Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alternator replacement update and parts comments.

Views : 903

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2012, 23:39   #1
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool Alternator replacement update and parts comments.

Hi All,
Just to update you on the saga about the background rattle from the alternator area at idle only when hot from my 2003 V40 1.9D with 175,000 km.
Firstly I kind of knew from this forum that the noise was from the alternator front pulley freewheel clutch, but was not 100% sure if there might be more trouble, because the half life of an alternator on a 10 year old car is about 200,000 km in terms of worn bearings.
I took the car to my local Volvo dealer in Germany and he agreed the alternator pulley was kaput and ordered a new Volvo pulley and auxiliary belt, BUT I did say to them I thought there could be more than just the pulley kaput, but some folks always suffer from selective deafness. When the Volvo engineer looked at the 125A alternator after the belt was off he stuck a big fork in the back of it and said in German, "Dis ist well forked und zee new Volvo lightmachine (Alternator) vill cost yoo de 400 Euros for zee new one, und 32 for de belt, plus de 2 hours fur de fittin. Total quote about 650 Euros minimum.
Umm! I said, asked for the car back, kept the Volvo belt, returned the pulley (It will not fit another equivalent alternator unless you get the full ID from the label, so be careful trying to match a pulley from Volvo with another 125A alternator as they have different fittings). They did not have one in stock anyway, so off I went to my trusty Bulgarian TUV inspectors garage and he had all the parts ready to roll this morning, including the tensioner and some other small pulley I didn't recognise yet. New Hella 125A (With AC) alternator cost 250 Euros delivered (No rebuilt ones of the correct type available in Germany overnight). That lot should be fitted tommorow, because he was busy today and just finished checking the new brakes after the discs and pads were all replaced with genuine Volvo parts. I will do the required test drive on my way to the garage tommorow to confirm a slight tyre squeel and correct ABS pulse rate etc. He also replaced a badly corroded lower radiator hose clamp with a stainless one. I had ordered a new hose, but sent it back because when I inspected it on the ramps, it was almost new, BUT some muppet had used a Chinese steel clip!!
Second thoughts, it is now Friday the 13th and perhaps I will stay in bed all day, just in case the cam belt snaps or it turns out to be the AC pump bearings (Never heard one fail), because the good chap from Bulgaria did not listen to it and just accepted my advice that the tensioner, alternator and belt should go in the bin tomorrow. Fingers and toes crossed I just might try and get the job finished tommorow.
Gasbags lighter than air comedy web site: www.hybridblimp.net
PS. I hope some chap does not comment badly on new Hella alternators! The Bulgarian owned garage does not use rubbish parts (I hope).
PPS. Off topic: NOKIAN won the test results game in Germany for largish summer only tyres. The local Continental, Goodyear, Dunlop, Pirelli and Michellin dealers folks were all seriously miffed, cos my local garage is a Nokian dealer and the magazine report was good for business, but they are not much cheaper than Conti's.

Last edited by skyship007; Apr 12th, 2012 at 23:52.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 21:16   #2
skyship007
Premier Member

Unhappy Faulty tensioner!

Big surprise today as Volvo were wrong, because I inspected the alternator and it seems to be in excellent condition. I don't even think the pulley clutch is very worn, BUT the tensioner was making a classic worn bearings sound when spun (It should be silent). The lower pulley bearing was slightly worn but not making much of a noise.
I am rather miffed that the Volvo mechanic that was supposed to do the job tried to sell me a new alternator before I decided to leave. I had the exchange one fitted anyway, along with a new lower pulley, tensioner and belt.
The original alternator has been sent away for a written report on its condition and once I have some more paperwork ready I will return to the Volvo dealer for a discussion.
The job the Bulgarian engineer did was perfect in every way, he even called me after removing the alternator to let me know it was not defective and it is now much quieter at idle.
I did think the Volvo dealer could be trusted, but apparently not.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, auxiliary belt, pulley, tensioner