Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Service costs

Views : 39660

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:35   #21
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I have just had a reply from my local Ford dealer. (I thought I would stick with an authorised dealer at this point rather than a complete independent. No great reason for this, other than the obvious crossover links between the S40 and the Focus) They have quoted £145 for my S40 2.0D service compared to the Volvo dealer at £295. £150 difference!! Volvo can stick it.

Two questions raised by the Ford dealer were 1/ is there an issue with re-setting the service light? 2/ the vehicle may need a body inspection which can probably only be carried by the dealer to keep the corrosion warranty valid

Any responses on those two issues? This may need to be set up as a separate thread so as not to distract from this one. Please let me know if that is the case. However I think it does link to this as other people may face the same question from other non Volvo dealers.

Can someone please confirm that this is the correct way to reset a 2008 S40 service required button. If so that answers the first question. (I have copied this from another thread)

Ensure all doors are closed

Turn ignition key to Position 1

Press and hold reset button [bottom left]

Immediately turn ignition key to Position 11 [within 2 seconds]

Keep the reset button depressed until service message has been reset.

A yellow warning light will illuminate, [large yellow info icon],
when it is time to release the button.

Release reset button within 4 seconds - there will be an audible
signal when the reset is complete.

If the reset button is not released within 4 seconds, the service
level indicator will not reset.

Last edited by Harvey1512; Jan 23rd, 2009 at 12:44. Reason: The information added was found elsewhere on the site and should be helpful
Harvey1512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 13:12   #22
Bernard333
Premier Member

The body corrosion warranty is worth zero so forget about that because you are never going to need it , my2003 V70 has patches of bare metal due to scrapes going back a few years which I have never had the time to get fixed and there is not even the slighest sign of it going rusty so I am not going to bother , the only sign of corrosion is on the top of the slam panel where the bonnet comes down and thats my fault for only cleaning the car once a year , the most recent car I have seen have corrosion problems is a 98 fiesta we own which I can see will need me to buy a welding set.
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 14:19   #23
John_C
Allons-y!

Personally I would just go straight back to Volvo and tell them you know the 2.0D is shared with the Focus and a Ford dealer has told you they will do a service to the Volvo schedule at that price and see what they say.

Then you hopefully get the cheap price and no chance of hassle if you ever have to make a warranty claim.
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 12:44   #24
7050man
Master Member

Just to add my twopenneth; If your car has E4 with Particulate filter, then service costs for the 75K, will not be that much different (over£1000). So Ford/ Volvo comparison is negated.

My advice on service are these;
1 shop around with dealers - they do vary in costs considerably.

2. If you can get agreement, then supply your own oil. Halfords Ford spec 5w30 is £20 for 5ltrs at present, much cheaper than Volvo.

3. Before buying a car, go to a dealer and ask for service costs up to say 100k miles. VW/Audi are just as expensive and BMW don't actually give you a figure "it's all done on the key fob sir!", but I know it's about £200 for an oil change on a 320d.

Finally, Volvo servicing is expensive , but you do get professional customer orientated treatment in my opion.

Point here is that when everything works fine then you may well ask why do you pay so much. When the car has a fault then I would rather be at my Volvo dealer than a Ford one, that's for sure.

Last edited by 7050man; Jan 25th, 2009 at 12:50.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 18:35   #25
harryson0605

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
I've just been quoted £295 for a 12,000 mile service on my S40. Ouch. Can I go to another dealer? Not really as there are only 3 Volvo dealers in the NE of England and they are all the same company. No competition at all. I would have to travel over 100 miles to find an alternative

When a service is around 2.5 times the cost of any other service I have had with another make of car I feel pretty ripped off. My own stupid fault for not checking this out earlier but it is not impressive from Volvo either. You live & learn.
is this the first 12000 mile service or a 12000 mile interval, the only reason i ask is that i have just had a 36000 mile service on my s40 2.0 sport. i was quoted £400, £369, £329 and the lowest £300 all at volvo dealerships, so it is worth some phoning about. my main point, however, is that a 36000 mile service includes extra work ie renew air filter and diesel fuel filter etc, so this service is more costly, i think i did well with £300 although its still xxxx expensive.
harryson0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 18:59   #26
Harvey1512
Premier Member

In reply to the last comment the quote for £295 was for a 12,000 mile service, not a 12,000 mile interval. Banditry of the first order.
I appreciate service cost is partly dependent on the amount of work and parts that are involved but that type of price is ripping people off based on a brand name. Well done Brussels for opening up the market.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 21:36   #27
cols21

dealers will allways do deals but remember they pay over £200 pounds a month for a computer to look after your car and who looks after you car if all goes wrong. you car is all so check for service up dates which will not be done at any our garage as these days there are sofeware updates done to your car and you dont even know.
cols21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 09:28   #28
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I don't mind paying a fair price for any job but when a main dealer is charging twice the price for the same service compared to another main dealer, admittedly a Ford and therefore non Volvo, then something is wrong. Also I would reiterate that having had Citroens, Vauxhalls and Seats previously, all equivalent ages and engine sizes, the bill for this 1st service is more than double the cost that I have paid at any one of those main dealers. How can that be justified? They also have computers to be paid for, staff to be trained etc.

I repeat again that I cannot trade one Volvo dealer against another as in the North East there are 3 Volvo garages and they are all the same dealer. They have a monopoly

I am not condemning anyone who wants to stick with the Volvo dealer, I would far rather do that as I have with every other car that I have owned but I will not be ripped off.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 12:04   #29
southportvolvo
Trader

Smile C30 Service Costs

We charge a standard service price of £165.00 inclusive of parts, labour & VAT.

If it requires 0w30 Oil (D5 engine), we charge £185.00 inclusive.

We follow the same schedule as the Volvo dealer and use genuine Volvo parts, we also remove the wheels, check the brakes & copper-slip the hubs (unlike most dealers who inspect the brakes through the wheel with a torch!)

We have Volvo factory trained technicians with over 40 years of dealership experience.

The pollen filter is additional and only really needs to be changed on the 2nd year.
southportvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 12:41   #30
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Southportvolvo - Top Man

That is a fair price and clearly offers the minimum of at least an equal service as that of a Volvo dealer. It shows what is possible and available. I accept that a Volvo dealer may slip an extra £50 or so on top so pay for the glamour of a dealership but up to £295? No thanks.

I am only sorry I live 200 miles away.