Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazon Estate Rolling Project

Views : 69982

Replies : 599

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 4th, 2011, 12:31   #31
gillberry
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch1971 View Post
Thanks Gillberry! I'm waiting on a price from VP for a new interior but my trimmer has quoted me a price previously for leather which was very reasonable I thought and as you say leather. With VP I'd need to do it myself but the trimmer is very experienced and would do a good job.
That was what we found when all the costs were weighed up trimming in leather was a no brainer in fact the guy did our headling and carpet thruoghout for a price not much more than it would have cost for the vinyl kit fitted . We also had the trimmer use a leathe pattern which was not too dissimilar to the vinyl pattern .The other thing with leather is you can treat and repair , you can't with vinyl .

1968 Amazon estate (Gracie).
2003 Vauxhall astra estate (her car)
2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Not forgetting 1967 Cheltenham Nyala (caravan)
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gillberry For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2011, 12:35   #32
gillberry
VOC Member

Rob and Emma at amazon cars can get all the bright work for an estate , it's not cheap but as in our case after a respray old brightwork stands out .

2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Old May 4th, 2011, 12:37   #33
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

I had a close look at the bright work yesterday, it will need replacing once the new paint has been done. My budget is quickly being used up...
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 12:45   #34
gillberry
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch1971 View Post
I had a close look at the bright work yesterday, it will need replacing once the new paint has been done. My budget is quickly being used up...
That's the worst part we didn't budget for new brightwork but after the new paintjob we had no choice . My other half has managed to get a genuine roofrack but having put the new brightwork on that can wait . It's all the smaller cost items that add up to a big bill .

2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Old May 4th, 2011, 12:53   #35
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Just a thought. Seeing as the brightwork is SO expensive on these cars, have you had a really good go trying to clean the existing up?

Get some degreaser (like a can of brake cleaner) to get rid of the grime, followed by something like thinners to get rid of tar, paint over-spray etc, followed by few a proper goes with some good chrome polish? There was a thread on here recently about cleaning chrome with aluminum foil and water, a technique some people swear by. Also some time and patience tapping out little dents; those trims up through the sides are easy to do. Get some nice shiney new bumper bolts and stuff. It is possible to get some quite bad chrome and stainless to look reasonably good

I just looked at the photos of your car and I reckon it's certainly worth a go. Is the back nearside corner on the wonk a bit? Could the bumper irons do with some straightening?

All said, reasonably good may well be lower than the standard you're wanting to achieve! Also reasonably good ain't goin' to look too proper against nice shiney new paint...
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL

Last edited by swedishandgerman; May 4th, 2011 at 13:03.
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swedishandgerman For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2011, 21:25   #36
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Just been doing some painting in my makeshift spray booth, see attached pics. ;-) A few engine bits and the outriggers so nothing exciting. I'll paint the engine fully when assembled but just a bit of prep work really with the rust preventative paint. The outriggers on the car are a bit dented so will be replaced. Nice easy job for the resto guy. Renting a trailer tomorrow to take the car up to the resto guy's workshop on Saturday afternoon. Hopefully strip the car on the weekend and have a good peak at everything and will take some pics. For those interested in knowing the price of a internal refit from VP for the estate drop me a PM with your e-mail and I'll send the price list they sent me. Like Gillberry pointed out, my trimmer is quite a bit cheaper to do it in leather.

Also does anyone know how much play is acceptable for the spindle in SU carbs. Are they quite a precision tight fit when new? Both pairs of mine move sideways easily and have a little bit of clearance play. I imagine too much play would mean that I would never get them balanced at idle as they would never go back to the same position if they slop about. I've ordered new spindles so will fit them anyway but if the housing is worn then it may not solve the problem or they may be totally fine as the play isn't too much. I'll get them apart and measure with the micrometer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0159.jpg (376.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0156.jpg (394.1 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by Burdekin; May 5th, 2011 at 21:31.
Old May 6th, 2011, 21:41   #37
pez
VOC Member

love the spraybooth mitch!!
not long ago i sprayed the viscous fan off my 2.8 ford capri,another toy of mine!
i hung it on the washing line using cable ties,she went mad! didnt talk to me for a few hours...which suited me fine!!
pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 22:27   #38
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

My wife was out so took the opportunity, what she doesn't know won't hurt her. ;-)
Old May 7th, 2011, 19:24   #39
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Loaded the car up on the trailer last night and drove the car up to the cottage last night. I took the car over to the resto guys place this afternoon and we started stripping the car and having a poke about. So far no real surprises and the resto guy is well pleased how solid the car is. I must admit we chatted most of the time I was over, discussed what he would do to the car and looked over his other cars he's working on. It was rather an exciting afternoon and am really happy with the condition of the car and how he plans to do it.

Also attached a pic of the megajolt kit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0163.jpg (290.2 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0166.jpg (305.2 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0167.jpg (392.2 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0168.jpg (268.0 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0169.jpg (332.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0172.jpg (257.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0165.jpg (277.6 KB, 66 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2011, 22:38   #40
pez
VOC Member

good photos mitch,making good progress.
ive got a chap looking at my estate next week to give me a quote on the paintwork.
keep up the good work!
pez is offline   Reply With Quote