Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Which 185/80 R14 tyres do you use?

Views : 1755

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2019, 19:18   #11
novomobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
My experience of Barums is ok in the dry but crap in the wet. Know in the tyre trade as "ditch finders"
LOL...ditchfinder, thats a phrase that takes me back !...my old dad had a Riley Pathfinder in the 1950 s and his local garage called it the Riley Ditchfinder because of its poor roadholding.
novomobile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to novomobile For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 19:28   #12
novomobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
Yup, never experienced a barum thats not teflon in the wet. They are much better these days, but there are much much better for the money.

Its funny all the talk of 'owned by' yes they may be owned by, and may have a little trickle-down technology and manufacturing standards, but they are not, by any means, the same as the parent company. You get what you pay for to a greater extent.
Point to consider, Vredestein are owned by budget brand Apollo, but Vredestein are -better- tyres than apollo, infact apollo are working the other way and siphoning know-how and tech from the subsidiary.
Falken are part of sumitomo rubber, who own goodyear-dunlop, fulda are owned by goodyear, uniroyal are part of conti as are barum, bf Goodrich and kleber are part of michelin group, firestone and minerva are owned by bridgestone, and so-on. There are many others.
Your correct in saying you get what you pay for (Normally)...too many people expect Bentley quality at Fiat Panda price
novomobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 21:04   #13
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
Yup, never experienced a barum thats not teflon in the wet. They are much better these days, but there are much much better for the money.

Its funny all the talk of 'owned by' yes they may be owned by, and may have a little trickle-down technology and manufacturing standards, but they are not, by any means, the same as the parent company. You get what you pay for to a greater extent.
Point to consider, Vredestein are owned by budget brand Apollo, but Vredestein are -better- tyres than apollo, infact apollo are working the other way and siphoning know-how and tech from the subsidiary.
Falken are part of sumitomo rubber, who own goodyear-dunlop, fulda are owned by goodyear, uniroyal are part of conti as are barum, bf Goodrich and kleber are part of michelin group, firestone and minerva are owned by bridgestone, and so-on. There are many others.

Thats very true. Even looking at the F**d ownership of Volvo, F**d used some of the good bits of Volvo and used some of the cheapening down F**d methods in cheapening down Volvo manufacturing costs. Car quality is often subjective.

In many cases a parent company owning more than 1 brand teh parent company is often the only link. The factories often have no other connection
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 23:53   #14
Nicholas Lewin
newish member

AHKVolvo - I've just put a full set of winter Hankooks on my 240 - bought on the interweb and happily fitted by a good local tyre shop. Summer tyres are Hankooks on the front/spare and once the rubbish on the back are sufficiently worn, they'll be Hankooks too - very good tyres IMHO

Like ClassicSwede said, I am running 195/65/15s (on alloys)
Nicholas Lewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 23:41   #15
Volvo Jensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal optimist View Post
I used 195/70 14’s on my Torslander. Negligible difference in rolling radius, no scrubbing/fouling and a much better choice of tyre.
This dimention has 3,5% smaller rolling diameter, and will increase rpm with 3,7% (on top gear/highway). For example, 2700 rpm with 185/80x14, will increase to 2800, for the same speed.
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 23:56   #16
eternal optimist
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Jensen View Post
This dimention has 3,5% smaller rolling diameter, and will increase rpm with 3,7% (on top gear/highway). For example, 2700 rpm with 185/80x14, will increase to 2800, for the same speed.
Yes, that’s pretty much where I calculated it.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 00:08   #17
Volvo Jensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentepazza View Post
I do use 185/70/14. Chinese make. Surprisingly good. Found them in when I bought the car and still doing a great job.
5,7% smaller diameter, and 6,0% increase of rpm. Changing the differential gear would make a smaller difference!

If one changed a 3,54 diff to 3,73 , the rpm on the driveshaft would increase with 5,3%.
Go from 3,73 diff to 3,91 , increases rpm on driveshaft with 4,9%.
From 3,91 to 4,1 , also 4,9%.

I don't think it's a good idea if one care about engine wear, noise, and fuel consumption, at highway speeds.

Last edited by Volvo Jensen; Jan 18th, 2019 at 00:12.
Volvo Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 14:35   #18
Nicholas Lewin
newish member

AHKVolvo - just in case you don't know, there are loads of resources online that allow you to calculate speed differences and appearance/clearance differences of different tyre/wheel combinations...

Nick
Nicholas Lewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 23:34   #19
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Thanks all. In the end my search for 185/80 R14s was rather fruitless...all I found was one really low quality set of "house brand" tyres on eBay and some exceptionally expensive Vredesteins. All the rest were van tyres, as were what came off the car, as it transpires.

After all that, I went for a set of 175/80 R14s, which I chose as they were both spec tyre for 244s and pre PAS 245s. Got a set that were budget but not rock bottom budget, cost me just over £200 for all four fitted and balanced.

The car is absolutely transformed...SO much quieter and smoother. Road noise was an issue for me previously, and whilst I loved the car, I was somewhat perturbed by how much noisier it was than my 744. There is barely anything to call between them now, and I drove the Torslanda home from the fitter's shop in the wet-looking forward to seeing how it fares noise wise in the dry...should be great.
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 19:08   #20
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Same you had to go a size smaller but at least it will drive better with now having to correct type of tyres fitted
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post: