Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bulbs

Views : 1465

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 10:51   #1
mraldonnelly

Hi All,

Just returned from a break in Ireland and one thing that was immediately apparent on the dark country lanes was the crapness of the current bulbs in my T5.

When I bought my GLT I had the same problem and replaced the bulbs with the Osram Silver Star bulbs from www.powerbulbs.co.uk and was very impressed by the improvement.

Now, I know this is probably a very stupid question but I wanted to make sure before I commit to spending more than necessary.

The '94 on models have two headlamps on either side - one for high beam and one for main/dipped beam. My old '93 model only had one lamp on either side and therefore only required one bulb on either side.

So, the stupid question:

I assume I need to purchase TWO pairs of bulbs - one pair for high beam and the other for main and dipped?

Any responses welcomed.

Cheers

Andy

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 11:02   #2
eddie69
Eddie69

Default RE: Bulbs

I have an 850 T5 which i purchased bulbs from the company i think you mentioned and had to get four for the reasons you stated, high beam and dip are two seperate lights side by side.

Eddie
850 T5
eddie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 14:01   #3
warthog
VOC Member

Andy,

another place to look at that I've used and found very good are http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 14:59   #4
mraldonnelly

Thanks Eddie,

Just what I thought.

OK, so I need two pairs of bulbs. The question is, should I go for two sets of the Silver Star bulbs?

What I'm thinking is that I should go for one set of Silver Star to use for the main and dipped beam lights along with one set of Philips Rally 100 watt bulbs to use for high beam. The Philips Rally aren't road legal - they're for off road use only - but I figure that considering I only uses high beam lights when the road ahead is empty it probably won't make much difference.

I have two concerns with using the 100 watt bulbs though.

A) They're not road legal and I'm a compliant kind of person on the whole.

B) The car is only designed to be equipped with 55 or 60 watt (I forget which) bulbs and therefore 100 watt may (or may not) cause damage.

I'm therefore inclined to buy two sets of the Silver Star. Anyone any thoughts?

Thanks

Andy
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 15:00   #5
mraldonnelly

Cheers Brian,

I'll check them out now.

Andy
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 15:25   #6
Muscas
Master Member

Hi Guys,

I was of the opinion that the 850 uses a H7 bulb on low beam and a H1 on high beam.
While the V70 uses a H7 on low beam and H7 on high beam.
The V70 fog lights use H1's but not sure what the 850 uses.

But beware if you replace the S70/V70 lights with the 2003 C70 lights the high beam uses a 9006 filament.

Before I replaced my V70 lights with C70 ones I was using 80 Watt bulbs in the high beam position and experienced no problems.

Regards

Patrick
2000 V70 R AWD Laser Blue

1994 Volvo 480ES 2.0i (In and out of Roadworthiness)
2017 Toyota Land Cruiser, daily car
Muscas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 15:47   #7
mraldonnelly

Patrick,

I thought the earlier 850 used H4 for all headlamp applications (one bulb performs all three operations) and the later 850 uses H1 bulbs where there are two bulbs per side performing the operations.

Maybe I'm wrong but I certainly thought it was H1 all round.

Was there a noticable difference with the 80 watt bulbs? Basically, what I'm after is something that throws as much light as possible onto the road in situations where there are no street lamps etc. I guess the legality of them doesn't really matter because I'll only be using them when others aren't around anyway. When there are other cars around I'll be using the normal headlamps which are only 55 watt anyway.

I'd just be praying the 100 watt didn't melt the plastic reflector in the headlamp unit.

Regards

Andy
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 16:00   #8
Muscas
Master Member

Hi Andy,

I have to confess I am not so sure about the 850. I had an 850 T5 1996 model year and I am almost certain that it had H1's for both the High and Low beam. If you have a look at the back cover of your user manual there is a quick referance guide to what bulls are required on your car.

As regards using 80 watt rally bulbs on high beam, they do make a big differance, allot more illumination especially noticeable in dark country lanes. I never tried the 100 watt so can't really comment.

If you have the opportunity try to buy the blueish bulbs as they are supposed to be kinder to the eyes of the driver and thus improve his/her reaction times. And they just so happen to look allot better!

Regards

Patrick
2000 V70 R AWD Laser Blue

1994 Volvo 480ES 2.0i (In and out of Roadworthiness)
2017 Toyota Land Cruiser, daily car
Muscas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 16:12   #9
mraldonnelly

Well, just ordered from Powerbulbs. I looked at autobulbsdirect and their prices are only slightly higher but they have a much bigger range including the HID kits and stuff.

What is the latest craze with these stupid coloured sidelight bulbs though. I guess they're designed for Saxo's, Corsa's, Punto's etc. Infact, it wouldn't surprise me if they were standard fit on some models - I see far too many around.

Anyway, I odered a pair of Silver Star and a pair of 100w Rally bulbs. You get a 10% discount for ordering two pairs at the same time too. If I don't like the 100w bulbs when using as high beam I'll just replace then with standard ones. I'll post the results when I've received and fitted them.

Regards

Andy

P.S. Fingers crossed the 100w doesn't cause any damage. I'll be keeping a close eye on them.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 16:22   #10
RedR

Andy,

I wish I'd read this post earlier!! I think you'll find the car already has uprated bulb s in it?? There were certainly some fancy looking opened packets in the boot, with standard looking bulbs in them.

I had to laugh when you mentioned these dafty coloured side repeater bulbs, being for the Punto and Saxo brigades.....your T5 has them!!!

How's the old girl going anyway?? Dont fancy a Red 855R do you??