Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo s40/v50 Audio System.

Views : 39560

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 18:10   #1
dalerobinsuk

Default Volvo s40/v50 Audio System.

Hi All,

I'm looking to order a new volvo v50 or s40 this week, as I don't have a volvo dealer in my area i'm unable to find a few things out and the volvo website seems a bit limited in information .

Firstly, how good is the standard "performance audio system" how many speakers does it actually have, what is the sound quality like and can you get a usb interface for it? Is it worth the extra £500 for the "high performance system"

I'm stuck at picking a colour and the display on my computer does not really give a true reprensentation of what it will look like in real life, "electric inscription silver" sounds nice, does anyone have any opinions?.

Many thanks,
Dale
dalerobinsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 18:57   #2
Guru
Premier Member

Hi, congrats on your decision to buy a Volvo

I have the Performance setup in my 2004, and the sound quality is superb! I'm sure it's even better in the newer models with default AUX/mp3 support. iPod support is an option.

And my car is also electric silver, but as you said, you'll have to see it in person to decide on whether you like or not.

Here's what i found on Volvo's international web page about the audio systems>

Performance audio system
Integrated into the car's centre console, there's nothing average about our standard Performance audio system. It includes an advanced RDS radio, giving you access to up-to-date traffic information, a CD player, four loudspeakers specially designed to suit the car's acoustic profile and a 4 x 20 W amplifier. Plus – as you'd expect – the ergonomically designed buttons and intuitively navigable functions make it easy for you to keep your eyes on the road. There is also an auxiliary input you can use to connect your MP3 player to the audio system.

Options: Steering wheel remote control, USB and iPod® Music Interface is available as an accessory.

High Performance audio system
A powerfully versatile system. Each loudspeaker is fitted with a more powerful magnet and a larger coil. In combination with the amplifier, this system promotes excellent transient reproduction and high power – quite simply superb sound.

High Performance equipment includes: RDS radio, MP3 and WMA compatible CD player, USB, 4x40 W High Performance amplifier, 8 High Performance loudspeakers

Options: Steering wheel integrated controls. A 6-CD changer is available (replaces the CD player) – this option deletes the USB input, but a USB and iPod® Music Interface (accessory) can be added.

Premium Sound audio system with Dynaudio
The Premium sound system is probably the best in class. For truly discerning listeners, this system delivers world-class sound with Dolby® Pro Logic® II surround sound. The twelve Dynaudio loudspeakers are specially designed to give you the very best audio reproduction in your Volvo and, combined with the powerful amplifier, they offer you natural sound at all volume levels. With the Premium sound system, centre loudspeaker and sophisticated sound processing calibrated specifically for your Volvo, you and your passengers will experience a full range of sound and a well-balanced stereo image no matter where one sits.

Components include: RDS radio, MP3 and WMA compatible CD player, separate 5x130 W D-class digital amplifier, 130 W centre speaker, Dolby Pro Logic® II surround sound, 12 Dynaudio Loudspeakers, USB and AUX input in front centre armrest

Options: Steering wheel integrated controls. A 6-CD changer is available (replaces the CD player) – this option deletes the USB input, but a USB and iPod® Music Interface (accessory) can be added.

For more info click http://www.volvocars.com/intl/All-Ca...Equipment.aspx then in Tech & Sound click audio.

Last edited by Guru; Jul 3rd, 2009 at 19:00.
Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Guru For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 19:32   #3
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

My front left passenger speaker doesnt work, so I'm down to 5 speakers, and the audio quality is STILL better than my previous car.
fenton_jd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 21:01   #4
dalerobinsuk

Fenton ID, what version is your audio system?.

Guru, it states 4 speakers for the "performance audio" system, but some places on the website it states 6?. If it doesn't have front tweeters I don't want it, can anyone confirm what it actually comes with.

Many thanks,
Dale
Old Jul 4th, 2009, 01:26   #5
V50 Adie

Cool

Hi,

How do I know which version of the audio system I have in my car? When I switch mine on I got a picture of the V50 on the display before the cd / radio station info. Also when listening to the radio, for example Smooth FM the display scrolls through the name of the artist and song title currently playing. My audio system also has the "cd" button and on some models I have seen this button say "mode" on it. I presume all of this adds up to which system I have. Also I don't have steering wheel controls.
V50 Adie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2009, 01:33   #6
V50 Adie

Cool

Forgot to say on other post that I have 2 speakers in each door.
V50 Adie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2009, 05:38   #7
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

- Performance Sound (basic) is 4x loudspeakers and 2x front tweeters.
- High performance sound is 8x speakers, as above but with two extra midrange speakers up front.
- Premium Sound has 11 speakers (rear door tweeers and a centra dashboard speaker) +Sub & amp with dolby pro logic II sound proccessing
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fenton_jd For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2009, 23:23   #8
jonmorris

I have the high performance audio system and a 09MY car, delivered in July 08 (so one of the first).

I don't have the USB socket - or am I looking for it in the wrong place?

Did they add this during the 09MY builds or did they make a mistake in the very early models? USB would be ideal, and even better than an iPod connection.

I have a 3.5mm audio-in socket.
jonmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 00:36   #9
dalerobinsuk

I had a listen to the "performance audio" today in a car at the dealers, granted I could only listen to the radio, but it sounded quite wooly and bass heavy with distinct lack of higher frequencies. Obviously the cd should sound a lot better, but I guess i've been spoiled with the becker factory system in the last car which the radio sounds superior to anything i've heard in a car. I hope the "high performance" sounds better!, i'll have to find a car with it in to listen to.

Also, the dealer said if I order a s40/v50 now I wont get one till october!?!?, thats a long wait.

Last edited by dalerobinsuk; Jul 5th, 2009 at 00:39.
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 17:05   #10
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalerobinsuk View Post
I had a listen to the "performance audio" today in a car at the dealers, granted I could only listen to the radio, but it sounded quite wooly and bass heavy with distinct lack of higher frequencies. Obviously the cd should sound a lot better, but I guess i've been spoiled with the becker factory system in the last car which the radio sounds superior to anything i've heard in a car. I hope the "high performance" sounds better!, i'll have to find a car with it in to listen to.

Also, the dealer said if I order a s40/v50 now I wont get one till october!?!?, thats a long wait.
I know what you mean with the radio.... It does sound quite good with a decent quality CD. Shame theres no kind of EQ options on the standard sound setup.