Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Leather quality

Views : 17654

Replies : 178

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 9th, 2016, 14:24   #21
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

I personally quite like LTT (Mrs Bass knows her stuff there) and equally so does Darren at Dr Leather.

Regarding cleaning both of the companies mentioned supply good cleaning products - if pushed I prefer Darren's as the wipes are good for "regular" cleaning in being much quicker and simpler to use LTT's is good but a bit more time consuming to use. For more in depth cleaning then either of their products are good, I currently have the Dr Leather bottled cleaner though.

Equally both of their sealants are good, LTT is probably more cost effective though, Dr Leather if you get it from the wrong sources can be almost double of other sources (Polished Bliss have it for around £30, other places it is nudging £40 and I found some even higher before delivery is taken into account).

I have never tried Volvo's directly, but the premise of the kit is exactly the same as the others mentioned.

Beyond that I have tried the whole "APC" route for cleaning leather, but it is far more risky and a dedicated cleaner is probably better for more regular cleaning as well. Protection wise I have tried Gtechniq L1, but went back to LTT and Dr Leather...

Ultimately regarding modern leather the treatment "cycle" has not changed, you are better doing gentle, little and often rather than being overly aggressive in one hit, similar to the rest of detailing. The only "major" difference is the products used overall.

Last edited by Ninja59; Nov 9th, 2016 at 14:26.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninja59 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2016, 15:53   #22
neon
Premier Member

I have flagged to the dealer that the nappa leather on the side bolsters on the base of my sports contour seats is creasing a lot on the side near the door after 2500 miles. I am trying to avoid as much as poss sitting on it when getting in and out of car but it is unavoidable. I have set up a memory button just for entry and exit so that is fully back and as low as poss.
Dealer said it was not bad enough yet to replace it but has logged it.
Old Nov 10th, 2016, 19:22   #23
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
I have flagged to the dealer that the nappa leather on the side bolsters on the base of my sports contour seats is creasing a lot on the side near the door after 2500 miles. I am trying to avoid as much as poss sitting on it when getting in and out of car but it is unavoidable. I have set up a memory button just for entry and exit so that is fully back and as low as poss.
If we can pick up on this after just two thousand miles, you think Volvo would have picked this problem up with their years of development and testing. Same goes for road noise as well.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2016, 20:46   #24
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
If we can pick up on this after just two thousand miles, you think Volvo would have picked this problem up with their years of development and testing. Same goes for road noise as well.
Does feel like it has been rushed to market and they are playing catch up. But I do admire them being brave with the design and technology and can put up with some niggles as long as they are being sorted.
Old Nov 11th, 2016, 09:02   #25
Razer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Is there any thread where you don't mention your road noise problem. Even if not related to the original post? Lol.
MY05 - S60 D5 SE (2006-2009)
Razer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2016, 09:16   #26
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer View Post
Is there any thread where you don't mention your road noise problem. Even if not related to the original post? Lol.
Thank you for bringing up the really bad road noise problem on the new XC90. It really is a problem that needs addressing.

P.S, please see latest posting on road noise thread. Very interesting.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Nov 11th, 2016 at 11:35.
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 17:18   #27
neon
Premier Member

Interesting discussion with the dealer today.
There is a bulletin out apparently for my seats and quality of leather for the base of the seat. It includes fitting new leather with more stitching, but Volvo are stating this should only be done to the seat affected, i.e. the drivers seat. I mentioned that I would not be comfortable if in any way the 2 seats do not match and also if the drivers seat has gone the passenger seat will do the same depending on how much it is used at some point.
He came back to me and said the instruction is only to complete the driver seat.
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 20:12   #28
marceloavg

Quote:
Do you mind posting pictures neon just so we can keep a track on ours
marceloavg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2016, 00:41   #29
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marceloavg View Post
Do you mind posting pictures neon just so we can keep a track on ours
Yes, I will try tomorrow.
Old Nov 17th, 2016, 00:48   #30
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes, I will try tomorrow.
How do you put photos in a message on the thread.