Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Flat Battery

Views : 15338

Replies : 173

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 26th, 2016, 23:07   #11
Jabbar40
Jabbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
Did you use the VOC app at all when you were away?
Thanks and didn't once use VOC whilst away.
Jabbar40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2016, 14:14   #12
nu11eaf
Premier Member

My Landrover Defender XS battery lasted 11 years before it failed to start and lasted another year after charging up for 24 hours, mainly only short runs. But used seat heaters and heated screens in winter and aircon in summer, hope I get the same service out of the new like for like genuine landrover replacement battery. Wonder how long my XC90 Battery will last.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2016, 15:46   #13
Lexman8
Premier Member

I left my car at the airport for 9 days and there were no battery warnings when I returned. I noticed however that start/stop didn't operate at all on the 45 minute journey home.
Old Dec 27th, 2016, 16:29   #14
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer View Post
Just had this message come up on my 3 day old car. Max journey we have done until this morning was about 20 minutes, with heated seats, steering wheel etc and also some time playing with sensus on my drive, so i guess this was to be expected based on the above. Slightly worrying though after just a few days, perhaps my other cars batteries were the same but they didnt have the ability to tell me.

Anyone know what power save mode actually is? Presume it shuts down non-essential services to maintain a charge to start your car
Go for a 1 hour drive (it's a new car, it's worth it)

Yes, Power Save mode is designed to disconnect non essential systems so that sufficient reserve capacity remains to start the vehicle
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2016, 18:00   #15
Razer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Go for a 1 hour drive (it's a new car, it's worth it)

Yes, Power Save mode is designed to disconnect non essential systems so that sufficient reserve capacity remains to start the vehicle
So, update from me, I did go for a drive 45min drive on Sunday (see my other thread) to top the battery up and didn't use the car at all yesterday. We decided to go out in the car and go somewhere for a walk this afternoon, got in the car and a message on the driver display popped up '12v battery low'. As the Volvo garage is only 2 miles down the road i popped in there on the way out to let them know, the service team advised they have seen this on other XC90's and it is likely one of the cars modules continuing to operate after the car has been turned off and drawing a current. It needs to go into the workshop, perhaps for several days to have the software looked at. With is being Christmas they are operating on skeleton staff so i cant take it in until 6th January (when im back at work) so not best pleased.

Be interested to see what other peoples dealers have said about this.

EDIT:

For reference:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...arning-message

Suggestion is that the November update introduced this issue.
MY05 - S60 D5 SE (2006-2009)

Last edited by Razer; Dec 28th, 2016 at 20:00.
Razer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2016, 20:52   #16
Jabbar40
Jabbar

Quote:
So, update from me, I did go for a drive 45min drive on Sunday (see my other thread) to top the battery up and didn't use the car at all yesterday. We decided to go out in the car and go somewhere for a walk this afternoon, got in the car and a message on the driver display popped up '12v battery low'. As the Volvo garage is only 2 miles down the road i popped in there on the way out to let them know, the service team advised they have seen this on other XC90's and it is likely one of the cars modules continuing to operate after the car has been turned off and drawing a current. It needs to go into the workshop, perhaps for several days to have the software looked at. With is being Christmas they are operating on skeleton staff so i cant take it in until 6th January (when im back at work) so not best pleased.

Be interested to see what other peoples dealers have said about this.

EDIT:

For reference:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...arning-message

Suggestion is that the November update introduced this issue.
Thanks for the update. After long conversation with Volvo customer services I'm booking my car into dealers next week for same reason. Will let you know what they say. Gotta say i am not impressed as a first time Volvo owner. Pretty awful service and substandard product are my initial observations.
Old Dec 28th, 2016, 20:55   #17
Razer

No problem, ive also sent an email to Customer care noting my unhappiness about the situation - custcare@volvocars.com (Note the person on swede speed mentioning theres was fixed for this issue which then disables remote start)

Out of curiosity, you say your original post said you've had the car three weeks and had one week on holiday, did you see the message in your first two weeks of ownership or were you driving the car every day in those two weeks?

Last edited by Razer; Dec 28th, 2016 at 20:58.
Old Dec 28th, 2016, 21:05   #18
Jabbar40
Jabbar

Quote:
No problem, ive also sent an email to Customer care noting my unhappiness about the situation - custcare@volvocars.com (Note the person on swede speed mentioning theres was fixed for this issue which then disables remote start)

Out of curiosity, you say your original post said you've had the car three weeks and had one week on holiday, did you see the message in your first two weeks of ownership or were you driving the car every day in those two weeks?
Thanks. Purchased car on 6th December and probably did around 300 miles up to 15th December (probably was in car every other day). Then drive to Manchester airport on morning of 16th December (60 miles from home). Returned on 23 December to a flat battery.
Old Dec 29th, 2016, 00:39   #19
Driver Dave

Unhappy

My previous XC90 never had the battery problems this car has, I am doing similar journeys to previously but every day I am getting the "low battery" warning.

Whilst I know the Phase 2 XC90 has much more electronics in it and that is a drain on the battery this is something that Volvo should have taken into consideration at the design stage and larger capacity batteries or a higher output alternator should have been fitted.

Thinking back my problems seemed to start around the time of the November update so perhaps the guys over on swedespeed have it right.

Hopefully it will get sorted on 3rd January.

I hope this isn't going to become another battle like the road noise.
Old Dec 29th, 2016, 10:52   #20
Razer

Had a call at 9am this morning to take my car in and have just got back from dropping it off. Will be in there at least until tomorrow, perhaps into next week (bank holidays of course in between). I asked if they knew what module it was and i was told it could be any...

Ive asked for an update tomorrow regardless of whether i get the car back so will keep you updated.

Drive Dave is yours MY17 too?