Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bulbs

Views : 1464

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 17:17   #11
sholtby
Premier Member

Default RE: Bulbs

Wish I'd read it earlier also as I'm sure I have read that the wiring cant cope with 100w bulbs ie it melts. If you examine the wiring that goes to each headlight unit there are 3 wires fullbeam, dipped and a common earth. The wiring isnt very thick at all and that earth will will have 110/12= 9 amps with 55w bulbs and 155/12 = 13 amps with 100w bulbs ie the same current as a 240v 3kw electric fire/fan heater!
My 95 850 has H1 bulbs for full and dipped beams but I think it does vary. The silverstar bulbs were a noticable improvement over standard bulbs and receive good reviews.

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 17:30   #12
mraldonnelly

Nigel,

I'm not convinced the bulbs in the car are anything like the silver star ones but if they are, at least I have a set of spares.

The coloured bulbs I'm referring to are the blue/pink/purple/whatever stupid colour you want kinda thing side lamp bulbs. You know, the ones like those ridiculous washer jet thingies too. I don't mind the clear side repeaters.

I'd love a Red R Nigel, and at £8,000 she's a bargain. Unfortunately I've got no chance. A white saloon was bad enough to get aurhorisation for. A Red ESTATE. NO CHANCE!

I'm sure you'll get what you're asking though.

The T5's going well. I'm loving every minute behind the wheel. I think the Turbo's burning a bit more oil now, especially when idling for a while but that'll be replaced soon anyway.

Regards

Andy
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 17:31   #13
mraldonnelly

Simon,

I'll check that out and may not fit the bulbs if that's the case. Thanks for the warning. I'll chack my Haynes in the first instance.

Regards

Andy
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 07:59   #14
RedR

>The T5's going well. I'm loving every minute behind the wheel.
>I think the Turbo's burning a bit more oil now, especially
>when idling for a while but that'll be replaced soon anyway.

I'd just like to say at this point, that Andy bought the car knowing the Turbo was on it's last legs. Because of this I gave him a 16T Turbo, Manifold and downpipe to suit.

"Just in case someone may have thought I ripped him off"

Old Oct 28th, 2004, 08:19   #15
mraldonnelly

Sorry, yes, I should have clarified that point also. Nigel pointed out all the potential faults on the car before I committed to buying her. This gave me a good enough picture to buy blind. I decided to buy before seeing the car based entirely on Nigel's description and it couldn't have been more accurate.

I made my mind up and decided to buy the car based on Nigel's description. When I arrived to collect her he was a little surprised that I didn't even want to test drive her. Well, I'd made my mind up and committed to buying the car and Nigel was still prepared to allow me to pull out of the deal if I wan't happy! What a guy.

Look, anyone with a spare £8,000 - buy his Red R. Don't think about it, just do it.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 15:05   #16
eddie69
Eddie69

Hi again,
i am sure i have H1 in all four of mine and they are superb, dont have any probs on dip with people thinking they are too bright.

Eddie
850 T5
eddie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 16:12   #17
don kalmar union
Trader

Just to say that I used to put 80 and 100 watt 'ordinary' bulbs in my old '97 S70 T5. They burnt the terminal blocks to a crisp and melted the plastic on the wiring. but the wiring itself stayed attached to the bulbs.

Coincidentally, I am just upgrading the front lights on my S60 as I am doing two 3 hour night races next month. Rather than go to the expense of fitting HID lights ( Volvo's light units are £620 plus VAT each side), I am fitting a pair of the '05 'facelift' front light units which apparantly have superior reflectors and lenses with Phillips H7 Vision Plus ans Premium HB3 bulbs, plus a pair of Cibie spots with 100 watt bulbs on a separate loom.

I will in fact be stocking these H7, HB3 and H1 bulbs for mail order at sharp prices in the future.

Don.Norchi.

www.kalmar-union.com

TME engineered software UK distributor.
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 17:12   #18
sholtby
Premier Member

Don,

Have you considered an after market HID kit to fit the standard headlights? Cost is about £200 all in. I've just fitted them to my car and they are way better than a filament bulb.

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 08:21   #19
mraldonnelly

Thanks for the replies everyone. The bulbs should be arriving today or tomorrow. I'll fit the Silver Star bulbs but don't think I'll give the 100 watt ones a go judging by some of the answers above, especially Don's. I could do without melting the insulation on my wiring and burning the terminal block.

If it was a simple case of replacing a short length of wiring between the lamps and a relay then I'd go for that. However, I'd constantly worry about what was happening to the wiring on the other side of the relay. A prime way to cause a vehicle fire I suspect.

Does anyone know of any decent high power after market light kits that would blend in to the car? I don't want anything that looks obvious or stupid, just something that is largely anonymous. The only reason for wanting to fit extra lights is to provide better visibility on dark roads. I do a fair amount of driving on country lanes at night and it would be nice to see that bit further.

Thanks again folks

Andy
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 09:11   #20
Muscas
Master Member

Hi Don,

Would you consider stocking a HID kit for a V70 Classic?
If so how much do you expect it to cost?

Regards

Patrick
2000 V70 R AWD Laser Blue
1994 Volvo 480ES 2.0i (In and out of Roadworthiness)
2017 Toyota Land Cruiser, daily car
Muscas is offline   Reply With Quote