that the T5 is not the fastest or most powerful but it is smooth and powerful enough for most uses.
Nice summary.
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 14:45   #7
sk546
Master Member

I have owned 2 T8's and I have had no big problems with either during my ownership but I have not owned either past the 2.5 year stage so cant really speak for long term ownership costs or issues just yet.

Its not a car I'd want to own outside of a warranty (OEM or 3rd party) due to the complexity within the drivetrain and the costs therein for fixing/replacing but to be fair, most cars these days are pretty complex and rely on computers and control units for pretty much everything and as such, if something does fail (which it inevitably will), the cost to fix it will be high.

In forums like this, you will always hear more of the negative ownership experiences that you will of the positive ownership experience because lets face it, we all like to have a good winge and complain about things but thats not always the full story.

Volvo, like most other manufacturers, will have their good cars and the car (friday afternoon cars as I know them) that for some unknown reason just cause hassle and aggravation for their poor owners as they always seem to have issues/problems with them.
I count myself as a lucky one as neither of my Volvos have caused me any great headaches (yet) but I have come into it eyes open to the possible issues that others have faced and accept the possibilities.

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus

Last edited by sk546; Mar 22nd, 2024 at 14:48.
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sk546 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 16:20   #8
ian ferguson
ian ferguson

Thanks for the replies, i will base my search on the T5 and B5P. Does the T5 have a turbo. Ian
ian ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 16:22   #9
MarkBrt

Yes it does have a turbo. T5 Turbo, T6 turbo + supercharger

Last edited by MarkBrt; Mar 22nd, 2024 at 16:24.
MarkBrt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkBrt For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 17:31   #10
MK09

It really depends on your mileage and driving habits but the B5D / D5 may be worth considering. As long as you do enough longer journeys, you shouldn’t have issues with the DPF. If you do higher mileages, plenty of motorway journeys or tow quite regularly, the diesel could be a better option. It’s horses for courses, all depends on your planned usage of the car.