Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Map update

Views : 3301

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 11th, 2019, 09:42   #21
James77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotia64 View Post
Obviously I’m new to all this , I think it’s great that you can still use the map while updating it via usb.
The down side is I tried to put an update for France & Germany on the same stick thinking once one was downloaded the other would start. But you can only have 1 map on the usb stick at a time. Bit of a bummer. I don’t think it’s worth buying a massive usb stick to update the whole map as it would take days to install.
Others have said that cherry-picking a few territories isn't effective and it's best to update the full 64gd or simply keep the home region up to date OTA of via a WIFI hotspot.
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 09:51   #22
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James77 View Post
Yes I can confirm another update NWE updating OTA.

So much for 2/3 times a year!

It takes a couple of hours to download the full 60+gb, Volvo need to sort their sh*t out!
It takes 50 minutes to download the full europe 50gb map file from a USB memory stick . no big deal as you can do it whilst driving and if you stop it will carry on when you restart your journey ......
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 09:54   #23
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
I don't think moaning it the right term. Updates are great to have and of course welcome, however, the volume of updates is a tad excessive. A bi-annual update or even thrice yearly is quite adequate particularly if you go to the trouble of downloading the full 64gd update on a stick (which is time consuming) only to find a further update is released a few weeks later.

Smacks of a lack of common sense.
remember these are the maps that are loaded into new cars at PDI so they need to be fairly up to date for the new owner to drive away with ...

you don't need to update them more than once a year on your own car do you :-) I guess the new "FREE" map available news encourages you to !
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 09:58   #24
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNiceBut View Post
I've never tried using the map while it's updating. I didn't think it would be possible.

As for taking days to install, that's a slight exaggeration. 2-3 hours is more like it and my Samsung 64Gb USB stick cost under £14 from Amazon.

USB Stick
You CAN use navigation whilst updating if you are updating a single region, but you cannot use navigation whilst you are updating the whole of Europe map.
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 10:04   #25
TimNiceBut

Quote:
I don't think moaning it the right term. Updates are great to have and of course welcome, however, the volume of updates is a tad excessive. A bi-annual update or even thrice yearly is quite adequate particularly if you go to the trouble of downloading the full 64gd update on a stick (which is time consuming) only to find a further update is released a few weeks later.

We can agree to differ on the term. ;-)

Keeping fully up to date at every opportunity smacks of a good deal of common sense, with all the new builds going on around the country. And downloading the map to USB is hardly time consuming.

Plug in empty USB stick, open Map Updater App, select USB stick for download destination and move on to other things. Come back later and remove USB stick from Mac / PC, plug into car USB socket and let it do its thing.
TimNiceBut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TimNiceBut For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 10:06   #26
TimNiceBut

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwatcher View Post
You CAN use navigation whilst updating if you are updating a single region, but you cannot use navigation whilst you are updating the whole of Europe map.
OK, thanks for the info. I always update the full map so not much use to me, but still good for others to know.
TimNiceBut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TimNiceBut For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 10:46   #27
Scotia64

I use an old usb 10gb stick to transfer maps , I’ve no idea what speed that it runs & it took the map of France a good couple of hours & that was something like 4gb.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scotia64 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 11:10   #28
Hogster

Get a new USB stick I downloaded the full Europe map update (49GB) and it took around an hour to update, spread over two journeys.
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 11:16   #29
airforced

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNiceBut View Post
I can't believe that people are moaning about getting regular FREE map updates that you can actually install yourself at your leisure!

Of course, you can always choose NOT to install them....
I too am perplexed by the moans and groans about these updates and their frequency. Previously I ran Mercs and even with their less frequent updates it was always a challange to get the dealer to do the update whilst the car was in for service. There usually was a reason why it couldn't be done, STAR unavailable usually) which meant a return visit (80 mile round trip for me) so I'm not complaining about the Volvo self-service map update system. Mind you I did have a rubbish Merc dealer in York.
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 13:20   #30
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:

Ignore them then and only update your maps two or three times a year, simple. You don't have to use this great free service that so many of us appreciate,
I have my car set to auto update, no effort required, it just does it in the background all by itself. I only use NWE.
If a road or crossing or new layout is not on the maps some people complain, if map is updated to show the new roads or crossing some people complain about the update, Volvo cant win.
I would rather have regular updates than out of date maps or worse Volvo stopping them due to people complaining.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post: