Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cam Belt Horror Stories

Views : 8533

Replies : 79

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 25th, 2023, 14:56   #11
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleBoy View Post
News to me too. Can reassure you that omitting this step hasn't caused catastrophic destruction. Probably good Volvo reason for doing so, but no idea why.
I do recall the green book talking about #1 being at TDC. There is no particular significance of #1, and not really TDC either, but it does make sense to turn the motor clockwise a bit using the crank bolt so the belt is tensioned on the nearside and any slack is on the tensioner side of course. I think that is all it is about.

Old Mar 25th, 2023, 22:55   #12
Bob 1967
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levonsrealm View Post
Thanks for the info. How would one put cylinder 1 to TDC?

I have read that people slacken off the tensioner and retighten it after 500 miles. This is the first time I have seen it mentioned to put cylinder 1 at TDC when doing this.
Correct
There are plenty of Pics on the web of how to set up TDC on number one cylinder.
Not sure what type of distributor you have, but it could have a notch(visible after removing the cap) around 8 O'clock. when the rotor arm lines up with this notch it is at TDC no.1.

Last edited by Bob 1967; Mar 25th, 2023 at 23:19.
Bob 1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob 1967 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2023, 10:22   #13
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
but it does make sense to turn the motor clockwise a bit using the crank bolt so the belt is tensioned on the nearside and any slack is on the tensioner side of course.
I think at very very low speed the belt tensions and slackens as each valve spring is compressed and released. Certainly that's how it feels if you try to turn the camshaft alone with your bare hands or a spanner.

That's why belts are much more likely to snap at idling speed than turning fast - at speed the tension is just a constant blur, but at idling it's a series of jerks.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2023, 08:45   #14
hreg240

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
2.0 engines are interference, can't remember why exactly, I think the crown of the piston is domed or something like that where as the b230 piston crown is recessed in.

I would highly recommend the crank locking tool for undoing the crank pulley bolt. It can be done without but why mess around when you can spend one minute fitting the tool and know it will come undone without risking damaging anything, it also allows you to torque it up correctly.

Don't forget that after 600 miles you need to put cylinder 1 at TDC, slacken off the tensioner bolt to allow it to retension and then torque it back up. To get access to the bolt Volvo put a rubber bung in the cam cover so you can just pull that out.

We were discussing this in my thread and it was said that the B200e was 'non-interference'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_Redblock_Engine

" All single camshaft versions of the engine with the exception of the K series (B200K, B230K) are of 'non-interference' design, meaning that failure of the toothed belt will not result in engine damage."

I was unsure, and still am, as there is a lot of conflicting information
hreg240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hreg240 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2023, 08:49   #15
Levonsrealm
240 user and non-abuser

Haha yes I believe they get ordained into each stage. So ordained to priesthood from once being a Deacon.
Levonsrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2023, 08:53   #16
Levonsrealm
240 user and non-abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hreg240 View Post
We were discussing this in my thread and it was said that the B200e was 'non-interference'.

" All single camshaft versions of the engine with the exception of the K series (B200K, B230K) are of 'non-interference' design, meaning that failure of the toothed belt will not result in engine damage."

I agree H reg, I have also read a lot of conflicting information. I think i'll just treat the adventure with caution.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Levonsrealm For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2023, 09:39   #17
hreg240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levonsrealm View Post
I agree H reg, I have also read a lot of conflicting information. I think i'll just treat the adventure with caution.
Likewise, I think a systematic approach and ensuring you double check TDC et al will mitigate risks.

I've subscribed to this thread - interesting to hear from others their experiences.
hreg240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hreg240 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2023, 12:46   #18
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by hreg240 View Post

There are people in the 7/900 section who have had a B200E cambelt snap and valves hit pistons, as far as I'm aware all 2.0 low friction engines are interference.

This is because the 2.0 pistons have a dome on top of the crown but the 2.3 have a dished crown.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 14:30   #19
Levonsrealm
240 user and non-abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
There are people in the 7/900 section who have had a B200E cambelt snap and valves hit pistons, as far as I'm aware all 2.0 low friction engines are interference.

This is because the 2.0 pistons have a dome on top of the crown but the 2.3 have a dished crown.
In this case it will be best to treat the engine as interference.
The Following User Says Thank You to Levonsrealm For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 14:35   #20
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Before you start make sure the timing marks line up. The bottom pulley can slip on the rubber. If it has spun then get a new one

B200 non turbo engines have a raised crown that will hit the valves. The turbo pistons are dished and do not have the problem. B230's are all dished. The B230K with 631 is the only B230 that bends valves
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post: