Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazon Estate Rolling Project

Views : 69980

Replies : 599

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 27th, 2014, 19:20   #511
Jackman

Glad to see some progress again.

What are you going to use to paint the suspension?
Jackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 19:23   #512
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Jotun Jotamastic 80 and the Jotun Hardtop As. Same as I painted the rear suspension and is really good stuff and not expensive.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 19:28   #513
barkster1971
VOC Member

Default Por15

Why no love for the POR15? Bad finish? I believe it's a bit picky on which surface it goes on?
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 19:33   #514
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkster1971 View Post
Why no love for the POR15? Bad finish? I believe it's a bit picky on which surface it goes on?
I prepped the surface really well and as directed but it just came off really easily in big chunks. I won't use it ever again, the Jotun paints are far superior at bonding and tougher as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 19:52   #515
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khe Sanh View Post
Is the slight mushrooming of the top shock mount as designed or is that caused from use? Anyone know what the recommended strengthening mod is for the upper shock mount? I had a look last night but couldn't find it.
I've been wondering about that too. All the ones I've seen have had the edge of the hole slightly domed, as per your pic. Also, I've only ever read of damage there being an issue when too stiff a damper is used, which makes me think that either the doming is normal / supposed to be there, or it isn't a problem with regular dampers.

Oh, and the green book says 12.2mm minimum thickness for the front discs - see page 11:
http://volvo1800pictures.com/documen...isc_brakes.pdf

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 222s For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 20:14   #516
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222s View Post
I've been wondering about that too. All the ones I've seen have had the edge of the hole slightly domed, as per your pic. Also, I've only ever read of damage there being an issue when too stiff a damper is used, which makes me think that either the doming is normal / supposed to be there, or it isn't a problem with regular dampers.

Oh, and the green book says 12.2mm minimum thickness for the front discs - see page 11:
http://volvo1800pictures.com/documen...isc_brakes.pdf
Thanks Paul, but oh bugger this is going to be expensive... I better go measure it again.
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 20:42   #517
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Went and checked as I wouldn't sleep not knowing and sure enough they are at 10.2mm, been machined previously. Not good news. Also found this update: http://volvo1800pictures.com/wb/5/5_...ake%20disc.htm which says 11.56mm which is still considerably more than mine. Uncle Simon is going to love me.
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 21:16   #518
Derek UK
VOC Member

Gordon did his shock towers like this.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...49#post1612949

Easier when the x-member is out of course. Usually done with a big washer or a 3 legged steel plate that wraps over the tower. I believe the shaped edge of the hole is to help keep the runner centralised. Rear shock mounts have similar holes. Any piece added on top of the tower will tend to trap water so keep that in mind.

For runner read "rubber"!!!

Last edited by Derek UK; Apr 27th, 2014 at 23:40. Reason: Error
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 21:21   #519
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Gordon did his shock towers like this.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...49#post1612949

Easier when the x-member is out of course. Usually done with a big washer or a 3 legged steel plate that wraps over the tower. I believe the shaped edge of the hole is to help keep the runner centralised. Rear shock mounts have similar holes. Any piece added on top of the tower will tend to trap water so keep that in mind.
Thanks Derek.
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 22:08   #520
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

i am a little lost here now as dad has a brand new crossmember never!!! fitted and that has the shape in it , so yes i can understand a wee litlle stressing in that area but im sure there should be some shape not ment to be flat like gordon has done his - his seem dead flat and now has a extra section welded over the top which of course would strengthen it up and prevent in many moons to come any streesing of that area ....... i dont know i reckon i will have to check manuals and see if its referenced with diagram showing that shape now just to double confirm in my mind

kind regards
robert

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 123GT-AMAZON For This Useful Post: