Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo S40 Strange Deadlock Noise??

Views : 9457

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 8th, 2013, 09:29   #11
brian1912

I've only had the car 6 months now its never been out the garage mines is just over 5 years old can't see Volvo covering it now just had a new clutch dual mass fly wheel clutch plate and cylinder and a new a/c condensor think I've bought a lemon
brian1912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2013, 09:43   #12
chrisdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1912 View Post
I've only had the car 6 months now its never been out the garage mines is just over 5 years old can't see Volvo covering it now just had a new clutch dual mass fly wheel clutch plate and cylinder and a new a/c condensor think I've bought a lemon
Sorry to hear that. I'll ask dealer how much the repair would have cost had it not been covered. At least it will give you a rough idea....
chrisdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisdc For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2013, 22:30   #13
mtanz0

Mine does this too. TBH I thought it was to signal the alarm was active.
mtanz0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 07:02   #14
chrisdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtanz0 View Post
Mine does this too. TBH I thought it was to signal the alarm was active.
Its a security feature. Once they activate you cannot open the doors, even from the inside - if someone broke the glass they wouldn't be able to open the car. According to the owners manual, they arm automatically 25 seconds after locking with the remote and they can only be deactivated with the remote (if they are working properly).
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 09:30   #15
brian1912

Mines seems to work fine apart from a screech from the drivers side back door in Volvo just now waiting to see what they say fingers crossed its ok I priced the part yesterday it was£210 plus vat
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 10:30   #16
brian1912

Volvo tech says my noise is normal and there's no codes showing still think there's a noise coming from one door but hey ho
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 07:57   #17
chrisdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1912 View Post
Volvo tech says my noise is normal and there's no codes showing still think there's a noise coming from one door but hey ho
With all due respect to the Volvo tech, i think he's wrong. A "soft clunk" as the locks engage is all you should hear and it should sound the same for all doors as they all have a deadlock. My ex g/f also has a V50 and hers does not make the screeching sound. In my case, when i mentioned the sound to Volvo, they knew straight away what it was. At that time, i had no idea what a deadlock was as i hadn't read the manual yet. Going to the car and listening to it was just a formality - to ascertain which door it was coming from.

With regard to error codes, at that time there were no warnings from the info centre. We soon became aware that rear seat passengers could not open the doors from inside. I realised it must be because the child locks had been activated. The moment i deactivated them (had to read the manual first) i got a warning that there was a problem with the locks.

It seems to be a common problem and evidently lots of people choose to live with it. Apart from making it harder for someone to steal your car, the main reason i'd get it/them replaced would be to prevent someone from being trapped in the car in the event of an accident - if for some reason the faulty lock failed to release when you unlocked the car at the start of the journey.

If the deadlock is a separate item from the main lock, it may be possible to remove it altogether - or deactivate it by disconnecting a wire?? This would save some $$$ and not compromise anyone’s safety. I'll ask to see the faulty part when i get my other lock done and let you know.
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisdc For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 09:20   #18
brian1912

That's exactly what I said chris it only seems to be from the one door the back drivers side one to be honest I've rarely got anyone in the back of mine but still wouldn't like to take the chance
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 08:23   #19
chrisdc

Right, had the other rear door deadlock replaced yesterday. Was covered by the warranty. They gave me a copy of the invoice and the lock was something like ZAR 1358.00 and the labour ZAR 600.00. Apparently its all one unit so cannot be bypassed or disconnected.

And would you believe it? I still have the "screeching" sound, albeit quieter - now from the front door locks!
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 13:37   #20
brian1912

Your having as much luck as me chris