Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What I did today thread...

Views : 321811

Replies : 3013

Users Viewing This Thread : Nick6262, stuart bowes

Old Feb 19th, 2019, 20:51   #1761
Theeggman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discombobulated View Post
Today I picked up my car from its MOT, only £480 for 2 rear springs, rear brake overhaul and 2 front brake flexi’s I did think about part exchanging it against a Ferrari 488 Pista but then remembered the 488 doesn’t have a clip to hold your parking ticket against the windscreen, so I’ll stick with the S60 for another year.
Welcome to my world, in our other car I have to keep a plastic bull-dog clip for parking tickets as they blow to the bottom of the screen and hide under the black dots to become invisible legally. Why don't other car makers follow the big V?

2005 XC70 Auto. Now Sold.
Theeggman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Theeggman For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 21:43   #1762
Discombobulated
Impressive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theeggman View Post
Welcome to my world, in our other car I have to keep a plastic bull-dog clip for parking tickets as they blow to the bottom of the screen and hide under the black dots to become invisible legally. Why don't other car makers follow the big V?
I never thought of doing that, maybe I should get the Ferrari....
Discombobulated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 22:04   #1763
XCR
Master Member

Today I removed and dismantled my headlights.
I gently rubbed down the perished surface of the reflectors before priming and finishing in gloss black.
They are currently baking overnight before being chrome painted in the morning.
Fingers crossed I'll achieve the finish I want.....and that it will last.
Either way they'll look a hell of a lot better than before, thats for sure.
XCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 22:26   #1764
Sojournermike

Last week I had the oil, filter, fuel filter and air filter changed, and the rear discs swapped and brake fluid replaced. Plus a check over everything - still the same advisories.

This weekend I replaced the very very clouded bi xenon (2006!reflective vintage) headlights with a set of halogen units. I’m now working on a fix for the ‘headlight failure’ warning. I think I may have it dissed, and will write up a note if i succeed.

Next on to get my VIDA set up and read the codes that underlie my ‘engine service required’ message - I’m convinced it’s either egr or vnt that needs cleaning. Obviously needs done before mot as it will fail if it lights up on the day.

Also cleaned it after fitting headlights - that made it drive better
Sojournermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 23:12   #1765
abdiel
VOC Member

Default Headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR View Post
Today I removed and dismantled my headlights.
I gently rubbed down the perished surface of the reflectors before priming and finishing in gloss black.
They are currently baking overnight before being chrome painted in the morning.
Fingers crossed I'll achieve the finish I want.....and that it will last.
Either way they'll look a hell of a lot better than before, thats for sure.
Any chance of some pictures?
regards, Phil.
abdiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 00:31   #1766
XCR
Master Member

Sure Phil,
the last stage is the chrome painting and reassembly.
I'll take some final pictures of the results and post them here along with others from the various stages.
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 17:50   #1767
ASt85
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discombobulated View Post
Today I picked up my car from its MOT, only £480 for 2 rear springs, rear brake overhaul and 2 front brake flexi’s I did think about part exchanging it against a Ferrari 488 Pista but then remembered the 488 doesn’t have a clip to hold your parking ticket against the windscreen, so I’ll stick with the S60 for another year.

What a brilliant post!!!

The V70 is the only one where I can ever find the ball point!!!!!!!!

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 21:36   #1768
XCR
Master Member

Default Headlight refresh (with pics !)

My headlight reflectors were doing a poor job of illuminating the road ahead with dark country lanes at speed proving a hairy experience....so something had to be done.....

I'd looked in all the usual places for a nice pair of late C70 headlamps but to no avail and the aftermarket alternatives seemed expensive, bewildering and of an unknown quality - so I thought I'd have a go at restoring my own reflectors and also treat the car to some Osram Nightbreaker bulbs and fresh indicator units with silvered bulbs.

This is what I did....
The first job was to remove the indicator units by pressing down on the clip (look from above with the bonnet open) with a flathead and ease the unit towards the front of the car. These tend to release quite quickly so consider protecting your bumpers paintwork with a couple of strips of masking tape.
Then its onto the headlights which is a surprisingly easy removal job.
Just three 10mm bolts once you've unclipped the power supply lead and the supply to the adjustment motor.

Once on the bench, gently undo the eight metal clips using a flathead screwdriver to separate the glass lenses from the units along with the single torx screw which attaches the little wiper blade rest.

Remove the two rear access covers and their seals and set aside your bulbs.

Now is a good time to give everything a good clean and check for damage.
I used Aerospace Protectant 303 to rejuvenate the seals. If yours are split, now is a good time to replace them.

Your reflectors may look something like this......grey and rough and with little of the reflective surface remaining

So now its time to rub down every nook and cranny with a grey abrasive pad.
Go gently, blow away the dust and examine the surface. The smoother your prep, the smoother the finish.

I used a small soft brush to remove the remaining dust, and finished with a tack rag before masking off the central aluminium bulb surround and the outer edges of the assembly. I also stuffed a little paper towel in the bulb holes to prevent spray travelling through.

I then used a mid grey primer by U-Pol. Lots of light passes and allowed to dry well.

Once completely dry, you should flat the surface gently. I used a small square of 800 grit and a tack cloth to finish.
Then its on with the gloss black. Three or four coats with 15 mins in between.

Allow this to dry overnight if you can. The longer the better.

Then, several coats of the 'Chrome' paint.
I've yet to find a great chrome paint.
Does it even exist ?!!!
When wet it was almost like a mirror. Once dry, somewhat less so.
Imagine breathing on a chrome bumper. Its that kind of effect.

Once completely dry, reassemble carefully and test your 'new' lamps !
Cost - under a tenner.

Good luck guys !
Mark.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to XCR For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 03:00   #1769
XCR
Master Member

Default Steering wheel refurbish

Its been a busy couple of days Volvo wise. Taking advantage of a warm and still day I decided to sort out the terrible steering wheel. Awful to the touch, the leather surface had all but worn away revealing the grey-green rough raw leather.
But what to do ? There are kits to stitch on with a two needle method which look great and are genuine hide, but the profile of the leather rim on my wheel is not straightforward with a couple of awkward shapes so plan B was to paint it.
Yes. Paint it.

The first job was to scrub away 22 years of hand applied dirt from the various previous owners. I did this with a small scrub brush and Gliptone's Leather Cleaner followed by wrapping the wheel in a hot damp towel. This swells the leather and allows more of the dirt to be absorbed.
Once dry I used 800 grit Wet and dry paper (used dry) to smooth the surface.

I then masked the parts of the wheel I wanted unpainted and used copious quantities of painters sheeting to protect the dash, screen and surrounding areas.

I scoured the 'net and found the best option to be a can of TRG Super Colour.
Specifically for leather, this paint remains flexible once dry and comes in a range of colours. With hindsight I should have ordered a shade darker as this has dried lighter than I would have liked, but its not too far off the tone of the door cards.

Around three to four coats with ten mins drying time between.

And finally the finished product.
A little shiny but this is already dulling to a more natural surface.

Next step will be the seats which will be tackled when I can be certain of good weather. I plan to use a repair kit as theres a hole in the bolster and to address the minor cracks with a special flexible filler before recolouring.....
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 18:35   #1770
sparkeysteve

well parts arrived so wish me luck in getting the bits fitted without much bloodshed