Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vodafone 100GB SIM not working

Views : 24009

Replies : 151

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 12th, 2019, 19:01   #61
xsaab
Master Member

I collected my new XC60 B5 yesterday. There are several new features eg the electronic P -Park button on the gear box / lever - in fact the gear change process appears to be quite different in this vehicle compared to previous vehicles however we did not get round to discussing this due to the lengh of time it took to set up the userids and passwords for the Vodafone Sim and the associated incar WiFi plus my VOC id and password was changed.

This involved a significant amount of key pressing on the phone to create and re enter the information.
Being subject to generating new userids and passwords (that had to be very secure) and remembering them to re enter them took a lot of time - I am not very fast at phone typing coupled with my shaky hand so this was a very frustrating process. It would have helped if the list of the required ids and passwords were provided so one could write them down to get the initial setup carried out in a sensible amount of time.

Thanks to this Vodafone Sim the handover process was very tedious and time consuming.

Come feedback being requested this will be my major moan.
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2019, 12:42   #62
xsaab
Master Member

However it all appears to be working well.
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 11:11   #63
fullfast

have today put my Sky Sim into the internal modem and after changing the APN to mobile.sky all works fine

have managed to get a 10GB per month deal for a fiver so happy days and Spotify all the way
fullfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 16:07   #64
Begonia

Hmmm? I don't get a 'Globe' appearing on the Sensus screen top LHS.

But I do get what appears to be a tiny picture of a SIM card appearing instead.

The Network box also says "Vodafone'

I also have a fairly complicated Network Name appearing along the lines of: "MyVolvoA11bbC"

And I also have a Password appearing along the lines of "AA1b234CC5d"

I haven't filled these in, so where have they come from?

I've had to give up on this because I'm getting deviations outside of the Instructions which are utterly confusing me.

I dont like this 'wait for 5 minutes stuff' either. I ended up 'waiting for 5 minutes +' for about 4 times. Grrr! Still no Internet Globe - but, as I say, I did get a tiny picture of a SIM card.

I also wonder if the Dealer has had a go at this stuff in my new car, failed on it, and I'm inheriting his Network Name and Password as above.
Begonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 16:19   #65
MtillingVolvo
Sales Monkey @Volvo Npton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begonia View Post
Hmmm? I don't get a 'Globe' appearing on the Sensus screen top LHS.

But I do get what appears to be a tiny picture of a SIM card appearing instead.

The Network box also says "Vodafone'

I also have a fairly complicated Network Name appearing along the lines of: "MyVolvoA11bbC"

And I also have a Password appearing along the lines of "AA1b234CC5d"

I haven't filled these in, so where have they come from?

I've had to give up on this because I'm getting deviations outside of the Instructions which are utterly confusing me.

I dont like this 'wait for 5 minutes stuff' either. I ended up 'waiting for 5 minutes +' for about 4 times. Grrr! Still no Internet Globe - but, as I say, I did get a tiny picture of a SIM card.

I also wonder if the Dealer has had a go at this stuff in my new car, failed on it, and I'm inheriting his Network Name and Password as above.
The network names (which is to do with the Wi-Fi Network you can have the car share out) are set up to the above kind of format as default.

I'd advise popping in to your supplying dealer (or come by and see me if you're passing, although only in Mon-Fri) and see if they/I can sort it for you.

The most important bit is that all the settings are absolutely spot on.

Also, did you try this bit, as until the Globe symbol is up there is no point in trying to attach to your WiFi and continue the rest of the setup:

"If the Globe does not appear, you may need to force it to look for a connection. To do this, connect the vehicle to a stable internet source (eg. phone with hotspot turned on or wifi), wait for the globe to appear, then go back into Settings → Communication → Car Modem Internet and re-tick the box. The globe should then appear, using the P-SIM connection instead"

Kind Regards

Marc

Main Dealer Based in Northampton
mtilling@bellsmotorgroup.co.uk

Last edited by MtillingVolvo; Oct 17th, 2019 at 16:23.
MtillingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 16:54   #66
volvo s60 2001

The Network name and the password can be changed with whatever you want! Just press the X at the end and put something which you like 😉 and confirm it 👍
volvo s60 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 21:11   #67
Begonia

I'm pretty sure, that my problem was, that I was trying to do this in an area where my WiFi signal was rubbish.

I'm going to go to a better area, park up and give it another go.
Begonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 21:20   #68
MtillingVolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begonia View Post
I'm pretty sure, that my problem was, that I was trying to do this in an area where my WiFi signal was rubbish.

I'm going to go to a better area, park up and give it another go.
The WiFi you were referring to earlier with the standard kind of username/password is the one being generated by the car itself.

You need to get the car to a position where it is showing the globe symbol before connecting your phone to the cars WiFi and continuing the setup via the Vodafone website (while connected to the in car WiFi)....

Offer is there for me to help you out if you're in the area as can be tricky to try and explain it remotely

Old Oct 17th, 2019, 23:50   #69
MattDell

My supplying dealer sent me away with a print off of the steps on page 1 and I only finally found some spare time to do it today. I’m on a 69 plate, MY2020.

I get the SIM card symbol and several bars of service but never get the globe icon. I also tried to connect the car to my phone, which does result in a globe icon, but after swapping back to the car modem a few times and waiting 5+ minutes the globe never appears.

MattDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2019, 08:14   #70
MtillingVolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDell View Post
My supplying dealer sent me away with a print off of the steps on page 1 and I only finally found some spare time to do it today. I’m on a 69 plate, MY2020.

I get the SIM card symbol and several bars of service but never get the globe icon. I also tried to connect the car to my phone, which does result in a globe icon, but after swapping back to the car modem a few times and waiting 5+ minutes the globe never appears.
Hi,

I've just had a look at the instructions and the first page only covers physically installing the SIM, not all the settings required to get it to work....

Have you been in and set up the APN address and unticked automatically detect on the Network settings? The full 3 page instructions are on page one of this thread.

Kind Regards

Marc