Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My 940 turbo build thread. (was DomF1 car)

Views : 4130

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 20th, 2018, 10:53   #1
mhuk

Default My 940 turbo build thread. (was DomF1 car)

Hi all,

I used to own a 940 turbo which I fitted to a 15g turbo from a 850t5. It was a good car which I ended up selling due to the amount of miles I was driving to see my then girlfriend. I regretted getting rid of the car (not the girl)

My replacement was a audi TT mark 1, I made the car very nice and handled amazingly and I still own it.

This 940 I purchased from DomF1 has already had some changes made. Below is a paste from his selling thread...

Engine:

• B230T LPT
• Mileage = 152,000 (will change due to use)
• Regular oil changes by me since my ownership but stamped service history previous to this each year from 2000 – 2013 regardless of mileage. Last stamped service at 138,656 miles in 2013.
• Enclosed filter I think it’s an ITG but I can’t remember
• NGK BPR7ES Spark plugs
• Uprated injectors – ME7 Blues (resistor pack modded)
• EZK set of chips from Stoni:
Extended main fuel map to 6800rpm
Rev limiter set to 6800rpm
Air mass meter limiter map set to maximum (colloquial: Fuel-Cut)
Better acceleration
Several modifications to get the mixture leaner
Improved consumption over the complete power band
• Only run on V power fuel
• 16T fitted with angular flange for better flow – 3” all the way!
• Custom made SS 3” downpipe with V bands for easy removal
• SS 3” QTP exhaust Y pipe on flex pipe after downpipe
• Electric 3” QTP valve on one branch – means you can have it fully open and go for a straight through 3” system, can also close it for differing tones – the controller toggle switch is on the dash. The valve is being temperamental at the moment though… seems to get stuck then suddenly start working again, I took it apart and it’s all working but then sometimes sticks when on the car.
• Other branch reduces down to original diameter going to Volvo Catalytic convertor and then brand new full exhaust system just fitted for the MOT
• V band connections up to the Cat which makes so much easier
• Means the exhaust can be mental straight through loud or nice and calm/quiet and MOT friendly – perfect in my opinion but I guess I’m getting old.
• Turbo Smart Two stage boost controller – I haven’t seen many of these, there’s basically a unit in the engine bay with two settings controlled by two adjustable regulators, this then links to a rocker switch on the dash for low/high boost. It’s nice to flick it up, makes you feel like you’re in top gun. I leave it on low which is about 10psi but with the exhaust open more like 12psi. On high Its at approx. 16psi.
• Boost Gauge
• Catch Can
• Turbo oil return line has been custom welded so that it passes the actuator – the first was rubber hose and ended up having a leak.

Gearbox:

• M90 box 5 speed – gears change smoothly
• I hate the DMF so do have a diesel flywheel (which will come with the car) but never got round to getting the matching clutch and changing it all over.
• Will hold a good level of boost but go too high and it will inevitably slip

Bodywork:

• Comes up clean with a polish and I think the polar grey really suits the car
• It’s not brand new and does have some scars from life, as we all do so don’t expect a show room car.
• Main points to note:
o Some dents on the bonnet
o There is a scrape/dent on the O/S rear wheel arch
o N/S front sill there is a dent

Interior:

• Door cards have peeled back
• Half leather seats in good condition
• Load cover in the boot
• Rear facing seats (which appear to have never been used)
• JVC headunit, I’m sure I have the original tape deck somewhere as there’s still the CD changer in the boot.
• Electric windows, heated seats

Suspension/Wheels

• Had two new continental rear tyres fitted last year for the MOT, front tyres appear to be fine.

Misc

• I have the original chips, 13 turbo and downpipe which you can if in case you want to return it to normal. I always made the car with the thought that I may want to revert back to standard so it’s all ‘easy’ to remove.
• Three sets of keys
• Central locking only works on the key and not the fob

The above was all correct.

Since owning the car I have replaced all front bushes with poly bushes and fitted my charge cooler setup which I was running on the Audi TT. The charge cooler is cold to the touch and after 50miles and some hard boosting it's still cold. The system has around 4 litres of -10 screen wash. I intend on fitting a cheap temp sensor on the inlet/outlet to measure the air temp drop.

My aim was to reduce throttle pickup. It certainly has worked with the shortened length intake. I made it myself in staining and brazing it together. I'm not a fan of silicone hose all over the place. Yes I know it's blue but it's going stainless soon.

About 60 secs after filling i noticed the expansion tank was foaming. It's all fine now but I almost dumped the lot in panic. My pump is a davis craig model with DIY inlet/outlet flanges. The radiator is from a fiat seicento 1.1 (holds 0.8L) costs 18 pounds from eurocarparts. I had to tap the bosses to M6 and make some brackets. It fits very well.

Things I have changed.

Catch can has been removed which was knocking on the bulkhead.

Head light bulbs have been changed to something a bit better.

charger cooler setup fitted

poly bushes on the front fitted. Suspension arms media blasted at home and painted black.

Bought a dog dish and up rated clutch. It's not slipping but for more power it will need doing.

Removed the air filter cone thing so it no longer sounds like a jet plane. OEM filter and airbox fitted.

Next things to do.

Fit poly bushes on the rear. Maybe lower the car 40mm. No more that's for sure.

Replace the PAS rubber bushes as they are terrible. Replace the belts and change the cam belt.

Remove what is left of the aircon. It's not working anyways.

Overall the car is very good. I have missed owning a big volvo estate.

Those are shot!

Fiat radiator.

Brackets made up. It's mounted using alloy angle and M6 bolts.

Charge cooler fitted. The hoses are temporary fitted and will be moved to a less in the way route. I have some stainless elbows to braze up and make nice bends.

More to come.
mhuk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mhuk For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 20th, 2018, 11:01   #2
kmb

Nice work - Keep the pictures coming, would be nice to see the wider picture too
kmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2018, 11:10   #3
mhuk

Thanks

The first thing it got was a engine bay clean. It was filthy.

Here is the car.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mhuk For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 01:45   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Is it just me or are the photos not showing?
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 02:44   #5
T5Sweep
Master Member

No pictures for me either.
A bit pointless having the rev limit raised when a stock T cam dies at anything over 4.5k.
Looking forward to more updates though.
T5Sweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 09:52   #6
mhuk

no pictures? ok for me. Try a direct link to one and let me know.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2mhymur.jpg

no idea about the rev limit gain. I did not order any of the mods other then what i said above.
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 09:59   #7
mhuk

When it's cold and raining it's time to braze. My attempt at cleaning up the amount of silicone hoses and hose clamps in use on the charge cooler setup. I just need to finish a load more. I will still be using silicone hoses where stain relief is needed.
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 14:16   #8
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

This charge cooler thing is new to me,
can you explain some more?
The photo with the blue silicone bits on, yes ... I'm seeing this stuff ignoring the intercoolor, am I right or missing something in that photo?
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 15:24   #9
mhuk

Hi,

Basically you have a tank of water (well -10c screen wash in this case)
a pump and charge cooler which is a intercooler which is welded up so instead of air of passing over the fins it's water passing over them.

This is all then cooled by the front radiator.

Charge cooling works very well.

It has pros and cons like anything. I have mostly fitted it because I had the bits from before. The audi TT it was briefly fitted to did not work so well. The water tank cooked. The charge cooler was warm and the radiator was tiny. This was all due to lack of engine bay space and the heat under that bonnet immense.

However in the volvo it's cold all the time. I had to make a fair few bits to make this wait.

Have a read of http://www.chargecooler.co.uk/index....in_page=page_3
The Following User Says Thank You to mhuk For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 15:57   #10
T5Sweep
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuk View Post
no pictures? ok for me. Try a direct link to one and let me know.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2mhymur.jpg

no idea about the rev limit gain. I did not order any of the mods other then what i said above.
Working now!

Yeah I'm just saying, if you stick something like a K cam in it it'll really wake it up.
T5Sweep is offline   Reply With Quote