Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1972 P1800ES Tachometer connection

Views : 1081

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 17th, 2023, 15:58   #11
142 Guy
Master Member

So we have a bit of confusion. The terminal on the ignition coil that you want to connect to is the negative #1 terminal. The 15 terminal is the coil positive with the two brown wires.

The problem is that the #1 terminal has two wires on it. Normally there would only be a single wire which would lead down to the distributor. You need to sort out which of those two black wires is going down to the distributor points connection and insert the tach in series between that wire and the coil #1 terminal.

You also need to figure out what that other wire is doing that is connected to the coil #1 as it may interfere with the operation of the tachometer. Was a more conventional voltage sensing tach installed in the car at some point? That black wire with the red insulator on the terminal is clearly not stock and might be an added wire for a more conventional aftermarket tachometer.

Last edited by 142 Guy; Nov 17th, 2023 at 16:06.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2023, 18:03   #12
Grahamwhitfield

Thank you to everyone that has helped me along the way in the aspect of wiring!! I can now say I have a working rev counter in the ES!!

I have connected it up as my very crude picture illustrates. With the tach in series between the coil and distributor.

The ‘second’ black wire mentioned in the previous post goes to a little round cylinder on the side of the coil, about the size of a d size battery. No idea what that is? In the picture I have shown this as a green line to make it easier to see.

But end result is the tach is working as it should and has no visual interference evident. Very pleased and thank you all again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0286.jpg (99.5 KB, 13 views)
Grahamwhitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2023, 23:44   #13
Derek UK
VOC Member

Glad you have it working. The little pot (green wire) is an anti interference suppressor.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2023, 06:13   #14
25PSi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamwhitfield View Post
Thank you to everyone that has helped me along the way in the aspect of wiring!! I can now say I have a working rev counter in the ES!!

I have connected it up as my very crude picture illustrates. With the tach in series between the coil and distributor.

The ‘second’ black wire mentioned in the previous post goes to a little round cylinder on the side of the coil, about the size of a d size battery. No idea what that is? In the picture I have shown this as a green line to make it easier to see.

But end result is the tach is working as it should and has no visual interference evident. Very pleased and thank you all again.
D battery cylinder connected to coil is condenser that WAS needed for conventional distributor but totally not needed with 123. Ok to take it out.

Would you mind helping me out to figure how to connect my 73 ES tach so it works?
25PSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2023, 12:45   #15
Grahamwhitfield

If you can post pictures of what you have and how it’s connected I will see what I can do. I’m sure many others here would be able to help out also.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grahamwhitfield For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2023, 01:13   #16
25PSi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamwhitfield View Post
If you can post pictures of what you have and how it’s connected I will see what I can do. I’m sure many others here would be able to help out also.
FIGURED IT OUT WITH HELP OF GOOD "Internet" PEOPLE

am gonna try to return the favor and post best explanation i can.

Here is what stock setup on '73 1800ES looks like (On mine anyhow). RED to -; YELLOW(ish) to Distributor and BLACK that comes from another direction to +
https://ibb.co/tB2jgzh

And 2nd one is what it looked like after 123 install and Smith tachometer working.

Stock RED to -; Stock BLACK to +; RED from 123 to +; BLACK from 123 into the stock YELLOW(ish) wire that used to be connected to stock Distributor.
https://ibb.co/cJ0xPrL

Last one shows that YELLOW and WHITE wires from 123 go into stock plug that used to be plugged to the side of distributor.
https://ibb.co/qNdY0xs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1800StockCoil.jpg (75.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 1800_123Coil.jpg (153.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg YandW123.jpg (103.1 KB, 7 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to 25PSi For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2023, 16:47   #17
Grahamwhitfield

Glad you got it working! Great diagrams too
Old Nov 22nd, 2023, 18:28   #18
25PSi

Just to point out: This is NOT how i will leave it. It will get cleaned up and "Bettered" Connections will be done properly using environment resistant connectors, long wires will be shortened, temp protective tubing will be used, suspended wires will be tied, etc

Just wanted to rush out those diagrams to have them out there.

Tags
coil, distributor, p1800es, tacho