Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlights - Active high beam vs Adaptive Shadow Technology

Views : 31180

Replies : 133

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2017, 11:14   #21
Torshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN View Post
...the high beam instrument symbol lights blue when high beam is on and grey when off
Thanks... So that symbol changes between blue and grey automatically, without you touching anything? Or do you just mean that you effectively have high beam on all the time, so it's blue all the time unless high beams are off? Apologies for all the questions, I'm sure all this will be obvious when I take delivery, just being inquisitive.
Torshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2017, 12:51   #22
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torshen View Post
so it's blue all the time unless high beams are off?
Can't say I've actually noticed but I think that's the case. What's definite is that when it detects street lights it switches to normal dipped beam and I'm fairly sure the blue icon is then extinguished.

I had my doubts as to whether the system would react fast enough to other vehicles but it works extremely well. I've never been flashed and the way the beam adapts is very impressive.
Old Jan 17th, 2017, 12:53   #23
Torshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
Can't say I've actually noticed but I think that's the case. What's definite is that when it detects street lights it switches to normal dipped beam and I'm fairly sure the blue icon is then extinguished.

I had my doubts as to whether the system would react fast enough to other vehicles but it works extremely well. I've never been flashed and the way the beam adapts is very impressive.
Cool, now going to see if I can find a YouTube vid that shows it in action well enough. thanks.
XC90 D5 Momentum (MY18), Osmium Grey, 22" wheels, Blond nappa, Winter + HUD, Xenium, Illumination, Family, Seat Pack, 12.3" display, 230v 3-pin, Heated rear seats, Tinted, CarPlay, Side running boards, Thinkware F770 F+R
Old Jan 17th, 2017, 13:05   #24
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torshen View Post
Cool, now going to see if I can find a YouTube vid that shows it in action well enough. thanks.
Ive got this on my XC60 and believe me it's absolutely brilliant, in more ways than one.
Old Jan 17th, 2017, 13:12   #25
niavlysj

On the XC90, it is still a mechanical system, it will be also different with the new digital systems
Old Jan 17th, 2017, 13:35   #26
FooMan
First time Volvo owner

I'm sure a member posted a video of it i action, but I can't find the thread.
Old Jan 17th, 2017, 14:15   #27
Lexman8
Premier Member

I posted this previously: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSIegFgze3s
Old Jan 17th, 2017, 14:25   #28
Torshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
Yeah, I watched that one but I was after a real-life video of it in action rather than a CGI illustration of the principle really.
XC90 D5 Momentum (MY18), Osmium Grey, 22" wheels, Blond nappa, Winter + HUD, Xenium, Illumination, Family, Seat Pack, 12.3" display, 230v 3-pin, Heated rear seats, Tinted, CarPlay, Side running boards, Thinkware F770 F+R
Old Jan 17th, 2017, 14:50   #29
FooMan
First time Volvo owner

The one I am thinking of was a real life on board one - driving down country lanes coming to a junction following another car etc. I am sure they were driving on the left. It really showed how well it worked. I have searched here and on Swedespeed, but cannot find it. Perhaps it was on the now defunct Volvo support forum.
Old Jan 17th, 2017, 16:51   #30
niavlysj

like that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGgOrUqxSSA
(found quickly on youtube)