Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tailgate/Boot won't open

Views : 40532

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 7th, 2018, 15:46   #41
Bandwagon

Having read the thread and successfully opening the tailgate by shorting the contacts, I know it's the microswitch that needs replaced. All good so far, but.....does anyone know the part number for the black switch holder assembly? I've searched various parts websites, and can't find the part listed anywhere. Help!

UPDATE
I've found the part no. It's 30699141 if that helps anyone in a similar situation. Best price I've found so far is from www.volvopartshop.com

Last edited by Bandwagon; Jan 7th, 2018 at 16:33. Reason: update of information
Bandwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2020, 00:21   #42
GrantV50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gswede View Post
Yes,

The licence plate and boot-open microswitch is one assembly, easely removed from outside by removing 4 torx screws.
The rear bulbs you`ll most likely find failed (not the bulbs themselves) as there will be a load of corrosion (from constant moist) on the contactplates.
To open the boot, unplug wire to microswitch and bridge the connector with a paperclip. No need to access this from the inside
You can clean the bulb connectors, grease the connector with el-grease and you should be golden. If not, expect to buy a new assembly. Not expensive.

If you do buy a new one, grease up connector regardless.

One more thing, you can buy a used one or pick one up from a salvage yard, but it must come from a S40. They do not have the same issue with moist accumulation in specific area. Design issue, drag etc - circulating the rear end when at speed.
Can anyone explain this to me - how do I bridge the connector? I.e. - where do I put the paperclip to bridge this connection??

TIA
GrantV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2020, 11:42   #43
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantV50 View Post
Can anyone explain this to me - how do I bridge the connector? I.e. - where do I put the paperclip to bridge this connection??

TIA
in 95% of cases it is NOT the microswith but the loom where it bends near the roof ,

bridge the Black wire and black with yellow stripe wire to activate the unlock servo located at the back of the roof on the inside left side..

you can also earth out a yellow wire on the cem , but you need to know exactly which plug and which socket location number.